Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Starting a Tiki Event

Pages: 1 2 replies

UJ

Hanford, I hope I placed this in the right catagory. If not, I'll say "I'm sorry" right now.

I have a question for all of you how have pulled together a Tiki bash at an old tiki establishment, such as the Hukilau. I am planning a 30th b-day party for myself, but I would also like to turn it into a yearly party (with out it being my b-day). What are the best moves in the book to talk to managment and such to get this approved the correct way?

I have two spots located: The KoKo Inn in Lubbock or the Kona Kai in Dumas, TX. This week my wahine and I are going to go to the Kona Kai and make our decision if we want to hold my party there. I have already contacted the KoKo Inn in Lubbock (which is actually closer to where we live) and they are interested in knowing how many people and such. I really appreciate anyone's input.

Oh and how can I get the managment to help convert these establishments to a more tiki feel? (such as getting a few idols around here or there)

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2005-03-06 20:08 ]

Uncle John,
The Hukilau and the Florida Ohana Laua at the Hawaiian Inn both started because a few of us got talking on TC about meeting at Trader Vics, Atlanta and later the Hawaiian Inn, Daytona on a particular date. In both situations, members on this board wanted to join in, the first events happened and they took off from there. This was especially true at the Atlanta Hukilau because Swanky (Tim) and Tiki Kaliki (Christy) planned all sorts of extra activities and really opened peoples' eyes to how enjoyable these events could be.
In fact, the idea to hold the Hukilau at the Mai-Kai happened because a bunch of people from Florida enjoyed the first Hukilau in Atlanta so much, we wanted to have our own party at the Mai-Kai. Tim and Christy were excited about the idea too and opted to move their party south. The rest is history.
In my mind the best thing to do is fix a date about four months in advance, come up with a reasonably priced hotel where people can stay, and start posting info. on the restaurant/bar so people have a feel for what they are going to be visiting.
The little party we do at the Hawaiian Inn is meant to be intimate. Everyone makes their own reservations and there is no fee other than the normal prices for the show, food, beverages, etc. We don't have vendors either. All of this makes it really easy for me. I just tell the manager of the restaurant when we will be there and approxiamtely how many peole are coming. In four years of doing this, we usually have about 30 people for the party which is a nice number that lets everybody get to know each other, plus we can all squeeze into a suite for afterhours partying. We don't promote this event outside of TC and Tiki News; although we generally have a few visitors from out-of-state which adds alot of flavor to the gathering. We also hold it in January so as not to conflict with other events. and to take advantage of Florida's climate.
As for the Hukilau, that's a huge scale event requiring tons of work. All I can say about that is mahalo God for people like Tim, Christy, Bre-elle, Tristan and now James (TikiBars).
Overall, I would say don't be afraid to plan your event, just don't overcommit to the restaurant and figure the number of people who say they will come will be different than the number who actually show up. Whether this is a larger or smaller number is impossible to say.
The TCers in the DC area and in New York have also done parties at restaurants so they can probably add their advice to this.
Good luck!
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-07 05:41 ]

Damn I can't believe I forgot this post!

KG,
Thanks for the info. I'm hopeing that my party will be small, but I want everyone to know that when it's announced, I'll need to know how many I can tell the hotel is coming. The back-up hotel has told me that Texas Tech plays at home that weekend, so they may fill up fast. I hopeing the Kona Kai in Dumas is even worth checking into. I have a weird vibe about it. When I checked the Dumas COC website, the hotel was listed as the Dumas Inn. And they boasted "100 newly decorated rooms." I fear that maybe the final nail in the coffin for the Kona Kai.
I am having trouble coming up with a good proposal for the hotel (either one), about the even becoming a yearly tradition. I guess we will see how many people show interest in it first. I would like to have a tiki auction at the hotel, along with a small market place for carvers and other artists. I do know that the tikis that once stood guard at both places are probably long gone due to the "pagan influences it has" but I'm willing to try convince the GMs of the hotels to possibly display tikis on the property, permentaly. I say this b/c I have been in the "lounge' at the KoKo Inn here in Lubbock, and let me tell you, "honky-tonk" is over done in this damn state. I need a plan to help convert it back to a classy joint. But I guess that should be another thread, huh.

Pages: 1 2 replies