Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Home Tiki Bars

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

G

Hi Guys,
I am new to the board. Long story short I am from Florida and now living in Michigan. I am building a Tiki bar for my home and I was wondering if any one else had done the same.

Aloha GBetts!

Welcome! If you look at this link, you will see that there is a Tiki Central Photo Archive area where you can scroll down to "Home Tiki Bars" for ideas. The photo archive is new so at this time you won't find pages and pages of pictures, but what is there are sure to get you motivated!

One word of advice if I may:
Decorate to YOUR delight. Don't worry about adding decor that others think are "tiki". Just have fun with it and add what brings a smile to your face, a warmth to your Aloha Spirit....and something to keep the ice cold!

SugarCaddyDaddy

Aloha gbetts,

SugarCaddyDaddy is right. Also, please be advised that a 'tiki bar' is NEVER finished. Like a few other things I can think of, once you start you'll never stop. It will be your monument to tiki...

A

Here's a old post that has several home bars. There are some really great ideas.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1034&forum=1

Mahalo,
Al

Aloha,
Where in Michigan, may I ask?
I have a large number of surfer buds all along the west coast of MI...

Welcome to Tiki Central!

I've got 18 tiki bars on order going out this week! It's starting to finally catch on!!! But, will it be as big as South West was?

S

SugarCaddyDaddy has said, in my humble opinion, one of the most intelligent comments I've seen up here in the past week.

Your tiki world, as it were, is a personal philosophy of life. Not simply a bunch of ceramic bric-a-brak, thatching and over-priced wood carvings. Tiki is your personal expression of freedom of spirit. Sort of a Ying & Yang philosophy of life. A balance that's keeps you mentally and emotionally stable in a bizarre environment that bombs the crap out of a pile of rocks in the Third World, then gives them a band-aid and a Gameboy, expecting them to be grateful.

Tiki, idealistically in my own life, is a frame of mind, not a physical collection of material goods. I'm not sure this is a popular opinion here. I can't help about what I feel. I've chopped my way through real jungles to find that Mayan pyramid. I've slipped on wet rocks and flew over a 50 foot waterfall on Kauai.I watched the Northern Lights and was spiritually moved. I dug my hands into a pile of gray earth in southeastern Montana and unearthed a 65 million year old fossil.

Build the tropical part of your personal world into whatever makes you happy. Other people's attitudes matter not.

On 2003-04-30 01:01, Squawker wrote:
SugarCaddyDaddy has said, in my humble opinion, one of the most intelligent comments I've seen up here in the past week.

Gee, that's kind of sounds like an insult to me...

Tiki, idealistically in my own life, is a frame of mind, not a physical collection of material goods. Build the tropical part of your personal world into whatever makes you happy.

I think most of us on this board already do live by this philosophy. It's why we have such lively debates around here. The members of this board come from very different backgrounds but we're all drawn to one thing - TIKI. Some of us are Collectors, some of us are Urban Archaelogists, some of us are Artists. After spending some time on these boards, you'll see that.

I can't help but feel like you're lecturing to us. And Squawker, the last thing I need is someone lecturing to me about how I'm "not as tiki" as they are.

BINGO!

Game point

POP 1001

Squawker 36

p.s. I think he's just on fire (born again?)

I've chopped my way through real jungles to find that Mayan pyramid. I've slipped on wet rocks and flew over a 50 foot waterfall on Kauai.I watched the Northern Lights and was spiritually moved. I dug my hands into a pile of gray earth in southeastern Montana and unearthed a 65 million year old fossil.

I almost bought a Shag decanter, but nearly shat myself when I saw the price. Does that count?

Trader Woody

Your tiki world, as it were, is a personal philosophy of life. Not simply a bunch of ceramic bric-a-brak, thatching and over-priced wood carvings. Tiki is your personal expression of freedom of spirit. Sort of a Ying & Yang philosophy of life. A balance that's keeps you mentally and emotionally stable in a bizarre environment that bombs the crap out of a pile of rocks in the Third World, then gives them a band-aid and a Gameboy, expecting them to be grateful.

Tiki, idealistically in my own life, is a frame of mind, not a physical collection of material goods. I'm not sure this is a popular opinion here. I can't help about what I feel. I've chopped my way through real jungles to find that Mayan pyramid. I've slipped on wet rocks and flew over a 50 foot waterfall on Kauai.I watched the Northern Lights and was spiritually moved. I dug my hands into a pile of gray earth in southeastern Montana and unearthed a 65 million year old fossil.

Build the tropical part of your personal world into whatever makes you happy. Other people's attitudes matter not.

Oh Master Squawker, I live for your enlightening sermons. Please tell me more, oh master. We are only dumbshits and know nothing of the zen of tiki.

PS - how was last week's appreciation on your little condo in inland Costa Mesa?

Wah? I boddah you? I no can da kine if you no like da kine. Ey, I cannot handle.

Pardon the pidgin. I'll interpet. It seems no matter what I say it seems to cause ripples in someone else's lagoon. Okay, I see where this is going...After a week I've observed some people's interpetation of "tiki" is different than mine. Perhaps I misjudge, and if so, I apologize publicly.

But I still feel we think differently. The mana I've lived with for decades has been one of spiritual harmony mixed with playful fun. I've sensed some negative underlining around here (personified by some people's obsessions over musical styles and what is tiki or what isn't tiki, etc.)that bothers me. Throws the Ying & Yan out of balance.

All right. Many years ago, I spent a summer living on a reservation up near Crow Agency. During that time a Crow shaman (as he was treated by others) advised me that each person must go their own life way. Follow your heart. Let others do the same. I may have forgotten that briefly and so apologize again.

It has been an interesting week, though. So I guess I'm Elvis...I'm history..I'm outta here.

Aloha nui loa and may the gods bless (whether you believe in them or not). Bye...

[ Edited by: Squawker on 2003-04-30 10:04 ]

Squaker,

You can't have it both ways. You make judgements yourself, then you think by throwing in some lofty sounding bullshit with your subjective comments that every one is supposed to say 'I see Zen Master'.

Since you couldn't snatch the pebble from our hand, it is time for you to leave...

Hey Squawker,
Do you own any Berkenstocks?

On 2003-04-30 10:02, Squawker wrote:
A load of pretentious shite

Squawker - You've missed the whole point of Tiki Central by quite a few yards. Perhaps your third eye was temporarily closed. People come here to talk about Tiki in all it's forms, and oddly enough people have opinions. When people disagree, it doesn't set our 'Tiki World' into some horrific cosmic imbalance. No doubt these same people will agree about something else a few posts later - 'karma' restored.

So you're off now? Fine. You've managed to insult the vast majority of us here with your crude assumptions. Leave the 'material world' of Tiki to us and go back to wanking dolphins.

Trader Woody

A

I watched the Northern Lights and was spiritually moved.

I read that whole paragraph and was gastrologically moved.

-Randy

I think what needs to happen is for all you to drive to Portland and partake in the NW tikicrawl and Polka de Mayo celebration. Then turn around and head to Palm Springs for
more intensive therapy.

M

Did someone say wanking dolphins? Sign me up!

I was in Tijauna once and paid 75, American, to see this guy bring in a donkey...wait, that's entirely a different thing all together. Uh well, that happens when you mix too much tequila and a wayward 4-H club from Indio. No worries, I got the negatives.

Speaking of spiritual events that changed one's life, I once got the high score on Donkey Kong. Man that was cool. Even better than when I took that trip up to Alaska to club baby Harp Seals.

THWACK THWACK THWACK!!!

Good times, good times...oh yeah.

Is the dolphin wanking still on?
midnite

I was going to toss in my two cents here, but what with the contributions of Tiki Bong, Midnight, Trader Woody and AquaRJ, I find I am too hysterical with laughter to think of any coherently sarcastic comments to add. I can't even get it together to speculate darkly on the probable Lynn Andrews connection.

Bravo. I love you guys.

Lisa

M

Ah, the Circle Of Life. (Sing it like Elton!)

To get spiritual will you all for a moment, it seems that this zen cycle repeats itself every couple of months or so. We'll be chatting along swimmingly, minding our own business, when someone new shows up and invariarably calls everyone an asshole (or a Hoiti Toiti), feels superior, or just ends up creating tension for no apparent reason. (which is hardly in the spirit of tiki) Then they're gone, and we're back to normal. Meanwhile, dozens of new people join each month and provide interesting and informative posts and join in with seemingly no problems. Huh.

It's a funny place, this Tiki Central.

-martin

Martin,

You're exactly right with you post. It seems like throwing mud on the wall, most falls away, but some sticks; I guess we regulars are the mud that stuck...

I, for one got into this whole tiki thing because of its relation to the fifties and sixties. NOT the hippy sixties either... Squawker, I'm glad you have climbed in mud and flown over water falls but the mana and spiritual enlightenment isn't really the reason most of us are here. It's about Polynesian Pop --not the guy, sorry Pop-- but the idea that there was once a whole American culture that celebrated tiki. And celebrated it not for it's original religious purpose, but for escapism from dull American life. We're here to discuss, explore, and collect that past.

All that hippy talk gives me a headache.

HA, HA!

K

I'm in with LuckyDesigns.

Thank you brother. I just say it as I see it.

What did you all see in his post that I'm not? What's wrong with what Squawker wrote?

I didn't take offense to it either. Did you guys hurt someone's feelings again?

S

I read this today after Squawker checked out.

It seemed to me that Squawker was merely trying to give props to SCD for making an observation about Tiki as a "philosophy of life" rather than caring about what others think.

However, in doing so he indirectly implied that some of the other comments made here were less intelligent and I think some of the TC members took it as preachy and arrogant. He then got swarmed and could not fight his way out of his comment even though he "publicly apologized" for offending anyone. I really don't think he meant any harm. But I haven't read any of his other posts.

Too bad. I liked his name. When I was 8 years old. I used to play on a little league team named "The Squawkers." People made fun of our name but we ended up in first place. Just a little useless trivia for the group.

It's a strange world.

in regards to the hippy-sixties...
didn't tiki fulfill the conservative, alcohol abiding citizen with the same reckless abandon that the so-called hippies sought for through the use of more powerful, prescriptive semi-pharmaceutical inebriants?

Albeit, with loads more style and grace?

D

Born freeeee as free as the wind blooooows........
:drink:

On 2003-04-30 10:28, RevBambooBen wrote:

Hey I agree with a lot of the sentiments regarding an interest in Polynesian pop culture from the 50's and 60's but...what's the problem with Berkenstocks?? :)

[ Edited by: Tiki&Buzz on 2004-01-14 12:22 ]

S

On 2003-04-30 21:15, inkylouise wrote:
in regards to the hippy-sixties...
didn't tiki fulfill the conservative, alcohol abiding citizen with the same reckless abandon that the so-called hippies sought for through the use of more powerful, prescriptive semi-pharmaceutical inebriants?

Albeit, with loads more style and grace?

I'd have to disagree with you there, Inkylouise. Hippies (and these are gross generalizations, of course) intended to reform (or overthrow, depending on your perspective) the established social and political structure. Tiki-philes of the 50s/early 60s used the whole polynesian pop thing as a TEMPORARY escape from their boring suburban lives. Tiki was a relief valve, not a revolution. The following Monday morning, the tiki-philes went back to their jobs.

Heck, that's pretty much why I'm interested in tiki and other mid-century things (especially surf music): to get a little escape from the whacked-out world of the 21st century (and its generally awful and aggressive music). I think for us Generation Xers (well, the white kids, anyway), the pre-Kennedy era of our parents and grandparents represents a much more innocent and easy-going sort of life. But, we don't have any "real" memories of that era, we have to rely on artifacts and television and movies, which just contribute to the myth. It's the escapist MYTH that attracts us. That tiki (and surf music) is a living, evolving tradition is a bonus.

Whew, I was in grad school for WAY too long, wasn't I? :)

[ Edited by: sjarvis on 2003-12-04 13:45 ]

P
pablus posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2003 2:54 PM

I don't know how this post made it back up to the top but I'm sure glad it did.

These Tiki Bars are beyond cool.
I didn't find this thread during the "Neubies R Us" post where I went through the archives... but I blame the rum for that...

Anyway - I'd like to get a look at Kahukini's lounge since the links here are expired.
You still 'round, 'bama?

You folks are setting incredibly high standards. My place is very fun - but I mean - sheesh - you guys have galleries. I must re-double my efforts at once.

Darling - make me a Mai Tai, hand me my dialing shoes and the Oceanic Arts catalog. Then it's off to the Retro-Rama.

Kahuna - start carving - I need WEAPONRY!

E

On 2003-12-04 12:55, Tiki&Buzz wrote:
I agree with hanford_lemoore when he wrote: "What did you all see in his post that I'm not? What's wrong with what Squawker wrote?"

I think those that wrote that crap about Squawker need to drink more at their tiki bars and come up with their own philosophies and stop bashing others.

So...you into Tiki? Great first post!

:)
em.

On 2003-12-04 12:55, Tiki&Buzz wrote:
I think those that wrote that crap about Squawker need to drink more at their tiki bars and come up with their own philosophies and stop bashing others.

Heh....Squawker is that you? Funny that this old post would come back for no other reason but to defend 'ol Squawker...

Nice try bud.

I still disagree with you. What you missed the first time around is that what got you that negative vibe was your own "More Tiki Than Thou" philosophy. Now you want us to go off and come up with our own philosophy?!

That's not what Tiki is about Dude.

Fuggit...just build a bar! You'll get the hang of it and make it up as you go along... https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5084&forum=1&42

UB

On 2003-12-04 21:19, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Fuggit...just build a bar!

