Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic's Aqua Seahorse Mug Query

Pages: 1 8 replies

W

First off, what a lucky boy am I...Today's scores: a nice piece of Samoan tapa (99 cents), the Norman Luboff Choir album "Aloha From Norman Luboff" and an album named "Ports of Paradise" that "Includes a 16 page brochure in full color" with many nice pictures including one swell Tiki shot. The music on both albums is like an elavtaor ride in paradise.

But my happiest moment of the day: Finding two large aqua mugs, shaped like seahorses, raised letters on one side that say Trader Vic's, and on the other side "of Hawaii" ($2 each). There's no maker's mark on the bottom, in fact they sort of look like pottery craft stuff as they have a mold line on the bottom. But the glaze and weight seem better than most craft stuff. I've never seen one's like this before, anyone have any info?

Mutt,
I've seen those mugs sell on Ebay for $100.00. Good score. They sell a mug like it at Louie B's
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/louieb/ceramics/
Al

great finds!!!
odd coincidence, i also got at "Ports of Paradise" ~ 1.99 yay! but it's gonna cost me 50bucks to get my turntable moving again! i thought i forgot how to use it..upon closer inspection, the belt is busted and the needle crumbled off..

M

But my happiest moment of the day: Finding two large aqua mugs, shaped like seahorses, raised letters on one side that say Trader Vic's, and on the other side "of Hawaii" ($2 each).

Nice find..and a stellar price. These are very popular ebay-wise. They consistently pull in large bids as was already posted. People sure seem to like that mug...although not sure why.

These were solely Hawaii TV mugs, no? I am inclined to think so. I know some mugs were exclusive to the place. One such mug has been referred to as "pig fetus in a jar". Not my term, but actually kind of accurate.

Great find, and a greater price. Every time I look in stores here in SF, it's othing..or$50 Harvey's mugs. One of hese days though!

midnite

Every time I look in stores here in SF, it's othing..or$50 Harvey's mugs. One of hese days though!

Ah, the eternal Catch 22. While a Tiki-rich place like SF attracts too many hipsters and the high prices to go with it, a Tiki-poor area sells cheap, but has few items to sell.
Selah!

Trader Woody

M

[i]Ah, the eternal Catch 22. While a Tiki-rich place like SF attracts too many hipsters and the high prices to go with it,
Trader Woody

TWoody,
You are spot on! Glad someone else recognizes my dilemna here. It's not a Tiki collector paradise at all. High prices for any mugs/etc, to go along with high prices for just about everything else.

Sellers at the few "antique fairs" I visit are too knowledgeable, the consignment shops...same thing. No motorcar, so my coverage is limited geographically...or I rent a car and have to add $40 to the price of any mugs I would find. If I find.

No more hipsters in SF, we have enough!
midnite :)

J

im on the hunt now for one too! A friend of mine saw it and I would love to surprise her with one.... if anyone has any leads, please let me know!

J

i literally keep missing every ebay aution on these and i want one before xmas... anyone have any leads?

HOK

Pages: 1 8 replies