Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NW Tiki Crawl 2005 Official Thread!

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

BULLETIN: NW TIKI CRAWL ADDS BONUS FOR EARLY TICKET PURCHASE
SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS

Purchase tickets for the NW TIKI CRAWL before May 23rd and receive a free CD from Seattle mixmaster Selector Lopaka. “Music to Crawl By 2: Crawling Home” is another fine collection of obscure and delicious exotica to enhance your crawling experience. This is a NW TIKI exclusive, not available in stores! Production will be limited to the amount of tickets purchased before May 23rd.

Those who have already purchased tickets will receive a cd as thanks for supporting us. Those who have not bought tickets should do so soon! If you are interested in the Home Tiki Bar Tour, the bus is nearly full, and seats are going fast.

Mugs are also in limited supply, a run of no more than 100. Be the first to own a Tikitronic original mug, inspired by tiki in the Northwest.

Don’t miss out on the chance to be a part of the Northwest’s premium tiki event. Buy your tickets today and be a part of the event, get a free cd to commemorate your experience.

Mahalo!
The NW Tiki Crawl Cabal

http://forum.nwtiki.com/
http://www.nwtiki.com/

Sweeeeet!

Can't wait to groove to the CD, I'll be able to listen on the way to the crawl!

I'm confirmed for this event one hundred percent!

Tickets bought, husband has flight home booked, now I just have to book hotel rooms.

38 days and counting!!

Just so you all know - and you all have fair warning - we are getting "DOWN THERE" on the bus seats for the home bar tour (meaning a handful are left). If your on the fence about gettting your tickets - don't wait. Get them now!!! I don't want to hear any bitching later! Okay - you have been warned!

Go to http://www.nwtiki.com for details!

[ Edited by: Maori_man on 2005-05-11 23:45 ]

T

BULLETIN: THE NW TIKI CRAWL BUS UPDATE

Worried about how you’ll catch the Home Bar Tour Bus, especially with the hangover you expect to have on Sunday? Your concerns have been taken care of! NW TIKI has arranged to have the tour begin at our official hotel, The Jupiter Hotel! If you are planning to check out on Sunday, the bus will have cargo room to stow your luggage.

Remember, you only have until May 23rd (only 4 days!) to order your tickets to get your FREE original cd, “Music to Crawl By 2: Crawling Home” by Selector Lopaka.

The Crawl is filling up fast, the bus is nearly sold out. If you have been putting off purchasing your tickets, don’t wait any longer! This is shaping up to be an event not to be missed.

Coming up: information about the great tiki vendors that will be displaying their wares and the raffle prizes you’ll be dying to win!

Mahalo!
The NW Tiki Crawl Cabal

http://forum.nwtiki.com/
http://www.nwtiki.com/

Looking forward to making it back this year to vend again!

For anyone not wanting to miss fathers day, I reccommend simply celebrating the following week (its pretty arbitrary anyway, not like Christmas or birthdays.) Just make sure to bring back lots of fine gifts for Dad from the vendors at the NW tiki crawl... :wink:

On 2005-05-11 23:44, Maori_man wrote:
Just so you all know - and you all have fair warning - we are getting "DOWN THERE" on the bus seats for the home bar tour (meaning a handful are left). If your on the fence about gettting your tickets - don't wait. Get them now!!! I don't want to hear any bitching later! Okay - you have been warned!

Go to http://www.nwtiki.com for details!

[ Edited by: Maori_man on 2005-05-11 23:45 ]

Okay folks don't say you didn't have fair warning! The Sunday Home Bar tour bus has officially SOLD OUT!! Thanks to all of you who purchased your Big Kahuna Package tickets as well as the Huki's out there. Tickets for the rest of the event are still available and are here: http://www.nwtiki.com

Mahalo!

M

Hey all - just a friendly reminder that tickets to the main events for the NW Tiki Crawl are still available! Click on the Banner ad above or go here: http://www.nwtiki.com for event and purchase info.

Hope to see you in a few weeks!

I'm ready!
I'm ready!
I'm ready!

