Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki room tiki, palm tiki page 15 5/3

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 222 replies

Housebroken or not, you're cranking out some mighty fine work.

B

YES Poly, Nice and about time you did some more work. The wedding present is real Sweet. That inscription was no easy feat. Very Well done!

F
foamy posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2004 6:11 AM

Nice stuff! That table is the Katz PJ's!

O
Octane posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2004 9:37 AM

i love it all polyniasic, great stuff. i like that table, the guy looks like he has to hold up that top or he will be squished. the Marquasen guy has good detail with all that tatuing on him. the light has great bamboo work and detail in those litte tikis on it. the anaversry tiki is very nice as well.

aaron, Raf, Ben, foam, O, thanks for the comps - they mean a lot coming from such fine artists. One of the nice parts about not selling everything at once...is that you get to use them in your house! that tiki table really holds a drink well...the wahini really likes it too...

Nice stuff brah, you and Octane are tearin' it up lately. Looking forward to meeting you guys someday.

Lokkin' good! Lokkin' real good! I like them all Jombo, and I have that T for you.

THanks JT - you're not just sittin' around either! Those tikis are great!

Yeah, it'd be cool to meet mid state and have a carvin' party on the beach...

Thanks chiki! The wahini will be very happy!

Holy smokes Poly! Your carvin's are lookin' ever so BAD ASS! That table is so bitchin' The rope trim is a nice addition. That tiki is going to get a nice work out holding up lava bowls.
The bamboo lamp is a tasty too.
Nice job on the actual pics you posted too. All the detail and angles in one easy jpg. Very thoughtful!
cheers,
Chongolio

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2004 7:04 AM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:16 ]

Poly -- lookin' good. I really like that Marq!

chongo - thanks bro. Just went to the Bahooka last night for some libation bowls and fish gawking. MMMM...lava bowls... I may need to make more tiki tables...

TN - those books rock! check your PM, bro

Poly-pop - thanks for the comp, I had fun doing the design on the marq, I think I'll do more. It was nice to finally meet you and hang for a bit at the LB tiki fest

Here's a carving I did for the lucky tiki tsunami relief gathering a while back. He's based on the "mysterious tiki x" which turned out to be an OA import.
I carved and stained him in one furious carving day the day before the benifit. So he's a little rough-round-the-edges (so to speak)
He's made from redwood
The first pic is without stain:

Here's two with stain, rope and spray poly:

thanks for looking. More to come later.

B

Thats a really nice looking tiki for being "Rough around the edges" and only taking a day. Excellent work Polynesiac. Nice Log, nice tiki. cool carver.
thanks for posting

WOW, your stuff is truely amazing. Gives hacks (me) something to aspire to. Keep em coming.

K

Awesome stuff... you really have the eye for carving.

That is a cool piece...Not bad for a day's work! I'd like to have that in my office. Keep up the great work....

It's been too long since I saw Polynesiac's post up here at the top of the heap... I just had to go back through the whole thing all over again. I love seeing all of your creative & unique stylings, very refreshing...

But I must say, that last one is an "X"-tremely cool tiki, Jim!

excellent, love the rope around the base too , adds a nice touch....

Cooo, cooo ...Jimbo.

very nice collection of stuff Polynesiac...
you have the whole decor thing going! Love
it all..

Unda da' sea, everting bettah, down where it's wettah, unda da' sea.

I love it!

Beautiful piece!!!

Thanks for the comps everyone. I'm glad you all like that one - he was a fun one to carve and the first time I carved that style.

Here's another one I just finished up. It's a 4 footer for a customer who didn't want any stain or sealer. He said he wants to watch it rot away naturally. Cool with me. He's my largest to date:

Thanks for looking. More to come...

Look at all those deep cuts! Looks great, love the mouth, especially the teeth. I wonder how long it would take for an unfinished tiki to compltely rot away?

M

Yo Poly ! That log screams !!! Love it. Love the lines, love the style, I'd have a hard time watching it go.

Keep it up !

Mahalo

real nice tiki style

Damn! That's one awesome tiki. How did you carve out the mouth? I mean, if you don't mind tellin'.

B

Another great one Polyac. Love everything about it. Your talent is really coming thru. Don't slow down now. You are really on a roll and it's a Good one.

