Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / Gilligan's Island Box Set

Post #134679 by bigbrotiki on Sun, Jan 9, 2005 11:31 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

OK kids, I wrote about this in "TIKI TV-A Pagan Godhead In Every Livingroom" in Tiki News #10:
The episodes that feature Tikis are the 1964 "Waiting for Watubi",where the main gimmick is "Kona", a bad luck Tiki that the Skipper is trying to get rid off (Sherwood Schwartz, who also created the Brady Bunch, must have dug that bad luck concept).
Kona looks very much like a Milan Guanko Tiki, and I have one just like it. I do not know if it is THE Kona, because it has lathe marks underneath and must have been done in several copies. But I have never seen another one.

The other episode is the 1966 "Voodoo", where the gang finds an idol in a cave. it is the strange little Moai offered as "Easter Island bust" on page 187 of the BOT. Have that one too, but it was definitely mass-produced, in plaster, with black lava-like finish. They painted it gold for the G.I. episode. :(

The "Castaways" restaurants in Burbank (still stands, but no Tiki) and Las Vegas took their name from the show, obviously. Paul Page had a great song on one of his albums called "Castaway".