Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Visit the Tiki Gallery

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

H

I just got around to taking pictures of some items for the Tiki Gallery. I'm not a mug collector (:: duck ::), but I had a few things to add to the "other" category.

Can anyone shed any light on this guy? I'm pretty sure he's made out of cast resin. He's sort of irridescent. I think he looks South American. I got him on eBay.

I just got this at the grocery store, of all places.

I just bought this; they fit inside each other like a Russian nesting doll. I thought it was pretty cool and unusual.

Added a couple other, less interesting items, too:

Treasure Craft Appetizer Pineapple
CoCo Joe's Kamehameha I Statue
Treasure Craft Pineapple Dish

Those "Russian Doll" Tikis are amazing. I love new applications of the Tiki image that I've never seen before. Are they actually carved/inlaid? Must be a Hawaiian tourist item made in the Phillipines. Love that the last guy has his appendage visible.

That Hula hut looks like it's of very recent manufacture. And that green guy is not a Tiki, but a Mexican tourist item, they make whole chess sets of these pre-Columbian statues (and bookstands, paperweights, etc.)

H

The cheese spreaders I bought brand new. They have an unusual amount of detail for such a simple item, I really like them. The nesting tikis are carved and stained, and were actually made in Russia. Go figure. Both weird little finds.

Where did you get the nesting dolls?

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Nov 25, 2002 9:25 PM

I don't know how to post on the gallery yet but here is a vintage Tiki Cork holder with corks. I don't know a whole lot but da kine sey "from tiki isle - honolulu hawaii" on da back.

the front has piegon sayings(broken english)

da back says what the words are in proper english.

I don't know what this is? I would say ashtray but it has a whole on top? this too is also old. the back says copywrite "CB"????

S

I added some postcards from Kiliki and my collections to the site yeterday. I don't know who manages it, but I posted one twice and the first one needs to be deleted.

The one card I posted of the hotel room in Hawaii is our all time favorite. We just wish we could be in that room! It's so quintesential 50s.

The Mai Kai Lady card was in a booklet I got on Ebay. One of those where it pays to prod around. You never know what's in a lot of cards sometimes!

Gecko, I noticed that the tall Tiki on your wall plaque, the one above the W of "HAWAII", is a copy of the the candle I have on page 184 of the BOT. The candle was a tourist item, so maybe they are both from the same company.
(That candle was also recently used to make a garden Tiki by Design Toscano, who I believe "borrowed" that design and the Enchanted Tiki Room post from the BOT.)

On 2002-11-25 14:33, TikiManiac wrote:
Where did you get the nesting dolls?

I got them from a small local shop, Hawaii General Store. Here's their website:

http://www.hawaiigeneralstore.net/

But I just googled for "nesting tiki" and found the following website, which includes some details and a smidge of Hawaiian history:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dreamkitchen/hawaiiantikis.html

F

The company that made the wall plate also made the stoppers- there is actually a set of tikihead stoppers, and one of the heads looks like a tiki in the plate- I havent seen that plate in a long time- I have one in my collection but since its been so long since I boxed it all up years ago to move here and finally settle in somewhere permanent, i had totally forgotten about it. Its gonna be fun busting that collection out again- I've probably forgotten half of whats in there

T

That Atlanta Luau menu on page four is SPECTACULAR. I eouldnt be surprised to hear it was designed by a 'name' designer. Any info on who did it?

Also, feel free to put my waitoma grotto pix up on da page. Or am I supposed to do that? Is is self serve, or full serve?

Humuhumu:
Did you get a good deal on the nesting dolls?

Gecko:
I posted that wall hanging plaque in the gallery for ya!

[ Edited by: TikiManiac on 2002-11-28 08:48 ]

I don't remember how much I spent on the nesting dolls, it was somewhere between $40 and $50. A bit more than they cost online.

