Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Caliente May 9th-May 11th 2008 in Palm Springs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 477 replies

Some more visitors to #135
Wildsville Man and The Rev Bamboo Ben

LLT and the Rev having a chat and acting coooooooool!

Is this the quiet before the storm?????

If I were to come out there on Sun.
do I have to buy a ticket for that?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-05-08 19:40, bigtikidude wrote:
If I were to come out there on Sun.
do I have to buy a ticket for that?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Dude????????? How many times do I have to tell you?????

NO!

TL

Wow! Great T-Shirts! Great People! I can't wait to see y'all Friday Nite!

Here's a few things I'll be bringin' with me to sell.

First Off, our beloved Sophista-Tiki is letting me sell her art again, so if ya missed out at Tiki Farm's P-Lot Sale, yer in luck Chuck! You have another chance to collect her fabulous art....

And then, our resident "keepin' it alive" Black Velvet Artist Robb Hamel has these totally bitchin' Originals that I'm selling for him...

And finally, here's my Witco-Style African Mask that still needs to find a happy home...

There's MUCH Much more that I'll post later if I get them done in time!

See ya there!

catch the martini kings live at caliente this sunday from 2pm till 5 pm!!
it's goin to be one fun time in palm springs!

T

Im just loading the tiki truck with their new music playing in the background . Buy the CD, its classic !

When you order a mai-tai you get one of these souvenir cups!!!

Uh...NOT the one in the middle though!!!

On 2008-05-08 19:45, SoccerTiki wrote:

Dude????????? How many times do I have to tell you?????

NO!

sorry IM slow this week,
must have killled too many brain cells last weekend.
;-(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TF

Let's see some gooooood pictures. Looks like fun so far. Wish we were there.

T.F.

WooHoo! What a weekend it has been so far. It's not too late for you to jump in your cars and head out to Tiki Caliente. This is an event you don't want to miss. Everyone is having a Blast!!!

Wish I was there too, but I am far away. All I can contribute at this point is to continue my little history lesson I began here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=27233&forum=17&start=15

So, for those who bemoan the loss of the original Reef bar:

Though it was obviously a fine, Oceanic Arts equipped Tiki bar, it was NOT the original establishment that opened the Tropics Motel. Before there was The Reef, there was the CONGO ROOM Steak House...

Now...this must have been another fine watering hole for the modern primitive set, one might think. Not so! The interior designer that Ken Kimes hired for this hang out somehow had a vision of the Congo that was decidedly closer to "I Dream of Jeannie" Exotica than to African primitivism... or maybe he thought the Congo was in India:

As I can understand that this visual does seem incredulous, here is a close up of the view from the Congo Room onto the Tropics pool area that demonstrates the connection:

...with its classic SUNDRELLA pool umbrellas

And to further cement the claim of this odd environment having existed at the original Tropics, let's zoom into the bar area of that brochure photo. In the corner we can make out some wall hangings...

...that seem a little out of place. And indeed they were, being WITCO depictions of turn-of-the-century gas lamp posts!

What WERE they thinking !!? ...someone must have thought just that, as these frames were found during the Tropics' renovation, stashed behind the vending machine in the hallway to the Reef!.... and later given to me by new proprietor Casey in appreciation of the BOT inspiring the preservation of the Tropics' Tiki theme.

Last not least, to honor the artist who carved the original Tropics Tikis, here is a gallery of some of his fine carvings that are no more:

I really dug this one while it was still around the pool area.

Now last time I checked the one below was still around:

...but what has disappeared was the unique name plaque that, in small letters on the bottom, read "Carvings by Crissmann", a rare example of a mid-century Tiki artist actually getting credited for his work by name.

Good job Ed, and may the remains of your Tropics Tongue Tiki live on for many years more!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-05-10 22:46 ]

good lord thats horrendous, thanks for posting,

I will be out to Caliente tomorrow. well its actually today.
but I need a few hours sleep.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TT

"good times" at the Caliente Tropics.........

I had a real nice time. Thanks to all that participated and helped plan this event.

WOOHOO!! Mucho Mahalos to Wildsville Man for putting together the most Incredible Tiki Event of the Year. I know everyone had a Blast!!! I can't wait until Tiki Caliente II :)

Got some pics of Tiki Caliente on the blog. Go to http://www.tikiblog.com if you want to take a look.

N

Cheers to Rory (Wildsville Man) for a fun weekend!! When's Tiki Caliente 2?