Is there a list happening anywhere?

M

Pre tel? A list for what? Attendies? Locations? Types of Cheeses?

well, all the other fancy schmancy hoity toity events have an attendees list,

I figure we should have one too!

M

START THE THREAD!!! START THE THREAD!!!

peer pressure!!

M

Hey you started this - finish it!

C'mon I double dog dare you!

D

holycow! i was obsessively checking nwtiki.com for new messages (only 9 days to go!) ~ and WOW ~ there's a HUGE guide to Portland... everything from thrift stores, clubs, bars, restaurants and breweries ~ even a list of taxi companies!!

i think we'll need a month to do it all! Portland is our favorite local weekend getaway destination, so i've printed a copy to bring along. and im gonna figure out how to load a pdf onto my pda!

we got a room at the Jupiter ~ (dogs are staying home with the dog nanny). i'm so excited!!

elicia

Fantastic!
I'll definitely be printing that out. Thanks for the heads up elicia!

We've decided to add a night to the trip, arriving on Thursday instead of Friday evening. NEED MORE TIME!
We'll be at the Jupiter as well, happy happy joy joy

S

Does anyone know if tickets will be available at the door of The Jasmine Tree for Sat. Nites festivities? And how much?

Take a look at the NW Tiki Crawl website forum - I answered it there. In short - Yes they will.

Congrats on the terrific Guide to Portland PDF! Wow, super cool - great work guys. Kudos to whoever put that together! Thanks!

Sounds like Thurs evening at the Jupiter bar is a good place to pre-welcome Tikiphiles coming from all corners... I may drop by and say Hi!!

:)

Just added Thursday night to our stay, no sense in rushing it :)

Doug Fir Lounge Thursday Eve? Sounds like a plan to me!

Taking a look through the Tiki Crawl Portland PDF, the Jen-Jen Safari Club looks excellent.

I also found some photos with some typical Portlanders in the club:
http://fidgit.org/gallery/sophisticates/DSCN2647
http://fidgit.org/gallery/sophisticates/DSCN2704

S

Man, I went thru all those pics, and only about 5 of them showed any of the animals, and four of those were animals in the back ground. I was also noticing how bare the walls looked, then I noticed a pic that had dark spots on the wall where some of the mounts USED TO BE !! It's been awhile since I've been out there(it's a good 45 min out of Portland) and I'm wondering how much is missing from it's glory days. I lived there when it was built, and I've seen it go from something almost as cool as a well done Tiki Bar/Restaurant to the Chinese food place w/ some wierd stuffed animal displays that it is today.
I know Estacada has changed alot since the days when there was no law, and heavy drinking out of work loggers ruled the streets, but I'd still packing a gun just in case. And watch out for deer crossing the highway. You're not considered a true local until you've got hair hanging from your smashed in grill!

todd and i are leaving seattle in a few minutes. we've rented a minivan, and its stuffed with the bar and stools!

we dont have a laptop ~ so the best way to get us is by cellphone

Seamus: find us at the Jupiter, and lets see how we can store this thing.. cuz Monkeyskull wants to ride with us

Monkeyskull: got your email.. look for us at the J ~ we'll find a way to stuff you into a nook or cranny!

Portland here we come!

A giant Thank You to all who organized the crawl. It was so much fun!! The events were amazing; every detail so well planned for maximum enjoyment.

It was wonderful to meet everyone. It feels like the end of of summer camp. I don't want everyone to leave and go home.

Thank you so much to all who visited our home tiki bar. We were so honored to have you all there.

Very Best,
Gem

P.S. When is the next Alabi Happy Hour?

We second all of the above!

The event was very well planned, the food and drinks were great, the artists and vendors were top-notch (we totally scored on some great new tiki art), and the music was fantastic.

Our thanks to the organizers and everyone else who worked to make the 2005 NW Tiki Crawl run like a well coconut-oiled machine. We met some great people and are looking forward to hanging out with you all again soon.

Aloha & Mahalo,

Sailor Curt & Melissa

W

I was really impressed by the work of the organizers. The whole time at the Alibi I kept seeing them meet, discuss check stuff, do it again. The place also never looked or sounded better...Some of that due to Seamus' over the top display for his wares which was practically a whole Tiki bar environment in itself.

In other news: Hey unknown lady who bought item #10 from me, you never picked it up.

T

I'm glad to hear a good time was had by all (most)!

Gem, we usually do Tiki Happy Hour at the Alibi the first Friday of the month. I think. Except probably not for July, since that's a holiday weekend. We'll keep you posted.

Thanks to everyone who came out to the Crawl, you guys are the best! It's the people who make it truly special.

On 2005-06-20 08:32, woofmutt wrote:
In other news: Hey unknown lady who bought item #10 from me, you never picked it up.

Crap I knew I forgot something when I left for the Jasmine Tree! I was suppose to take that over and make an announcement about it.....sorry man. Too much to do too little time. Glad you had a good time.

Thanks to all of you out there for showing up and having fun. That's what it's all about! Now I am going to bed for a few days - wiped out!

M

Thanks to everyone for coming and making this the best Northwest Tiki Crawl yet! We had a huge blast during the event, which for organizers is a rare, rare happening. It was our honor to be able to provide a fun, easy going, and uniquely Northwest event for you all.

Soon we'll have a gallery page for everyone to upload their choice photos to (should you wish).

Cheers!

Thank you everyone!! From the people who organized, to the gracious hosts of home tiki bars and the exciting bunch of people who attended. We had a ball and I plan on attending the next one.

We met so many wonderful people and I wish I could remember all your names. I remember your faces, I remember your style and clothes and I remember the conversations. That, and all the visual information in my head, is nearly causing my brain to lock up...there's just no room for names. Maybe next year.

A huge thank you to all our guests, vendors, entertainers and sponsors! We organizers had a blast. Far from being burned out, we're already planning for next year. To that end, we ask that all attendees who have thoughts, ideas, complaints or suggestions about next year please speak up in the appropriate forum at the NW Tiki Crawl website (http://www.nwtiki.com). We're looking forward to hearing how we can make next year's event even more fun for you!

Also, as I mentioned on the bus, it would be most helpful if those of you who are so inclined would drop a line to our generous sponsors to tell them how much you appreciated their involvement with the Crawl. This, more than anything, will help us to make next year the best Crawl yet!

D

A gigantic THANK YOU to the NW Crawl Organizers ~ pulling together the venues, the hotel, bands, sponsors, vendors, home bar tour ~ giving us Swag Bags, Raffle Prizes and keeping us entertained for 3 days and nights! And not to forget the hand poured NW Crawl Mug!!

Todd and I had a fantastic time in Portland! we felt we got SO much more than we deserved! the swag bag was my favorite! no wait, the buffet was my favorite.. no..wait.. it was the bus.. ok, i can’t pick a favorite. it was ALL GOOD.

We’ve always loved The Alibi ~ but this time everything seems to sparkle! There’s a new breath of life in the restaurant and the staff. The food is always a great value, and we jazzed that you got us free happy hour buffet! We got our usual waiter, Alex, who did a great job of keeping us fed and our beverages topped off! Three cheers to Larry, the owner, for dusting off the lamps and making us all feel so welcome!

Susan and the Surftones and Lushy at Jasmine Tree were terrific.

Home Bar Tour Hosts & Hostesses ~ thank you for opening your houses and liquor cabinets to us! I now have the urge to put mannequins in my house…

I don’t remember the names of everyone we met ~ but I’m sure we’ll see you at the next NW Crawl ~ but more likely, sooner than that!

Thank You * Thank You * Thank You!!!

Where will the next generation of tiki bartenders come from? My father in law passed his bar test:

But thejab may have to hold back my son:

Thanks to tikiwonder for the great pics and to all the ohana that made the event so much fun.

T
P

Wow, what a great weekend ! Many many thanks to the NW Tiki Crawl Ohana for all their efforts in putting together such a fun 3 day event... Selector Lopaka and I had a blast ! It was great to see everyone again, and also to meet more of the TC ohana. It was great to have an evening at the Castaway Cove, as well as to be back at the Alibi & Jasmine Tree for Saturday's festivities. Thanks to all the talented artists for vending, we are glad to have some great new tiki art additions for our home. Also many thanks to the hosts & hostesses on Sunday's home bar tour that kindly opened their homes for us all to gather. Looking forward to next year's event !

For those who would like to thank the sponsors for their participation, here are some email addresses:

Tiki Cargo - Shaun Cusik - [email protected]
Cruzan - Sam Ham - [email protected]
Spirits West (Cruzan Distributor) - Todd Parry - [email protected]
Munktiki - Stuckey - [email protected]
Tiki Farm - Holden - [email protected]
Jupiter Hotel - Al Munguia - [email protected]
Antique Alley - Roy - [email protected]
Tiki Mac - Roby Sherman - [email protected]
3D Spirits (Voodoo/Redrum) - Dan DaDalt - [email protected]

I know they'd love to hear from you, and your kind words will make it easier to secure them for sponsorship of next year's event.

Also, if you'd like to upload your folders to the gallery, go here:

http://www.nwtiki.com/gallery

Register/Login and you can create an album to upload pics (they upload button is at the top).

everyone has a quota of 5MB, so keep 'em web sized! :D

Best line I heard on the 2005 NW Tiki Crawl: TikiMama to Humuhumu as the latter explained that she never wins anything while picking up her tikimac prize, "Yes, yes, it just sucks to be you."

Below are some photos from the crawl. More can be found here

One of many corners in Castaway Cove

Solid Gold Dancer and Andy from Lushy on the Jasmine Tree dance floor

Tiki crawlers crowd in to glimpse the legendary Coconut Cove bathroom wallpaper

Thanks one more time to all the organizers, hosts, and artists for another swell crawl.

That rainbow pic is AWESOME!!!
Especially for Pride Week!

T

On 2005-06-23 08:08, purple jade wrote:
That rainbow pic is AWESOME!!!
Especially for Pride Week!

Sunday night's sky was so weird. It just glowed orange and then the rainbows came out. Wow! I thought someone spiked my punch with something stronger on the home bar tour! No wonder so many deadheads like to live in Portland.

S

A friend of mine went to Rocky Butte (a small Mtn. in the middle of the city) that night when the massive thunderhead rolled in from the south. He said you could see Mt. St.Helens shooting out steam from the north, as the sky turned red and lightning was streaking in all directions. He said everyone left immediately when the thunder and the flash hit simultaneously.

The emergency broadcast interrupted programming to warn of possible tornadoes!

W

"The emergency broadcast interrupted programming to warn of possible tornadoes!"

Mystery solved: We were in the Alibi that evening and twice we heard the Emergency Alert signal come across the Alibi's FM/sattelite music channel, once with an ominous "turn to channel 14". The staff gave it no attention and as the Alibi is windowless we we're imagining nuclear destruction or an alien invasion just outside the door but figured we were in one of the best places to spend the final hours of civilization before the mutant zombie Martians took over.

On 2005-06-22 22:45, monkeyskull wrote:
Best line I heard on the 2005 NW Tiki Crawl: TikiMama to Humuhumu as the latter explained that she never wins anything while picking up her tikimac prize, "Yes, yes, it just sucks to be you."

Best one I heard was:

"Have you ever TOUCHED a monkey?"
short pause "No, but I've spanked one."

All parties shall remain anonymous.

hahaha, lizard, that's GREAT!

It's a good thing there aren't video cameras recording these events, can you imagine all the conversations that might be taken out of context?

Snippets of debauchery induced conversation?

Of course it would be funny as H-E-double hockey sticks.

RB

I for one am glad there is no video of the end of Sunday's home bar tour! The last thing I remember is watching Mr. Tikibar's father-in-law laughing and smiling and pouring drinks.

Pages: 1 2 91 replies