For those of you who don't already know, I stated a Tiki Gallery that now has almost 800 photos of mugs, bowls, art, postcards, menus, and more for you to enjoy. You can add comments on each item, and also post photos of your own to the appropriate gallery. There is also a Tiki Trade Gallery where you can post photos of stuff you want to trade- and then add the link back here to TC to advertise it.
Enjoy!
http://www.tikiroom.net

Ah yes, what better way to spend a lazy, snowed-in Sunday afternoon!

The postcards and menus alone are just a fantastic voyage into the tropics!
(Especially when you're listening to the wind howl over a 4 foot snow drift in your front yard.)

Thanks!

M

The cocktail and bar menus are some of the best stuff in the gallery. Here's our latest addition to the mug section:

Borneo Tiki Mug

Got it off Ebay, thought the big bidders would be all over it, nope. It looks just like the common peanut guy, but at closer examination one sees the differences.

midnite

T

Just hit 800 photos in the Tiki Gallery! Woohoo! :)

A

800 pics, That's great. Congratulations, Mike. I think this is the coolest website.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-03-15 21:51 ]

M

Our latest additon to the gallery:

Bretton's Bali Hai

Anyone heard of, or familiar with, this establishment? I "know" a few Bali Hai's, but none in Kansas City MO.

midnite

Midnite-
I saw that auction. I have one of those mugs.
I bought a set of three on ebay a few years back & promptly sold the other two.
I've never seen any other items from this place though.
Very nice mug with interesting provenance.

While visiting the smiley pad recently, I did notice Mr Smiley had a dupe of my '63 Seattle Worlds fair mug.....in ORANGE!!!
Wah!
I thought I was the only one!

M

While visiting the smiley pad recently, I did notice Mr Smiley had a dupe of my '63 Seattle Worlds fair mug.....in ORANGE!!!

Yep, we saw that mug. Thought of your mug, and the three I have had and sold(unmarked). The Ugh house is a marvel of collecting, not just the Tiki room. Although, the Tiki collection is sumpremely impressive.

midnite

ps That Voodoo Grog glass not doing too well, eh? :lol:

I agree, the smiley tiki room is truly fab.

Yep, the voodoo glass did well in my opinion.
It didnt do nearly as well as sabu's, but I think $370 for ANY tiki mug is quite fair!
No complaints here!

I would just like to thank you rabid collectors for staying away from my latest ebay score:
The tiki ice bucket- minus lid!

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2003-03-19 14:10 ]

C

Me really like. Looks Incan, maybe?

Trying to start a more tiki-esque dispute here....

I've got one of the world's fair mugs too- in ice blue.

I've seen that ice bucket before- i have to say i thought it looked mayan/incan or aztec as well-

Clearly the worlds fair mug is a bit more common than I first thought, but it's nice to know there are other cool color versions to strive for.
The ice bucket is open to interpretation I guess.
I think it is quite cool & an excellent 'go-with' for my collection.
It is made by Nasco & appears to be larger than most tiki bowls.
Now I'm curious what the lid looks like.

oops.

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2003-03-21 14:58 ]

ISLANDER Los Angeles?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=594&item=3214311641&rd=1
Where was this restaurant?
Never seen this version.
Too sexy!

M

*Where was this restaurant?
Never seen this version. *

Have to assume it was the Islander on La Cienega? I have seen this ashtray from Aku Aku, and Bruce has one from Trader Dick's. Bruce probably has one from Aku as well. :)

midnite

The Aku Aku & Trader Dick's ashtrays have a moai head, this is a totally different style tiki that I hadnt seen before.

M

Our latest addition ot the gallery. A lucky score among a group of lackluster mugs from eBay. It's a snmaller version of a Sepik/PNG style drum mug we have from Mai Kai. This one has no handle and is from Tonga:

Marked on the bottom "Tonga At The Fairmont".

midnite

Does anybody know what happended to this great site? I have not been able to find it for a while now.

DC

Pages: 1 2 78 replies