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL RANSOM NOTE !!!!
I have been stalking Wildsvilleman all weekend waiting like a vulture for him to slip up and it happened . I have taken the infamous glasses from his possesion and I require his cooperation to get them back . Yes, I have stolen the Lone Rangers mask .....heh,heh,heh.Without them he is as powerless as Superman near Kryptonite .I didnt take that hat because now he will need it to sell pencils out of . Here is my proof .

We wouldnt want anything to happen to these babies now would we . No harm will come to them as long as the demands are met . An no calls to the tiki police either . He is still being watched .I will post again within 48 hours as to what to do .

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!

TT

subtle yet so effective!
Thanks Ken..

your beard is classic...
lil' curlys!
:lol:

R

Wow! What a awesome weekend. It was so great to see so many familiar old faces, as well as, meet so many new ones. Thanks for putting this all together Rory. I'll definitely be back for part deux.

TT

Before this gets any worse, thanks Rory for a great weekend and everyone else that hung out and drank etc, great to catch up with some old friends....
Cheers

R

I am laughing so hard right now at the pic Trav has posted and Kin's retaliation pic...holy crap!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AWESOME!

Did anyone sell anything??

OMG I had waaaaayyyy too much fun! Rory you really outdid yourself for your first shindig! Between Tiki Trav cuddling up with Vital Tiki and Make Da Mug yelling that pork makes him horny.......My abdominal muscles got quite the workout from laughing!!!

Tiki Ray looking for volunteers to make shrunken heads!

Tiki Trav and Tiki Ray comparing their vintage shirts..

Tiki Ray, some guy named Steve who kept yelling that "pork make me horny" and Tiki Trav.

Awww, Tiki Trav and Sarah

Grog, the exhibitionist....

What the........OMG Rory wearing that Jimmy Buffett shirt has got everyone turning into freakin parrotheads!!!!

The Smokin Menehunes were awesome!!!

Tiki Ray giving Soccer Tiki his expert advise on how to blow conch!

Tiki Ray rockin his retro outfit and blowing his conch!

Vital Tiki doing his best mug impression.

Wow.....
Thanks Corey...er Roryfor puttin on such an AWESOME bash!
Here's to Many Many More! I'm Hooked!
the mModern Tiki/5 Year/Derek Yaniger one man show was an incredible mix
of talent...just Awe-inspiring!
From Al's "Keeper of the Mai-Tai"
to Bosko' "Ku Warrior"
to Heather's new velvet (lovin that lil monkey wearing the skull mask in the front of the boat)
to Doug's Tiki X
to Chris Ricardi's(sp?) awesome tiki stand up bass piece
and Lynn Naylor's hilarious painting of a girl getting rescued (or captured) by a chubby lil tiki!
and Suzy's little menehune fishing boy
to Joe Vitale's awesome take on some PNG grooves with a bulgy-faced fellow!
(it was great to finally meet him! :lol:)
and Amy's wonderful paintings full of mystery and subtle sexuality
and how about that Brady Bunch loop on that one piece?
Dereks pieces looked beautiful...
from sly statement on the War (Down with panties)
to a great voyeuristic piece with the runaway eye
to the girlfriend giving a stinkeye to her boyfriend
as he oggles a beauty crossing the street....
Classic ...
and Jay even got these HUGE searchlights that blasted up into the sky to announce the momentous occasion!
Class Act!
Besides that incredible event,the Caliente tropics event merged into one big drunken ball o fun!
Here's some pictures!
first off...my HERO for the weekend
(pulled me out of a Sat. morn hangover with some vitamin B-12!

In the shower was this great decal on the tile...
i think it's Crazy Al in the future....

Two blocks away from the Caliente is tiki trav's barber....

i think i saw this tiki in the jacuzzi Friday and Saturday night...

my lovely wife Terrill and Roxanne the Wundergirl!

Soccertiki and a stowaway...

Shameless pet photo of Phoebe-she met so many new friends!

Pool....very Cool!

Mike and Roxy....she looks scared....
Hello Ray! Hi Ray! Hello! Hi Ray!

this one's for my buddy TikiTrav!

Tiki Ray,MonkeyMan,Doug Horne,and some groupie witha weird accent....

Stacy and DUG! didn't know she was a drummer!
Coolest chick ever!

Is it me or is Al checking out that booty to the right?

Sarah and some guy who butchers our language...

Smokin menehunes are RAd...with Squid on the drums-even RADDer!

this guy KNOWS how to party!

So stoked i got some face-time with the esteemed mr. Yaniger..
that boy's got knowledge and Skillz!

Hinano Paul-chain smoking as usual.....
i plan on sending this photo to his insurance company and raising his rates!

They brought the special needs kids to the pool on Saturday!
Boy did they have fun! Here's Chris! he's 13 and has a heart of gold....

we weren't supposed to give them alcohol,but.....

GROG win Whitest Leg Contest!

Ernie wearing his tee shirt in the pool....

it's George (the Animal)!

Bifachu and Rebbeca..

i shifted the colors on this and gave it a 70's feel.....

DUG towering over Hiphip and Squid!
Kelly made the absolute bestest pina colada's ever! Thanks Darling!

i thought Stacy (since she's so dern cool..)
needed someone to post a bad picture of her
so her head doesn't get too big...

DUG drinking out of the jacuzzi during the heat of the day....

Bear convention!

Terrill and Squiddles lookin picture perfect!

TikiBong! this guy should do stand-up!
or be institutionalized...i can't decide!
"Kenny Loggins took Nitrous Oxide for menstrual Cramps"

these people were really nice! And they got great seats for the menehunes poolside!

Dean the DOGG captures the essence of the day....

We had dinner with the Special needs kids...

This little kid was always hungry!

Here's Mark! He was diagnosed with severe retardation....
i think him being married to Cindy had something to do with it....

Dani and GoGo-cutest kids ever!
and far in the distance,Terril gets bratty!

PDrake and Trav lettin it all hang out...

Soccertiki suffering from a headache probably caused by that stupid hat of his!

Cindy needs a TUMS!

Vital Tiki Eric-kisser of men...

Eric and Cheryl....

Terrill and Cheryl..

Wifey tried to take picture while we danced.....

Rockers..

Rounding off the evening dancing to the menehunes....

Pat has the voice of an angel...

So much fun! and having Dr. Tiki,Lala,and Tosca for neighbors was more than we could have hoped for!
thanks agin everyone for all the hugs and belly laughs and drinks!
thanks Rory! You did a good thing!

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom
and your Brain will Expand!
or your money back....

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-05-12 08:48 ]

Hey little lost tiki, I love the "P.S. I Love You" touch to the picture. Much to my shame, here is a pic I didn't show on Tikiblog.

Unfortunately, I was man love attempt number one and didn't admit it. Luckily, my wife Maria (MexicanTiki) was there to beat the living crap out of Vital Tiki for the razor burn he gave me with his kiss attempt on the cheek. (attention all Anglos, remember that Lorraina Bobbett was Hispanic)

Somehow, the actual kiss picture (it was on the cheek as I am from Palm Desert, not Palm Springs), was deleted from the evidence file. Go figure. I should work for the U.S. Government.

well I must say it looks like I missed alot of fun on Fri and Sat.

I did get to see 3 bands today Sun.
and meet some cool new tiki friends,
but it seems like alot of the "cool kids"
left Sun. morn before I got there.

party poopers.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-05-12 00:03, bigtikidude wrote:
well I must say it looks like I missed alot of fun on Fri and Sat.
I did get to see 3 bands today Sun.
and meet some cool new tiki friends,
but it seems like alot of the "cool kids"
left Sun. morn before I got there.
party poopers.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Party poopers?
The party started Thursday Night Jeff....
Sunday was Recovery Day.....
get with the program....

My wife and i (Susan & Corey) had an unreal time, and met some solid people. Found out WooHoo and SoccerTiki live right around the corner from us, i had been admiring their tikis in front of their house for a long time wondering who lived there. Theres nothing like hanging out poolside with a cocktail and the Menehunes playing in the backround. Rory is a stand up guy and a great host! He truly put his heart and soul into this event and it showed. Looking forward to Tiki Caliente 2. Sorry mom for having to deal with a zombiefied mangled mongoloid with booze oozing from my pores one eye propped open with a swizzle stick on Mothers Day.

Aloha nui loa

Mon, is recovery day Ken.

everybody should have Mondays off.
I highly recommend it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Excellent time! Thanks Rory Wildsville Man!!!

How about that 96 degree temperature!!

And thank you Squid for playing drums with us. You are the most awesome drummer.

Does everyone know that the Smoking Menehunes had no rehearsals with Squid! He doesn't need them!!!!

I still haven't heard an answer to Bamboo Ben's question.......did anyone sell anything or was it just a big tiki party?

yes... some stuff was sold.

but the pace was light enough where the vendors could actually enjoy themselves this time.. we were swimming, hanging out with other vendors, working on our craft in our booths... AND selling some stuff too.

