Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

thread moved

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-02-25 23:50 ]

WooHooo! You did a Tiki-rrific Job with your place. SoccerTiki and I just might need to take a trip to The Inland Seas of North America to have a Mai Tai with you :wink:

C

Fabulous bar opening last night, Lake Surfer!!! Great handiwork, carving & artistry with walls & trim. & some darn good MaiTais, too :D Such a nice, warm escape from our chilly Wisconsin winters. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Hope to catch you at the Rendezvous next time you're down this way.

You have a beautiful bar! we had a great time last night, Thanks!

ST

Two words: Holy Crap!!

I've been waiting eagerly to see how your project turned out. It is fantastic. Hopefully one day I can have space to do something with. Until then I'll just have to be envious.

OMG....that is just beautiful!!! It is apparent that you are a perfectionist, as the place is immaculate and so well coordinated. Everything just looks tiki-fabulous. Your bar is awesome...nice job on the top!!! Your pictures are inspiring me to do something to my boring white walls!!! Thanks for posting the pictures. :)

Fantastic!

Outstanding!!!!

VERY NICE Lake Surfer!!!! The aloha in that room really comes across in the pictures.
Aloha,
:tiki:

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2007 10:25 PM

HOLY CRAP, you bastard!!! That is AWESOME! GROG like.

Thanks all!

When home shopping last summer we searched out 60's era ranch homes, lotsa space on one level and always huge basements. Here in the Midwest with long winters, people spend a lot of time in their homes. The basement in so many ranch homes became a rec room or a bar. It was common to find bar areas or rec rooms in many of the homes we looked at, a bonus if the basement had been walled off with rooms.

One half of our home's basement had a perfect launch point for what I wanted to do...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-03-26 00:13 ]

Looks great ! When are we coming over ? !

C'mon over anytime Danny. I've got a 5 foot sanded chunk 'o pine waiting for you to sink a chisel into too!

P

Of course you know it's a wonderful place.
My favorite touch: The crates. Awesome work.

Looking forward to sliding in there one day.
Now that finkdaddy has moved out of Wisconsin, I feel it's safe to come up there.

Mahalo for the shots. See you sometime this year, I hope.

Wow Lakesurfer, fabulous job on your tiki hideaway! It looks like it jumped out of an old
postcard. Congratulations on perfection.

T

Nice Bar.. looking to drop on by. Does the bus stop by your place?
Good work is not cheap. Cheap work is not good.

My hat goes off to you, my braddah..

V

now that's what i call a tiki bar.... fantastic

Pablus: June is coming faster than you think. You know I'll be lurking poolside and the sands of Fort Lauderdale. I may even bring the goofy hat. :wink: You'll find me harassing the Haole Kats. And if you're nice I may even buy you a drink.

Conga: I think you have something there... might be a nice souvenir for those who visit.

LaLe... no buses, but just a stone's throw from the airport. :wink:

BK and Virani... mahalos!

That's a good canvas Lake.

Now, layer it to the gills!!! ( over time)

Arrrr!!!

p.s.

No Boards?

I see room on the ceiling!

Lake, your room ROCKS!
Great vision and execution...
:drink:
enjoy!
K.

:o :o :o

cov·et
v. cov·et·ed, cov·et·ing, cov·ets
v.tr.

1. To feel blameworthy desire for (that which is another's). See Synonyms at envy.
  2. To wish for longingly. See Synonyms at desire.
    v.intr.
    To feel immoderate desire for that which is another's.
M

Whoa! The entry scene is incredibly tropical and TraderVic..esque! Very very well done!

Lake Surfer for the win (FTW)!

You will enjoy this for a long time to come!

Mahalo!

McTiki

B

WOW Lake, What an Awesome place. I Know you worked Long and Hard on this room and it really shows. The Lighting really makes it, what an Awesome job. HappyHappyHappy

On 2007-03-25 19:53, Lake Surfer wrote:
Hale Nalu.

A mix of my surf and tiki lifestyle, Hale Nalu celebrates the surf culture of 1960's Hawaii and Southern California, and the heyday of classic tiki bars of the past. Every tiki bar I have visited has been filed away in my memory and is expressed in some part of my lounge.

PICTURE POSTCARD PERFECT, Lake Surfer...YOU da KANE kine!!!
SsweeetT! Are you taking reservations? Are there membership dues, sponsorship and large wooden paddles required?

Serious vintage surfin' tiki work involved here...BEAUTIFUL EXOTIC OASIS LS!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

N

HOLY CRAP!

Lakesurfer,

Your place is simply amazing! One of the problems with living in the south....No basements!

I follow your posts closely, as my wife is from MKE--76th and Morgan. Wedgewood Park?

What part of town are you in?

