Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kelbo's in VENTURA ! , what gives?

Pages: 1 21 replies

Well it is news to me, but there was a kelbo's in ventura california, anybody got any pics or info??. I am in shock!.

RR

On 2005-03-09 17:42, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
Well it is news to me, but there was a kelbo's in ventura california, anybody got any pics or info??. I am in shock!.

As you see, I live in Ventura. Give me the address & I'll go look for it at lunchtime.

oops, I failed to mention this was probably 40 years ago!, I just did not know about a ventura location, only fairfax and WLA. TWT

RR

Still, if you find an address, i'll see what strip mall is there now. Or if you can give we a time it was open I can go down to the library & find the address from old telephone books.

TWT........don't be messin with the 805ers. Give us more info.......something!!!!! There was the Tradewinds in Oxnard (anyone that can send me a mug or menu from there will be greatly rewarded), and there may have been others as I remember a matchbook on ebay a couple years back for Jue's Polynesian Restaurant (there still is a Jue's market on Main St.) How did you hear that there was a Kelbo's in Ventura?

There were only 2 Kelbo's - Pico and Fairfax.

(I'll do something weird to a small animal if I'm wrong. But I'm not usually wrong, hence, not many small animals have been brutalized.)

OOPS!, never post when extra stupid, the place was "Kelbo's Ventura", 13562 ventura blvd, sherman oaks, cal. ph# STate4-4014. Now lets hit the books boys and girls!.

P

There WAS a tiki place on Ventura Blvd. Once upon a time. It would have been in Encino or Sherman Oaks (I was a kid, I don't remember the details well). I seem to recall it having a name like Bora Bora or Bali Hai or something like that. AN island name. I don't think it was a Kelbo's, though. The only Kelbo's I remember was the one on Pico.

Bong, y'better find a varmint to nail!.

I'm already on it TW T!

I wonder how long the Ventura location was open? I'll have to ask Bamboo Ben if his Grandfather did that one also, as he did the other 2.

The boys at O.A. should know something about this.
One of the two "Tahitian"s (BOT p.152) was at 12010 Ventura Blvd., so that can't be it, but I remember Leroy telling me that the Bora Bora in Encino overextended itself on their lavish decor (see BOT p.66 for mini village diorama behind bar, and p. 67 for night exterior diorama) so far that they went bankrupt and somebody else took it over for a while . I just can't find it's street address, maybe it's the same...?

Here is the present establishment, which is kinda of ironic....Aren’t all TCers kind of "young at heart".
(Oh, nice try Unga, give it up.)

Woodcrest Preschool
Phone: (818) 783-2930
13562 Ventura Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-03-13 21:28 ]

I think that this was on ventura blvd in the valley, but not in the ity of ventura. I could be wrong, but that is how I read it.

Bong, we need a pic to show you are a man of your word........

y'know, other than the BBOT and a couple shots at Bens, I have never seen any Kelbo's pictures from the day, not inside or out!. Didn't anyone shoot photos while lit?.I would love to see an inside shot from the WLA location of a booth or an entryway shot. Keep thine eyes peeled.

i grew up about a mile or less from that s.o. ventura blvd. address. and i'm pretty sure c.b. went to nursery school at that location? so it predates 1965-66-ish...
funny to think he went to a apres-kelbos nursery school!

the original buildings as i remember were one story wooden structure(s) - could be the same building but they've been vastly overhauled beyond recognition.

in addition to the tahitian... there was also a tiki-ish steakhouse with bar on ventura blvd. in encino called the "samoa house" - i ate there as a kid and have a mug from it. it's now a burger king :(

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2005-03-14 20:29 ]

I have totally hit the wall on info for this place!. I have been asking around to no avail. you guys have any luck?

This old menu shows the building on Fairfax:

But on the bad side (bad for twowheelin', and any small varmints in the vicinity of Bong's nail gun), it lists additional locations in BRENTWOOD and MANCHESTER! Unfortunately, this was a lousy e-bay picture from an auction I lost, so I can't read the exact addresses. More headaches for you, TW, I'm afraid.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-03-21 11:40 ]

Me nevva hear bout any those locations, neither Ventura Blvd, nor Brentwood/Manchester!
All I know is Fairfax was the first, then came Pico, and both were Polynesian style.

Maybe these others were just little "Rib Shacks" that licensed the name and the recipe, but not fully decked out Tiki temples?

Twowheelin Dude!
Did you "Photoshop" this matchbook? :sheckymug:

I came across that matchbook on eBay recently. It sold for over 20 bucks! I was very impressed.

I saw it on ebat and copied it there. It started the whole thing......and I lost the bid for over $23.00!!!

Pages: 1 21 replies