No dought, I'll drink to that.
http://www.audioautographs.com/bar.htm

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-12-04 21:33 ]

E

What, no further posts "Tiki&Buzz"? None? Don't want to write about your mug collection, your first Mai-Tai, your introduction to Tiki culture, your trips to the Islands and your cross-country Tiki Road Trips?

A hearty "pffft!", ya Birkenstock-wearing dolphin wanker.

:)
em.

On 2003-04-30 10:28, RevBambooBen wrote:

Sorry to go Way Off Topic.

Hippies, Punks, Tiki Freaks, Retro, what ever. I'm going though hell trying to find a good pair of work shoes that won't kill my feet!!! Any help out there would be cool. I guess it kinda relates to "before and after" "Tiki Bars." When my feet are in good shoes, killer tiki bars are built! When my feet hurt like now, Tiki bars suck (like the before part). On with the show..........!!!

I found squawkers post to be a bit condescending and rediculous. I know about your fossil find. This place charges 5 bux to go grab one off the top of the excavation they've already made, it's the 7-11 of fossils and taking a $200.00 helicopter ride in Hawaii. Wow! That's something really zen to brag about. Many of us here have traveled abroad extensively, does that make us super duper enlightened?

[ Edited by: Tiki&Buzz on 2004-01-14 12:23 ]

On 2003-12-10 10:58, Tiki&Buzz wrote:
emspace and PolynesianPop,
I was searching the archives for info on building my tiki bar when I stumbled on to this thread. It seemed a bunch of aholes started cutting this "Squawker" down for posting his philosophies.

I sure hope that the majority of people that frequent this forum are not as nasty and hostile as you two. You two definitely dont belong in a fun thing like tiki culture with attitudes like that.

Ok, enough of bashing the couple of aholes that post here.

Tiki & Buzz are my dogs names. My son thinks Buzz if for Buzz lightyear :)

I hope to post my before, during, and after photos on the building tiki forum soon.

Aloha

Tiki&Buzz,

I'll have to agree with our Special Agent (a Hanford designation, so be careful) Poly Pop. Something's up with your first post, you're either Squawker or his alter-ego. We've seen 1,000's of first posts and it's always the reincarnated losers that start off hammering on established members.

P.S. How much did your condo appreciate in value this quarter?

Tikibuzz
Is the chip on your shoulder or in your head or both?

Sqwawker's probably not a hippie. Most of the people I know that call themselves hippies are just ne'er-do-well white-bred trust fund kids that follow jam bands around and think it's groovy to see how many baths they can substitute with Patchouli. In reality they're usually one step away from Abercrombie and Fitch. The Birks are just part of their little uniform. They seem to like lots of little bags and scarves and things hanging off of them, too.

On 2003-12-10 10:58, Tiki&Buzz wrote:
I sure hope that the majority of people that frequent this forum are not as nasty and hostile as you two....

:lol:

Wait a sec.... don't you realize that YOU are bashing us?

And you are chastizing us for the exact way that YOU are acting?!

Oh ok -- it's ok if YOU do it. But not EM or I....

Classic!

Tiki And Buzz lovingly wrote:
"I sure hope that the majority of people that frequent this forum are not as nasty and hostile as you two. You two definitely dont belong in a fun thing like tiki culture with attitudes like that.
ALOHA"

Wow I can clearly see you are full of the ALOHA spirit. WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!! I love your compasionate heart, so full of love for squaker and yet so full of contempt for PolyPop and Em. Learn from the philosophies of your mentor "Other people's attitudes matter not". You need not post angry, condesending reprimands in the name of your Tiki Master, for "Other people's attitudes matter not". For instance I believe you are belligerent, self important, judgemental and untruthful, but, it matters not, we are full of the Tiki Spirit. Bless you my brother.
Mahalo,
Al

On 2003-12-10 11:25, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Sqwawker's probably not a hippie. Most of the people I know that call themselves hippies are just ne'er-do-well white-bred trust fund kids that follow jam bands around and think it's groovy to see how many baths they can substitute with Patchouli. In reality they're usually one step away from Abercrombie and Fitch. The Birks are just part of their little uniform. They seem to like lots of little bags and scarves and things hanging off of them, too.

Very true BK. What's also funny is that they're usually the children of parents that weren't hippies during the hippy period.

Ah, the hippy period. At 43, I was on the tail end of the long, strange trip. I still remember the Summer of '69 or so when water beds hit the market.

Anyone remember the "Whole Earth Catalog"?

How's about Earth Shoes?

Hip huggers, ah youngin' we had hip huggers in the 70's (with tube tops!).

Pages: 1 2 47 replies