Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Mr Smiley Visits Portland May 12-May16

Pages: 1 36 replies

I will be available for drinkin' and carousin' May 12 evening through May 16 afternoon!! WATCH OUT PORTLAND!!! :) Hope to see some home bars--any offers??

Castaway Cove will still be in the process of preparing for the NW Tiki Crawl, but it will be ready for a sneak preview in your honor. Bet we could talk Mr.TikiBar into pouring a drink or ten at his place, but he won't respond to this until he gets back from Vegas. We'll also run you around to Alibi and Jasmine Tree It'll be like a mini crawl!

M

On 2004-03-19 13:07, TikiMaxton wrote:
Castaway Cove will still be in the process of preparing for the NW Tiki Crawl, but it will be ready for a sneak preview in your honor. Bet we could talk Mr.TikiBar into pouring a drink or ten at his place, but he won't respond to this until he gets back from Vegas. We'll also run you around to Alibi and Jasmine Tree It'll be like a mini crawl!

I am game!!Thanks-bruce

It would be an honor. I just have to stay out of the booze so there is something to pour.
I will spruce things up (vacuum the dog hair)
for mid-May. There's a chance I will be pulled out of town but I think we can swing it.

Hi Mr. Smiley,
Our tiki room is an original from 1949 and you are welcome to visit if you would like. Best Regards,
Gem

M

Wow--that sounds great. About a year or a little more, someone posted a house for sale in Portland that had a tiki bar in it from about 1949--did you buy that house??--bruce
I am looking forward to this trip!! ZAZZZ!

Hi Bruce,

It is the same house and we have decided not to sell it. We were buying a loft but decided that it would be too small; so we pulled out and now we love our house again. We are just starting to aestheticize. We have not yet done anything to our tiki room. It is on our list. It is very original but without any of the over the top accessories.

It would very fun to have you come by.

Best Regards,
Gem

M

Congrats on changing your mind and not getting what may have been a stale loft! The photos of your bar made me want to move to Portland. Now it is time to get to work on it.--bruce :)

M

It is getting closer -but I still don't know where the class is that I have to go to Thursday and Friday day!! So I don't know yet where I will be staying. About four years ago at the Jantzen beach Red Lion , I had the "pleasure" to see the best/worst/most grotesque train wreck of a lounge act. It was beautiful--have any of you Portland folks heard of this guy. I can't remember his name it was " (insert male name here) and His Disco Duck" maybe something like "David Knight" --any way, this guy has an animatronic duck that "sings" along with him(through the wonders of Ventriloquism) and they both tell dirty jokes and sing typical sappy hotel lounge tunes. Sheer brilliance!!! Is this guy still around? Anyone know whom I am talking about? Anyone know where he is signing? I wanna see that craaazy duck!!

Was it Rick Dees and His Disco Duck?
oops, I guess not.

[ Edited by: sparklegem on 2004-04-26 19:36 ]

no, not Rick Dees. Rick Dees is too famous. The guy I saw was just some lounge singer.

Mr Smiley,
That would be Mark Knight who still has a gig at the Jantzen Beach Double Tree. He still uses the duck but has shifted into DJ mode.

S

Fooooey, I can't make my way down,
i'm gonna be in Lovely Spokane!
yicka.
Any tiki bars there I should
know about?
(too lazy to search... hahahah)

M

On 2004-04-28 17:22, sweetpea wrote:
yicka.
know about?

POOH on Pea for not being able to visit!! :)

T

On 2004-04-28 17:22, sweetpea wrote:
yicka.
know about?

Are you staying at the Tiki Lodge?

http://spokane.citysearch.com/profile/10939120

Might be worth a look-see.

[OK, I hate it when topics get changed in midstream and I don't want to intrude on Mrs Miley's grand plans but here I go anyway...]

The Tiki Lodge in Spokane is NOT woth a look. Apparently Tiki Lodge was something of a chain. The listing in the Oregon section of "Tiki Road Trip" sums up Spokane's Tiki Lodge as well. I have a vintage post card from the Spokane Tiki Lodge and even when it was shiny new all there was of interest was it's "A" frame form. Ooooh. But they must have been impressed with themselves: A small ad for the Spokane Tiki Lodge I clipped from an old magazine has a Tiki in it.

Now back to Miley In Portland...If you don't know already: Maori_man's shop, Dr. Tongue's 3-D House of Collectible Toys (1408 E Burnside 503-233-8915), is definitely worth a look-see. Chock full of (Surprise!) collectible toys. Lots of "Oh, man, THOSE!" moments. He even sells a collection of the weird candy you thought was long gone...Like candy cigarettes and bubblegum cigars. Fair to real good prices, friendly staff, and the shops small enough to eaves drop on every passing converstaion which made my visit feel like I was an extra in "The Android's Dungeon: The Movie" as written produced and directed by Kevin Smith.

T

On 2004-04-29 00:15, woofmutt wrote:
[OK, I hate it when topics get changed in midstream and I don't want to intrude on Mrs Miley's grand plans but here I go anyway...]

The Tiki Lodge in Spokane is NOT woth a look. Apparently Tiki Lodge was something of a chain. The listing in the Oregon section of "Tiki Road Trip" sums up Spokane's Tiki Lodge as well.

My apologies for changing the topic. I didn't realize it was already in TRT as I was at work when I posted that and I don't keep a copy of the book at work. Now, back to a topic I love to talk about: Portland!

W

Ah hell...I think I'm gonna cut my fingers off so I can't type no more. Wait, I already can't type.

Just in case it was taken wrong I wasn't implying that I was put off by anyone's topic change in this thread. I just didn't want the original poster to...Ahhh forget this. I've got some Old Forester that I have to put into some Coke and then put all that into me.