If it wouldn't be too much of an imposition, we'd love to see your space in person the next time we get up there....I don't have much to offer, other than Rum---

Really great.

Scott

F#@& Yes!

Beautiful!

HC

....a few footprints, mug dents, rum infused carbon dioxide, and pulsing rhythms will mellow this into paradise ! ......yer' on a path of glory !

F

Dude...looks like a Freeky Tiki joint that I would Dig Hangin at, Got an Imu yet?? IMUA!!!

Frojo

Benboo, kikekeki, Feelin' Zombified, Mc, Benz, TravelingJones, new2tiki, Selector Lopaka, Slacks Ferret, Hula Cat, frojo

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked with it too.

Benboo... working out that little problem in my head... thing is the ceiling is only 7 foot high and I don't have a spare board to toss up there anyhow. Junker boards are rare in these parts too. Explains the lack of things hanging in the middle of the room, but I plan on doing more lighting work with custom lamps along the sides. Far from done yet... no worries!

TravelingJones... party of one... you're in the book. You picked my favorite shot. Conga threw out a good idea there and I think I'm going to make a stack of postcards for visitors.

new2tiki: Know it like the back of my hand. I've bounced from South side to East side of Milwaukee a few times... back on the South side again.
Let me know when you make it up here, we've got Foundation tiki bar in Riverwest to hoist a few too.

Man, that is gorgeous. Just pure class.
Congratulations, guess you'll be spending many hours in there.

That is such an inspiration.

T

Incredible! Very nice - and the play-by-play is good for us wannabees. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Lake,
That is so sswweeeeet! Fantastic job!

Wo!

7' is kinda shallow!

Maybe some 1-1/4" boo running lengthwise

instead of big boards.

Would give it some depth with no chance of head dings!

The lighting is Arrrrrsome!

M

really, really nice work.

H

Xtrasweeeeeet pad, LS. Super nice job on everything! Cool name, too. I've started my room project so I kinda know what you mean when you say "It makes me a little sad that it is just about finished." On the other hand, your work is behind you and you can enjoy the fruits of your labor--I'm still looking for the light at the end of the tunnel!

Very nice my friend. Absolutely perfect! Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely gorgeous labor of love, lake. It really shows off your carvings very nicely too! You are one talented and detail oriented artist! Kick back and enjoy! (before you start adding more stuff...)

Thanks Kon-Hemsby, tikigap, BambooLodge, BenbooAgain, martiki, surf-n-turf, bongofury, and Polynesiac.

There will be more detail work in the future. I experienced a little burnout after the party, but the stoke is back now that I'm carving again. I've got 6 events this summer I'm vending at so carving will keep me busy. I've got some more plans for Hale Nalu when the season changes to fall and thoughts turn to the indoors. If Spring decides to arrive for good here in the Midwest the wife and I can get started on our backyard. I've got 4 banana trees itching to get outside and we're planning a bit of the tropics for the summer back there.

LAKE!
You have the island!
I wish your coral reef, develops the curl of choice!
Nice Work!

Very very nice! Thanks for sharing. I'm working on mine and not ready to share with the public yet. Yours is an inspiration. You should be proud. My theory is never finish anything. You can keep working on it forever. Adding this and that. Tweaking here and there. I tell my wife as long as I never finish anything I'm immortal. Got too much to do! Many happys to you and yours.

Unga and khan_tiki_mon...

Many mahalos! I pretty much just opened my head and that's what came out. Never drew any plans, didn't look at any photos. Just memories.

I started with a big pile of wood, thatch, matting and bamboo and kept putting it somewhere until I saw floor again.

Wow....I'm speechless.

AMAZING!

Phenominal place! I'm envious. There's nothing like your own little hideaway, with everything in it that is you at your best.

Rivcat

Thanks much JetSetiki!

First Mai Tai is on me!

:drink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-05-13 21:17 ]

Adding bits and pieces as I collect them and moving some things around. I'm also working on new pieces for the room and hanging them. In the works is a new carved table for drinks that will stand in the center of the room.

I tweaked some settings on the camera and shot some new glamor shots of Hale Nalu.

Just picked up this rattan and wicker shelf unit at a garage sale. More room for stuff!

Lots of new floats, puffers and shell hangings that we bought on the Southeast Coast this past summer.

Among the floats in the corner is one of TikiSkip's killer float lamps that I bought at the Hot Rod Hula Hop. Skip does wonderful work and his other lamps are beautiful. I have to add more to my bar in the near future!

Here are a couple more shots of the bar top that I created from wood, sand, shells and lots of resin.
Inspired by the magnificent Wreck Bar in Fort Lauderdale, FL at the Yankee Clipper.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-10-09 00:40 ]

Pages: 1 2 62 replies