Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A Tribute to Martin Denny

Pages: 1 11 replies

May I suggest the following tribute to the loss of the great Martin Denny:

Since Tiki Central spans the world, and Martin Denny touched the hearts and souls (and ears) of those around the world, let us use that to raise a proper tribute to the passing of one of the 'greats.'

On Thursday, March 10, at 9 pm in your time zone light a candle or tiki torch, mix a drink and play an hour of your favorite Martin Denny music. It will be a 24 hour tribute to a great man and great musician as the 9 pm hour moves around the world.

Martin Denny, you will be missed but never forgotten.

If you try you will find me, where the sky meets the sea, your special island, come to me, come to me...

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy on 2005-03-04 06:31 ]

D

I think that is a fitting tribute!

D

Hey, here's another idea. Why doesn't Tiki Centeral sponser a contest to create a tropical drink named after Mr. Denny--like they did with the other drink contest. That would be nice. Then we can all drink a toast to Martin Denny with a Martin Denny cocktail!

a few of us were at the emeryville trader vic's last night and almost forgot to toast to the late great mr. denny...

blame it on the staff for wanting to push us out at 10, when everyone was just starting to show up.

also in his honor, humuhumu took a picture of herself laying across two chairs at trader vics with her famous TOES! Mr smiley got a picture of this amazing "feat" - he might show it to you if you buy him a drink...

My tribute will be this coming Tuesday during my DJ gig at Fu Kun Wu, 5410 Ballard Ave. in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle starting at 8 PM. I'll feature his music for most of the evening.

I'm bumping this topic.

I think C&A have a great idea here! And I know that everyone has-or-is-going-to pay tribute to Martin Denny in their own way. I encourage everyone to post their experiences of their own tributes to Martin Denny in this topic. Let's give him the TC sendoff he deserves. I've been listening to him all week and will be for quite some time ....

Thursday, 9 pm. I'm in.

F

I work 2nd shift, so raising a mai tai is pretty much out, but I will be playing Martin Denny's music all night long with Quiet Village being played at 9 sharp.

Ah hell, I'll sneak in a drink too!

Just about to go mix up a batch..

Smile looking up to the sky with the tais flowin and the tunes too!

B

Another hour to go till the 9 o'clock Tribute.
Martin Denny R.I.P.

The day I heard the sad news I was here at work.
I had my little cry and proceeded to listen to Mr. Denny for the rest of the afternoon, thinking also of Gecko and the close friendship the two of them had.

My Mom(also my boss) was in the room where my office is and agreed with the music. I looked through my cupboards and found a copy of Quiet Village amongst my other Hawaiian and exotica records. My Mom told me that she had a copy of it when she was young, and it was one of the very first, if not the first record she ever bought. My Dad was also apparently fond of Martin Denny and is sure he has a copy of "Exotica" somewhere around his house.

I'll be listening & sipping at 9pm, with a toast to Martin Denny that only he and my pets will hear.

You're well loved Mr. Denny.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2005-03-10 17:19 ]

To Martin Denny,his family and friends, Thank you. You will be missed.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:11 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies