Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

Went out strollin' today. Here are my finds.

Tan Canteenki Mug (Munktiki), Moai junior mug (Munktiki ) Both were purchased at Freak Factory in San Diego. Squid Tiki Farm Skull from Bamboo 2 U in Leucadia.

Napkins, coasters and eraser heads from The Longboard Grotto in Encinitas. By they way, they are having a "going out of business sale", which is very sad. It's a fantastic store that specializes in longboards. They also carry tons of surf memorablia, magazines, old surf stickers, large selection of clothes. Most stuff is 25% off right now. I would imagine the discounts will get bigger.
I purchased the cookbook and the pamphlets at an antique store in Ocean Beach (San Diego). Here are more pics of those.

Awesome illustration. It tells people what to wear when visiting the islands.

inside of What To Wear.

From The Willows in Hawaii. It talks about how big a fan Arthur Godfrey is of the place.

Inside of The Willows.

Cool pamphlet for Woods of Hawaii. It's all monkey pod carvings.

Shows tables (with prices)

And tons of serving pieces (with prices).
It was printed in 1956.

BK

Kinda quiet lately. Just a few items:

A few mugs, common, but I actually didn't have any of them. My first Tiki Farm mug found in the wild.

Neat little plate. Does anybody know anything about it? On the front it says Lahaina, Maui & it's incribed on the back: "Paddle-man" Hawaii by ili? I'm not sure about the signature.

Picked up this little rattan stool at a Hot Rod show for $10.00.
I'll keep looking. I'm sure I'll find more.

On 2008-07-06 16:02, Tikisgrl wrote:

Lyon's Bowl in Lyons Illinois, back of the card says visit our beautiful Hawaiian cocktail lounge. the front shows the bar with palm tree's in the middle.

okay- read this post and put on my urban archaeology hat and went looking.....here's what i found...

lyon's is next to the town where i live..it's located on route 66......there is only one bowling alley in lyon's and it's called the forest view bowl...we went there tonight and discovered that the building has been there since the 50's....it has all the ear marks of 50's googie architecture but 15 years ago, the corporation of amf bought the place.....we found out that the bar itself was much bigger than what it is now..and that the whole place went through a number of remodels......there was no sign of anything remotely tiki or hawaiian.....i need for you to post a pic of the postcard so i can compare it with what i have seen to confirm that this is the place....

T
Tiare posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 9:54 PM

Tikisgrl- Could you photo this when you have a minute.

"Lyon's Bowl in Lyons Illinois, back of the card says visit our beautiful Hawaiian cocktail lounge. the front shows the bar with palm tree's in the middle."

I use to drive thru Lyons all the time and can't believe they had a tiki bar, would love to see it.

thanks.

N

On 2008-07-06 13:06, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Recent stuff that I found hidden behind some benehanas mugs at the swap meet:

or the Tiki spoon without the fork?

The fork's at my place. Which one of us will make the sacrifice to reunite them?

T

Went thrifting yesterday and found Arthur Lyman's "Taboo" on vinyl for 85 cents!! Also found Don Ho's Greatest Hits with the plastic still on. Happy day :)

Tiki finds from the last couple of weeks...

Some crude carved wooden bookends, a Trader Dick's peanut mug, a Trader Vic's speckled fog cutter mug, a Libbey Prom mug, 1 small Hapawood tiki, 1 small HIP Lava Tiki, a Hurricane glass from the 500 Club in New Orleans (Not Tiki, but cool) and a Treasurecraft Hawaii 50th State Ashtray.

Really happy with the Trader Vics mug, just don't find stuff like that in Nebraska often.

Just found this guy at an estate sale this morning for $20...

a pic for DUKE.panel 83"X14.25" the opening is 12"X6.25"

and another ,just to tease.

Wow, really great finds, especially yours, David.

Here is what I picked up today...

Small two-faced ceramic tiki mugs, unmarked.

Had the blue one in the middle. They stack inside each other pretty good.

This looks like a Westwood mug, though unmarked.

Found this wood carved "War God".

And his twin brother, whom someone decided to paint like Spiderman. Anyone have some tips for removing the paint from this guy? I seriously want to take the paint off without hurting the wood!

Good start to the weekend!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-07-11 15:12 ]

Instead of taking the paint off, how about fleckstoning it?

Spray paint it flat black, let it dry. Then take tan or sand color spray paint, flood it on a rag or sponge, the wipe it down. This way all the high spots get tan and all the cracks stay black.

Good weekend of hunting even up here in Michigan. First off A Don the Beachcomber mug unused with original tag. And a Trader Vic's grenadine bottle half full with a date of 1946 on the label.

Here's a couple of pics of the label and the embossed Vic's logo tiki on the bottle.

Next are a couple of scrap books from Hawaii. One dated 1965 and another 1976. One has a ton of stuff from Coco Palms. Airline tickets and a bunch of other goodies. I,ll post some of the items from the scrap books in another thread. It's a good day when the old jeep can turn into a time machine. Thanks

Here are my finds from this weekend.

Went to an estate sale yesterday and found the coaster and napkins.

Also, I found these drink books. I had to get the Bacardi one for the Cheese Pate Pineapple recipe.

Got some more shirts today.

I came across a few mugs, and I couldn't pass up the gold plaster tiki.

I haven't done much thrifting in the past month and the finds have been meagre.

PMP "peanut" and two-faced Aloha Hawaii coffee mug.

Ugly mug from the Boston Kon Tiki.

The Sally Ann has a whole bin of assorted big spoons and forks.

found this mug at a thrifty a little while ago for 1$

its from kahuna ville at treasure island in las vegas, does anyone have any info on the maker of the mug? its seems like some kinda cheap-o mug, but im just curious, thanks

anyone know what poolside pineapple is? maybe the drink that came in the mug

Here are some pics of the Witco Elvis Jungle Room furniture. Not sure what it would be worth. There is another piece that did not get photographed because it's in the garage it's the bookshelf piece. If I have done this right there should be a picture of the ottoman,coffee table, end table, chair, corner unit, and sofa. Any feedback you all have out there would be great.
Thanks

On 2008-07-11 15:10, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Wow, really great finds, especially yours, David.

Here is what I picked up today...

Small two-faced ceramic tiki mugs, unmarked.

Had the blue one in the middle. They stack inside each other pretty good.

This looks like a Westwood mug, though unmarked.

Found this wood carved "War God".

And his twin brother, whom someone decided to paint like Spiderman. Anyone have some tips for removing the paint from this guy? I seriously want to take the paint off without hurting the wood!

Good start to the weekend!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-07-11 15:12 ]

i find that sandblasting them works great..you can then repaint it or restain it...

On 2008-07-14 07:46, jmayer2112 wrote:
Here are some pics of the Witco Elvis Jungle Room furniture. Not sure what it would be worth. There is another piece that did not get photographed because it's in the garage it's the bookshelf piece. If I have done this right there should be a picture of the ottoman,coffee table, end table, chair, corner unit, and sofa. Any feedback you all have out there would be great.
Thanks

Wow those are incredible pieces!! I think in your earlier post you said that your family bought all that new didn't you? Amazing, it's very rare to see such a large collection come up for sale! I sent you a PM with my thoughts on value. You'll probably get the most money if you break the set up, but it sure would be nice to see it stay intact. Good luck with the sale!

On 2008-07-14 11:01, TikiTres wrote:

Thanks

Wow those are incredible pieces!! I think in your earlier post you said that your family bought all that new didn't you? Amazing, it's very rare to see such a large collection come up for sale! I sent you a PM with my thoughts on value. You'll probably get the most money if you break the set up, but it sure would be nice to see it stay intact. Good luck with the sale!

have we 'ever' found out where this guy is?

On 2008-07-14 11:38, TIKI DAVID wrote:

On 2008-07-14 11:01, TikiTres wrote:

Thanks

have we 'ever' found out where this guy is?

i believe he is in florida...i'm sure i saw it in his first post..if not than it was in one of the p.m.'s he sent me...

Yes, we are in Florida the furniture is near Orlando. LOL by the way this guy is a girl :)Thank you for all your help everyone. The parents are in no hurry to sell it so I have time to do the research to figure out what would be the best way to sell it. I too would like to be able to sell it as one lot but I do think your right it would bring more sold by the piece I think. It would be a little sad to see it broke up since it's been complete set together since purchase. I think the condition is pretty good it didn't get very much use over all these years.

On 2008-07-13 22:15, tikithomas08 wrote:
found this mug at a thrifty a little while ago for 1$

I haven't seen this mug in green, but Oriental Trading Company sold them in sapphire/cobalt blue. I have about a dozen of them still in the box. The only info on these is a small sticker stating that it was made in China. They still sell the bigger plastic cups that look similar to this mug, but have discontinued the ceramic ones.

A quick search on the google and this is what came up.
http://www.poolsidepineapple.com/cart_pages/shopping%20page%20tropical.htm

and here: http://www.poolsidepineapple.com/cart_pages/TROPICAL/cer_b001.html

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2008-07-14 14:32 ]

Saw quite a few mugs this weekend and at pretty good prices. A lady I buy stuff from occasionally had some Islander mugs in the $5.00-$15.00 range. She also had a large Witco cat with two smaller cats for $275.00, but I passed on them this time around.

This was my only purchase...

Islander Mr. Peanut mug, sticker on the bottom, $5.00...from the same lady. I had the quite a few of the other mugs she was selling. alohacurrent picked up an Islander Pineapple lidded mug from the same lady as well.

Nice Witco furniture in the earlier post!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-07-14 15:01 ]

On 2008-07-14 14:22, jmayer2112 wrote:
Yes, we are in Florida the furniture is near Orlando. LOL by the way this guy is a girl :)Thank you for all your help everyone. The parents are in no hurry to sell it so I have time to do the research to figure out what would be the best way to sell it. I too would like to be able to sell it as one lot but I do think your right it would bring more sold by the piece I think. It would be a little sad to see it broke up since it's been complete set together since purchase. I think the condition is pretty good it didn't get very much use over all these years.

if you are in orlando ,you should contact KARBORA here on TC she has a few pieces and is knows quite abit about WITCO.and she is in orlando also. send her a p.m.

folk art TIKI from the 60's

thanks uncle john!

Hey PTD, Try this:

Sometimes the importer guys paint the ones that are moldy when they come out of the container, so the wood might be stained under the paint.

Finds:

CocoJoes KU

Coco joe s Monster leaf napkin holder

A pair of Trader Dicks peanut mugs

Two old Trader Vic's Samoan fogcutter mugs:

One has an extra stamp on the hut that the other does not:

A King K Jim Beam decanter from 1971

Some Tiki establishment matches

Kona kai and a pair of topless mermaids

Hawaii and Disneii matches

On 2008-07-07 11:42, Naneki wrote:
The fork's at my place. Which one of us will make the sacrifice to reunite them?

You can have it. I just got these to keep him company in the meantime:

Buzzy Out!

finds of the day! not all witco is big! this little whale brought me a
smile.the older hawaiian shirts are getting hard to find around here.
too many people like me wear them year round here in the sunshine state.

On 2008-07-15 17:12, floridatiki wrote:

Not to rain on yr Florida sunshine...but I don't think that cute li'l whale is a Witco.

H

couple good ones I wanted to share....
Got this large cooper plated charger from The Makahiki/Hilton. Found it in a Big Island Collectibles store for a surprisingly reasonable price a few months ago. Anyone got one?

Find of the week (so far) older Solomon Islands Bowl. 15" long.

[ Edited by: hecktow 2008-07-17 07:43 ]

S

New to the tiki collecting thing, so I had to start small.

Picked this up at an antique mall:

Orchids of Hawaii, Made in Japan. 2sided, no number. They had two others (single sided) with R-91 stamped in the bottom, but the colors were different and the glaze looked really heavy. Both of them looked muddy. They also had Trader Vic's coconuts for $5 a piece (4 of them).

Needed something to put in it, so I hit the local used bookstore and found this:

Copyright 1946, and in REALLY good condition.

Will

Friends are those who bail you out of jail.
Best friends are those sitting next to you, saying "Damn! That was fun!!!!"
RIP MLG 1970-2003

[ Edited by: Staredge 2008-07-17 14:10 ]

I think I've seen a picture of these little guys on TC somewhere. I don't usually go for salt&pepper shakers... but I couldn't pass up these forlorn faces. Scratched on the bottom of each is "KEN OCORR"... these could be... what do you call it... greenware that people finish themselves pieces?

T

On 2008-07-15 19:52, Slacks Ferret wrote:

On 2008-07-15 17:12, floridatiki wrote:

Not to rain on yr Florida sunshine...but I don't think that cute li'l whale is a Witco.

That might be Witco (although not remotely "tiki"). There was a similar carving of a duck posted on the "Show me your Witco" thread and BigBro responded that it was indeed Witco, here's his quote:

"These lil' guys are Witco's attempts to join the gift item market. The mini Witcos were produced in Canada and offered as "Zoo-ettes" (lil' animals) and as "Fun-Touchables" (in conjunction with gift cards) in the 70s. "

my little whale,

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-07-20 09:46 ]

I found these little statues at a thrift store. They were made in Japan, and I think they're glass. Hard to get a good picture. They're very glary.

On 2008-07-21 10:21, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I found these little statues at a thrift store. They were made in Japan, and I think they're glass. Hard to get a good picture. They're very glary.

take a picture of them outdoors in natural light and the glare will go away...

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:38 ]

On 2008-07-21 13:40, filslash wrote:
The left one is a Rapa Nui Kava Kava and the right one looks maori. Nice!

Thanks for the info, fil. :wink:

Someone pointed out that they look very similar to the little Tangaroa on Page viii of the introduction in Tiki Quest.

More stuff I found out there:

A Hawaiian Distillers coffee liquor bottle, FULL!

Four nice quality 11" x 17" "prints". They are actually pages torn out of a book called "Les Arts Sauvages Oceanie". I would have liked the whole book, but I'll settle for these suitable for framing "prints" instead. Looks like they're printed on acid free paper too.

Those pages came with a 4' yipwon inspired carving:

And finally, a TC lei/shell ashtray:

Buzzy Out!

S

On 2008-07-22 00:14, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
More stuff I found out there:

Those pages came with a 4' yipwon inspired carving:

Buzzy Out!

Yipwon inspired? Looks like the real thing. How many people are out there making yipwon copies?

H

Buzzy if you don't care for the want to be Yipwon peace can I have it? pretty please?

On 2008-07-25 08:31, Swanky wrote:
Yipwon inspired? Looks like the real thing. How many people are out there making yipwon copies?

Well, I know of one: Danny Gallardo aka Tiki Diablo! :) That one is not his, though.
Here are some original ones at the Berlin Dahlem museum:

I got a very nice gift from a good friend yesterday:

It's great to see that there are still surprises out there, I never knew such a thing existed.
It is a plaster reproduction of a very iconic mask in Tikidom, everybody here has seen it!
The source of it is one of the few images I used in BOTH of my books....

Does it ring a bell? Do we know where this primitive came from?

--BING!--

You got it, is is a very good likeness of the grim face on Les Baxter's "Ritual of the Savage" album cover!:

In the Book of Tiki I connected that cover with the menu of "The Palms" in Anaheim,
how great to see that it inspired further reproduction.
Here is the sheet music cover of a little ditty that came out on the above album first:

These three are going to hang up on my wall soon! :)

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 5:07 PM

That album cover just cropped up in my thread too - and I think the Palms menu cover must have been the subconscious inspiration for my latest cannibal piece. I based the layout of my business card on that menu too (my favourite in the BoT by far).

A few finds for the last month:

Very cool Tahitian resin tiki. Anyone else got/seen one? The shape is rather...suggestive.

Best-ever Tang decanter (on the right)...I have yet to find 2 made from the same mold.

I don't often buy LPs (I don't even own a turntable!), but I was at a huge community book sale and these were the only things that caught my eye. I have never even seen a Martin Denny or Arthur Lyman album in my years of searching - like the whole Tiki/Poly Pop movement, I think Exotica pretty much passed us by here in NZ.

Just back from 5 garage sales this morning - no tiki but I did get myself an Atari 2600 with a pile of games for 5 bucks. Time for some Dig Dug!

HOK

On 2008-07-25 17:07, Paipo wrote:
Very cool Tahitian resin tiki. Anyone else got/seen one? The shape is rather...suggestive.

Nice finds Paipo! Got a similar Tiki, but made of wood...a little suggestive...

Freddie

found this today

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies