Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Wedding Sign, etc.

Pages: 1 12 replies

So, the mysteriously monikered 'Kim' and I had our wedding ceremony this past weekend:)

I decided to try my hand at carving/sculpting a few items of tiki-themed decor for the reception - a welcome sign and stylized outriggers for table centerpieces. Some of the results
( the less horrid ones :) )
are shown below...

Centerpiece 1

Centerpiece 1 - Back

Centerpiece 1 - Prow

Centerpiece 2

Centerpiece 2 - Back

Centerpiece 2 - Prow

Centerpiece 3

Centerpiece 3 - Back

Centerpiece 3 - Prow

The Welcome Sign

The Welcome Sign - Bottom

The Welcome Sign - Top

The Welcome Sign - Top, Closer

Oh - I forgot to add the practical technical details - the project took about 9 weeks (including a few false starts as I figured out how the tools and the various media worked) to produce the sign and 6 centerpiece boat/planter/things.

The sign is about 6 feet tall, the boats averaged 2 feet long.

They're made out of Pink Insulation Styrofoam, with a little bondo and paper-clay to blend the seams. The shapes were roughed out with a hot knife, and finished with a dremel grinder.

Blah blah blah.
:)

Very imaginative!
And congratulations!

VERY cool!
Great use of an otherwise boring household product.
Sounds like you wedding was top-notch! Congratulations.

H

Wow, I love it, Noel! I especially love that sign, it looks like something Oceanic Arts would have done for the Polynesian Village Resort. Very cool.

So, how many times are you two going to get married, anyway? :wink: I hope you guys had a wonderful time. Looking forward to seeing you in June!

K
Kim posted on Wed, Apr 14, 2004 6:44 PM

Just twice! :)

One courthouse marriage ceremony, one big lounge/exotica tiki party!

H

On 2004-04-14 18:44, Kim wrote:
Just twice!

Why stop there? I think you should make it an annual event.

Your craftwork ROCKS!!!!!!

Some excellent work.

"You Got a Job, Man!" Go with it!!

T

Those centerpieces rock! Nice work tikitronic!

Wow!! Tikitronic those are awesome. Excellent job with the finish also. So how does that stuff smell when working with it? I have been wanting to do some sign work using foam, dremel and sandblaster. Your creations have given me new inspiration.
By the way, Inside the Tiki Farm has a Drew Brophy piece made out of sign foam above the staircase that leads to Drew's studio. It is pretty big and very cool also. Not sure what tools and technique he used though.
Chongolio
Anymore in the works?

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-16 18:16 ]

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Chongolio - the styro fumes are terrible - after a half-hour I went out and invested in a respirator and enclosed goggles.

But now, of course, I'm totally hooked on the carving/sculpting process. I've got a new project going in the basement already...

M
miko posted on Sat, Nov 24, 2007 6:24 PM

Tikitronic,
Your wedding sounded awesome. I'm so sad the photos are no longer posted :(. I did see that your post is 4 years old, but I would be so happy of you could repost your wedding pics. I'm having a very similar wedding.

Thank You

Pages: 1 12 replies