Oh, and see the Chinese Garden in Portland.

T

On 2004-04-29 21:34, woofmutt wrote: Just in case it was taken wrong I wasn't implying that I was put off by anyone's topic change in this thread.

No offense was taken. You made a good point to stay on topic. Let's drink to Portland!

Let's drink to Portland!

Alrighty!
Here's to you 'Portland
through a shot glass with a buffalo squeeze.'

Woofmutt, I hope you stayed away from the cutlery after the bourbon and cokes. I agree that no one was offended. Well, there was that Mrs. Miley remark...

"Let's drink to Portland!"

Thanks, jab, I needed a reason to drink tonight!

Viva La Portland!

(Holy Hell! I shift you not- As I was about to press "Submit" for this post the song "Portland, Oregon" by Loretta Lynn and Jack White came on the radio! Too freaky for me. I'm going back to TV.)

M

Looks like we will be meeting up at The Alibi for drinks Friday Night May 14 at 6pm.
Now, what about a couple home bars, should that be Saturday night --or one after the Alibi if there is one in that general section of Portland? Mr. Smiley wants to know..

M

Looks like we will be meeting up at The Alibi for drinks Friday Night May 14 at 6pm.
Now, what about a couple home bars, should that be Saturday night --or one after the Alibi if there is one in that general section of Portland? Mr. Smiley wants to know.
Any other suggestions for must see places?? Bars, stores(esp vintage clothing), restaurants, etc??

K

On 2004-05-07 10:49, mrsmiley wrote:

Now, what about a couple home bars, should that be Saturday night --or one after the Alibi if there is one in that general section of Portland? Mr. Smiley wants to know.
Any other suggestions for must see places?? Bars, stores(esp vintage clothing), restaurants, etc??

Damn! I'm driving up from San Francisco Friday and Saturday! Sorry I'll miss the happy hour...

T
thejab posted on Fri, May 7, 2004 1:28 PM
M

On 2004-05-07 10:49, mrsmiley wrote:

OK-what's up for Saturday night--anything??

On 2004-04-29 21:34, woofmutt wrote:
see the Chinese Garden in Portland.

wooffie--is this the one?? ;
"Chinese Gardens
(503) 252-2002 410 SE 162nd Ave
Portland, OR"

M

I will be leaving for the airport in a few minutes and should not have a chance to check email this weekend. My # is 510-BIG-HUNK if you want to try to get ahold of me to meet up somewhere or talk to me at the Alibi at 6pm Friday the 14th---Bruce Smiley

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-05-27 17:04 ]

M

Had a nice dinner at Jake's Seafood and walked around the neighborhood. Lots of bars nearby-but when I'd peek in, all I saw was a bunch of muscular guys in tank tops hanging out with not a woman in sight!!! What does this mean??? They were all very friendly to Mr Smiley (and to each other)-so I will have to guess that Portland is a very friendly town! I did feel put off by their bodies, as Mr Smiley has a six-pack stomach (albeit a LO-CARB one) and couldn't compare to their washboard stomachs. So I didn't hang out in each of those places for more than three or four drinks each. :)

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-05-13 13:23 ]

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-05-13 13:24 ]

I know the bars you're talking about, Mr. S. Would you believe that ladies are not permitted in the upstairs rooms? Gracious me, I thought that sort of segregation was out of style!

Seriously, hanging around those places (espeically in Portland, where people tend to let it all hang out) is a really, REALLY nasty way to put out an eye...

On 2004-05-13 14:29, Frenchy Polynesia wrote:
I know the bars you're talking about, Mr. S. Would you believe that ladies are not permitted in the upstairs rooms? Gracious me, I thought that sort of segregation was out of style!

Seriously, hanging around those places (espeically in Portland, where people tend to let it all hang out) is a really, REALLY nasty way to put out an eye...

Those are the places where they have the urinal trough running along the bar so you don't have to leave your drink, right?

T

Isn't there an all-night diner in that neighborhood that sometimes fills up with drag queens after 2 AM? Fun place. I think it's right around the corner from hotel mrsmiley's staying at.

mrsmiley, gay bars are often the best places to meet women 'cause if there's a woman in a gay bar she's probably straight!

Mr. Smiley,

Sorry I didn't think to warn you about "Vaseline Alley". Jake's sits right in the middle of it.

You might want to catch a movie tonight at the Mission Theater - it's a "Theater Pub", an animal very popular in these parts and rightly so. Good grub, beer (or cocktails) and a second run movie in a cool old theater. There are tons of 'em in town, but I believe Mission is the closest.

Also, Gypsy on NW 21st has pretty cool retro atmosphere. An do try to catch happy hour at the top of the Big Pink building - it's the tallest building in town and has a great view and happy hour...

M

On 2004-05-13 15:13, thejab wrote:
Isn't there an all-night diner in that neighborhood that sometimes fills up with drag queens after 2 AM? Fun place. I think it's right around the corner from hotel mrsmiley's staying at.

mrsmiley, gay bars are often the best places to meet women 'cause if there's a woman in a gay bar she's probably straight!

The few women there had larger Adams apples than I do....strange. Must be the Portland water.

M

On 2004-05-13 15:28, TikiMaxton wrote:
Mr. Smiley,

An do try to catch happy hour at the top of the Big Pink building - it's the tallest building in town and has a great view and happy hour...

there are so many buildings in downtown that my view is only a block at a time--where is this Big pink building you speak of?

It's the biggest, pinkest building in town - can't miss it. It's near Burnside and 4th downtown. The restaurant/lounge is called Portland City Grill.

Seeya tonight!

Pages: 1 36 replies