THanks for the comps everyone. This one is going to be hard to let go...but the customer lives up the street, so...
Fink - I like the teeth on this guy too and I have to say I think many times the mouth area can make or break a tiki. I don't know how long it will take to rot...but I'm willing to watch and learn!
marooned-on-the-raffer: never any secrets for fellow tiki carvers/enthusiasts! I remember reading how gecko would do his plunge cuts and through cuts using a chainsaw to start out with, then smooth it out with chisels. This palm is REALLY soft, so I thought I'd just chisel my way through (plus, to be honest, I was too lazy to go down to my basement to get the chainsaw!) I just started hacking away and I worked in from both sides (took some away on one side, flipped the tiki then took some away on the other) Eventually it worked through, then I just cleaned it out with the chisels. Great way to let out some steam!

This one really turned out nice. Excellent lines and a nice animated style. Bummer that he didnt want it completely finished but faster for you.

Let the wood chips fly...

Damn dats good, and full body too.. Nice, nice.

Nice Work!

Awesome as usual!

Once again beautiful work. Are you carving with just chisels or any power tools? Thanks for the inspiration.

THanks for the comps! they really do mean a lot and get me fired to hit the chisels.

rodeo - for the palm tikis I use mostly chisels. I'll use a chainsaw to straighten log bottoms and do any large amount of wood removal, but most of the time it's all chisels. After the tiki is carved, I'll hit it with the dremel and kind of burn any palm fibers together with the high RPM and a grinder bit. For larger areas, I use an angle grinder. That's mostly it. I usually don't sand the palm tikis (I do sand the redwood ones like crazy tho).
hope that helped

Polynesiac - I really really really like that last tiki. He's so Old-School looking, you wouldn't believe!

I've seen uncoated palm tikis from the 1960s and 70s that have been exposed to the elements and are still standing, (though often pretty rotted), at apartment buildings, swimming pools and restaurants. If they're sheltered from the elements (under an awning as a support pillar for instance), they often look just as good as they did in the 60s. I like the untreated look for palm tikis like that one, personally.

Sabu

MD

Oh man Mr. Poly.........these are beautiful.
I don't think I've ever had time to look through all of them before. Incredible work.

Hiya folks!
Sabu, Dale thanks for the comps. I was going for a more classic look with this one. I'm glad you like it. I had fun carving him and will most likely do another this style(ish) in 6ft form.

Here's the carving I did for the Tiki Crawl raffle. I passed it off to sabu without snapping a picture of it finished, but I have these two prior to final coat of stain and clear protective finish.
He's carved from redwood and stands a little over a foot tall.

The front:

the back (sorry - it's a little blurry):

this one would have taken one day too, but I decided to carve the inscription. so it took 2 days to finish.
Hope you like it and thanks for looking

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Apr 1, 2005 4:58 PM

Awesome Style and lines. Hey at least the big one is close enough for visitation rights yes?

Nice work. Thanks for sharing

Those are beautiful carvings. You should feel proud.

B

Hey Poly, you gonna quit your day job yet? you are getting to the point whereI think we need Way more TIKI's from you man! Just Do IT

I love tikis that look like they're truly in agony! And that inscription on the back could be a sign all on it's own. I can't believe how fast you are able to carve these beauties. Thanks for contributing to the Crawl. I just wish I was there to win this one.

A-A

C

I'm with A-A...love the pained expression...
very cool tiki....I think that's how I must
look after a few too many cocktails....it at
least portrays how I feel!

Huh...yeah, I guess he does look like he's in agony. Bummer for him!

My wife called him "geezer-tiki" because he is without dentures or teeth. I suppose that could be agonizing, especially when trying to chew food. although, it doesn't matter if one is on a liquid diet...hmmm...:)

you guys are too funny!

thanks for the comps! He got raffled off last night! Who got 'em?!?!

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2005-04-02 12:15 ]

Looks great. I love the detail on the back. Gave me a idea for one I am working right now.

Very fine carving, Polynesiac, and lots of character to him. Great going! Do more...

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-04-02 23:20 ]

O

Man o man, Your carvings are awsome..wish I had half of that talent..I could easily see one of those at our bar! keep up the great work.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 222 replies