If the ONLY reason you would come is to sell stuff then you might have been discouraged. If you came with the intent to participate in the festivities as well then it would have been a nice experience.

Since I wasnt there during the first couple Oasis'... I am guessing that this is what it was like. Relaxed... easy.

• No one trying to stake out their lounge chairs with towels at 6am...
  • No one trying to use Orange Cones to try and reserve themselves or their buddies a parking space.
  • No one stealing someones vintage shirt or lifting a collectible mug from someone elses room..
  • the Ice machines did NOT run out of ice...
  • No one waiting in line for an hour just to get the event mug. No one scalping their second event mug to people farther back in line.

It was real pleasant.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-05-12 11:08 ]

Thank you Rory and for everyone who helped out. The weather was perfect.
Good times as always.

Thanks to everyone!!!!

Yaniger, Horne & Stacey, Squid and Monkeyman

Crazy Al & Rebecca

Terrill giving me a kiss (smack)

Rebecca admiring Big Toe's artwork

Grog always a pleasure

Nice work Bosko

Hello Ray

Mike looking at good artwork

Biff, Andy and Riptide

There is Mike again - He gets everywhere

Tigerlily & me

Derek Yaniger your work was awesome

Andy & Biff (Team Tiki)

Biff bought Heather Watts beautiful painting.

First Tiki as you walk into the gallery - Crazy Al

Smokin Menehunes was a nice touch at night

Somewhere on your journey don't forget to turn around and enjoy the view.

[ Edited by: goddess-sun 2008-05-12 11:40 ]

Just wanted to drop some PROPS for Rory aka Wildsville Man and the effort he put into Tiki-Caliente. I had a great time -- good friends, good music, good vibe. Can't wait for the next one!

On 2008-05-11 19:37, Ben Stolen wrote:
THIS IS AN OFFICIAL RANSOM NOTE !!!!
I have been stalking Wildsvilleman all weekend waiting like a vulture for him to slip up and it happened . I have taken the infamous glasses from his possesion and I require his cooperation to get them back . Yes, I have stolen the Lone Rangers mask .....heh,heh,heh.Without them he is as powerless as Superman near Kryptonite .I didnt take that hat because now he will need it to sell pencils out of . Here is my proof .

We wouldnt want anything to happen to these babies now would we . No harm will come to them as long as the demands are met . An no calls to the tiki police either . He is still being watched .I will post again within 48 hours as to what to do .

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!

Not Cool Dude!!!! I got up this morning feeling weak and out of touch. I tryed to show you up by getting some new replacement shaded, but Marty the Party doesn't even know it's me. At first I thought it might be Tiki Ray but then i realized he's not that smart. Then I thought maybe Ken Rizic,but then I realized he was busy reading the Gay yellowpages........

I don't know who you are and what you want......so just say it!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT DO YOU WANT?

a sad day at Tiki Caliente

It's me Marty

This was going to be my new look for Wildsville Man

The day after.........Tiki Broker,smokin tiki,and drake perry still in the house....but otherwise quite.

Great art Little lost tiki..............Thank you very much

Thanks to Tiki Bar TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thanks to everyone who made a dream come true.......I can't thank you all enough.....

Rory Snyder (a.k.a. WILDZ) I WANT MY WILDSVILLE-MAN GLASSES BACK BUTTHOLE!!!!!!

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville Man) Palm Springs Bartender Services

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-05-12 12:53 ]

TM

Here is a scary thought: You are walking down a dark alley at night, behind some old, wierd motel in Palm springs. Suddenly, the night grows even darker. Was that a shadow crossing the moon? No, it is Grog, Hinano Paul and soccer tiki, and all three of them want to do a tango on your face, beat you senseless and then leave you where they find you.

Good thing I can run fast!

So I run. And bump into a strange man with punk-blonde hair holding a gay palm springs directory. I think I am safe, when out comes the knife. (It's a custom Ruzik knife)it slashes across, down and then across again. I am disembowled. Just like in the movie "Caligula", the mai-tai and scorpion cocktails come gushing out, and I crumple half-dead in the parking lot. There is a pool of drying blood, the knife is still there, but all the other guests have long since gone. Only the swimming pool remains, with 2-or 3 forlorn and sad pool toys floating around, waiting for next year's Tiki Caliente 2!!!!

Amen!

On 2008-05-12 13:08, lucas vigor wrote:
Here is a scary thought: You are walking down a dark alley at night, behind some old, wierd motel in Palm springs. Suddenly, the night grows even darker. Was that a shadow crossing the moon? No, it is Grog, Hinano Paul and soccer tiki, and all three of them want to do a tango on your face, beat you senseless and then leave you where they find you.
So I run. And bump into a strange man with punk-blonde hair holding a gay palm springs directory. I think I am safe, when out comes the knife. (It's a custom Ruzik knife)it slashes across, down and then across again. I am disembowled. Just like in the movie "Caligula", the mai-tai and scorpion cocktails come gushing out, and I crumple half-dead in the parking lot. There is a pool of drying blood, the knife is still there, but all the other guests have long since gone. Only the swimming pool remains, with 2-or 3 forlorn and sad pool toys floating around, waiting for next year's Tiki Caliente 2!!!!
Amen!

WHAAAA?
I'm sorry Mr. Vigor
but ex-marines don't use knives....
they disembowel with their bare hands.....
or maybe it was a massive papercut you got thumbing thru the Gay Yellow pages.....

uuum ok??

hey just wanted to say that Squid and the Martini Kings Sun. afternoon were great too.
No rehearsals for them either. Just total spur of the moment songs being called out and they'd give him heads ups when some changes were coming.

SO I came out to PS to see them, as Tony asked me for Squids e-mail just a few weeks ago, and I figured I should go see them, since I hooked them up.
and was pleasantly surprised to see the Smokin Menahunes playin in the Morning, and the 2 Slack Key guitarists playing at 7 pm.

even though alot of people had left it was still a great time.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

On 2008-05-12 13:26, little lost tiki wrote:

On 2008-05-12 13:08, lucas vigor wrote:
Amen!

WHAAAA?
I'm sorry Mr. Vigor
but ex-marines don't use knives....
they disembowel with their bare hands.....
or maybe it was a massive papercut you got thumbing thru the Gay Yellow pages.....

I admit it. I was peeking at it, a bit!! (I just wanted to see if Tiki Bong or Pat had any listings in it!!-turns out they did, for "gay Hawaiian band now accepting gigs in Palm Springs area")

Lucas Vigor wrote:
I admit it. I was peeking at it, a bit!! (I just wanted to see if Tiki Bong or Pat had any listings in it!!-turns out they did, for "gay Hawaiian band now accepting gigs in Palm Springs area")

I always Knew you guys were tiki pole smokers.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-05-12 14:36 ]

T

Hey Rory , how did I get involved with the underhanded crew you run with ?
I just wanted to thank everyone for a kickass great time . As you can see by the pics that just about everyone was there from the cali crew . We even imported some from Arizona , Nevada and we were really reaching when some guy in an orange shirt showed up from "down under".I sold or even gave away all the Caliente poster necklaces and even sold 2 tikis . There were so many funny moments happening all over the grounds at the same time . Rory, you did a great job ! Thanks to all , Ray

The grape smuggler in the red speedos was from Austria and asked me if we did this every weekend. I saw his wife buy an Aloha sign and a tiki mask so they were definately stoked to have stumbled onto it.

Agreed, fantastic weekend. Thank you Rory for putting on the event and everybody else for making it a great time. Now time to recover.

Jeff

T

At first I thought it might be Tiki Ray but then i realized he's not that smart.
At first I thought it might be Tiki Ray but then i realized he's not that smart.

GOTCHA BIATCH !
This will guarantee me final payment on the Caliente tiki you HALF bought .(with one dollar bills I might add ) I hope the final payment isnt in penny rolls . You must have been the one doing the escort service at the hotel in Kennys phone book . What the hell , a bucks a buck right ? I mentioned in an earlier post that I was having back problems and was going to take it easy this weekend . Dont worry about the fact that my doctor has referred me to therapy. His quote reads ...Evaluate and treat MRI Lumbar showing severe DJD, desiccation and spurring L4-S1. That final payment can fund my copays .
"Just carry it over to my girlfriends car , its right out the gate " he says .Just out the gate and walk to Indian Wells is more like it . We tried to fit it in HIS trunk but it was jam packed with Jimmy Buffet signed flamingos .I guess Ill go to treatment now and wait for your phone call you half man, son of a window dresser .

Now can you dig THAT ?????????

TT

Tiki Ray... Brilliant!
But i was kinda hoping to see at least one lens get the drill treatment...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 477 replies