Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

High School Beachcomber

Pages: 1 15 replies

A yearbook of my high school is up on ebay, featuring a very nice moai ( the school mascot ) on the cover. Granted a few years before my time, but cool nonetheless.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1555725352
TG

Great school mascot. Much better than my alma mater's General Robert E. Lee. :roll:

yeah, much better than my alma mater:

gordon lee memorial high school - home of the fightin' TROJANS!

Go You Mighty Trojans!

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-08-14 08:00 ]

I have ya all beat.
I went to beavercreek highschool. home of the battln' beavers and the #1 ranked "lady's beavers". and even better at football games everyone used to yell to get the team going... "eat 'em up beavers eat 'em up!!!"

On 2002-08-14 07:59, Tiki Chris wrote:
yeah, much better than my alma mater:

gordon lee memorial high school - home of the fightin' TROJANS!

Alas, I was a Trojan as well. Foothill High School has (had? Haven't been there in a while)a statue of a Trojan, with raised sword, above the entrance to the gym. You'd never believe what some ingenious pranksters would put on the tip of the sword at least once a year :wink:

Cool. I am gonna bid on that one, these are exactly the kind of relevant details that I love for my work.

Now I don't have an exclusion clause, really...but...

Is there a moai on the school flag/sports uniforms/etc? Was the school founded by a drunken shriner? More info! More info!

Trader Woody

T

Yeah! The Fight'n Mighty Moais :D

On 2002-08-14 14:31, Trader Woody wrote:
Is there a moai on the school flag/sports uniforms/etc? Was the school founded by a drunken shriner? More info! More info!

Trader Woody

The old team football helmets had a moai with a palm tree behind it, and in the quad area of the highschool, there was a lava rock moai. Dunno why, it was one of those things that had always been.
TG

what's the status of the school's mascot, etc. today?

I'm not quite sure, I don't know if the helmets still have the Moai and palm tree. I looked once awhile ago, and they didn't seem to have them.
And each time I've been back, the school has been closed, and seeing as my old home town is an island, the police have nothing to do, and so I don't dare jump the fence and trespass as that would be considered a major crime spree by them.
I'll look into it , and see if I can find my old yearbooks and post some photos.
TG

TikiGardner said: "I don't know if the helmets still have the Moai and palm tree."

Man, now THAT would be a cool think to have - the football helmet!!! I'd hang it right in my garage! Maybe in my tiki bar, if ever I build one.

And ArtFink - Ah, The Beavers of Beaver-ditch, (much less than a creek, you know). My mom's old school. I was a Tecumseh Arrow. Not quite Tiki...but primitive, none-the-less.

We were practically neighbors, you and I!

Small world.

M
mig posted on Mon, Oct 21, 2002 8:12 PM

When I saw this subject line, I thought we were talking about Tiki King's daughter... she still gets my vote for TC mascot... (oops: meant to post this under the "Tiki Mascot" thread, sorry)

[ Edited by: mig on 2002-10-21 20:14 ]

So I got said yearbook (thank you very much, all) while in Germany (won and paid it, got it sent to LA) and it is a fine source of what I am ALWAYS looking for:

More amateur pix of 50s/60s Americans congregating with Tikis.
Though the quality of the pix is not great, there are quite a few with the Moai. The first reads:
The new school symbol, the "Tiki". Selected from student drawings (whose?) by Ex. Com. (?), ordered and especially built for the student body. "Tiki" was unveiled at a huge bonfiree pep rally in preperation for homecoming.

Now there were some weird rituals...American that is.
Apparently the basketball team was called the Islanders, and the schoolpaper was The Islander.

But for Tikigod's sake what is the picture of Richard Nixon flanked by two Highschool beauties doing in there, under "We remember",
with the caption "The wheels meet and spin"!!?

bigbrotiki wrote:
But for Tikigod's sake what is the picture of Richard Nixon flanked by two Highschool beauties doing in there, under "We remember",
with the caption "The wheels meet and spin"!!?

I think pictures are essential here....
Big Lebowski fans will be well aware of the classic Nixon bowling photo (Horribly discomforting yet truly normal), but this drifts resolutely into the realms of the weird.

Trader Woody

Glad to be of help, I'll have to swing by and view the tome.

Also keep in mind that almost all the sports teams were called "Islanders", as we lived on an island.

I'll contact one of my alma matter and see if they can hook me up with the stylin old school white helmet with green Moai and palm tree logo. Well a picture of one anyways.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2002-10-22 20:34 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies