Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Finally - A Recipe Using Corn Flake Oil.

Pages: 1 6 replies

I found an old copy of "Sailor Dick's Liquor Ledger" at a garage sale last week. Inside were many long-forgotton drink recipes from famous hotels and bars, including this one from the Hawaiian Inn in Tampa, which uses that corn flake oil that's being sold in those Moai decanters at TJ MAX.

The "Hawaiian Instep" or "Poodle-Licker":

1 1/2 oz Puerto-Rican White Rum
1 oz Passion Fruit Juice
1 oz Sauerkraut brine (don't just pour the brine from the jar - make sure you actually squeeze the sauerkraut in your fist into a shot glass. It makes a subtle but important difference in the flavor)
1/2 oz Liquor 42
Shuck 2 oysters. Set aside.

Shake the first 4 ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker. Strain through a semi-dirty sock into a tall glass coated with absinthe or soy sauce (it shouldn't matter which). Whisper "Vermouth" lightly into the glass two times, then float 1/4 inch of Corn Flake Oil on the top. The oil should be thick enough to support the two shucked oysters. If you lack a fresh sprig of mint, substitute 1/2 inch of ash from a Kool Menthol cigarette tapped against the rim of the glass.

These are amazing! Doctor Z, Johnnie Velour and myself have been making them all night and together we've almost finished one.

It helps if you set aside several dirty socks beforehand during the week, because you go through them pretty fast once you start mixing.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-05-28 23:39 ]

T

That sounds a lot like the 'Naked Mole Rat', except for instead of a sock I use old pantyhouse. And I don't whisper 'vermouth', and I float Canadian Bacon on the top instead of oysters. But otherwise, very close!

S
SES posted on Sat, May 29, 2004 6:50 AM

On 2004-05-29 05:54, tikifish wrote:
That sounds a lot like the 'Naked Mole Rat', except for instead of a sock I use old pantyhouse.

Tikifishnets?
:wink:

BR

I found an old copy of "Sailor Dick's Liquor Ledger" at a garage sale last week. Inside were many long-forgotton drink recipes from famous hotels and bars, including this one from the Hawaiian Inn in Tampa, which uses that corn flake oil that's being sold in those Moai decanters at TJ MAX.

Ah the Hawaiian Inn. The Best stone crab claws I ever had. The place is history now replaced by a Best Buy.

D

I didn't think of a drink-I thought of having a crunchy mazola party.

T

Sounds like something I would have concoted after a few mai tais, only worse. Maybe.

TM

So good, it needed a flabojah bump!

Pages: 1 6 replies