Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

More home made lighting

Pages: 1 2 80 replies

A

I made a Tapa Hut Style Lamp and photographed it as I went along.

You'll need Two wood Rings, 1" X 1", Swag Lamp Parts, Tapa, Sea Grass Braid, a Chinese Hat and Mod Podge.

Assemble wood rings (cut from Press board) with the 1" X 1". Cut out Tapa to fit frame
Using a paint brush wet the "wrong" side of Tapa with the Mod Podge.

Place Tapa on frame. Paint "good" side of Tapa with the Mod Podge.

Attach bottom Piece of Tapa with MP.

Trim Tapa and attach Sea Grass.

Wire socket and hang with swag lamp hardware.

Cool Lamp

More lighting

I was given this Fishtrap last week. I wired it and it looks great. Shelley found the glass lamp at a Thrift Store, I wired it with a blue bulb. This type of lamp is used on the Jungle Cuise at Disney.

I also wired my new Tiki. I wired the nautical lamp a couple years ago. I like the "Beachcomber look"

[ Edited by: Alnshely 2007-05-29 17:28 ]

T

Al,
The lamp looks great. Good Idea with the Tiki you wiring fool!

8T

AL, you're a lamp God! Mrs. 8FT is vintage lamp-crazy herself. She buys 'em and if possible,I fix, and hang 'em. Now you are going to get me in trouble though. Last year I bought a whole box of very old "Oriental" hats like that you used to make your lamp. I had not a clue what to do with them but at $5 for all 8 of them I couldn't pass it up. I'm sure that after she sees this topic, I know what I will be doing with them. Thanks a lot Al! If I ever make a decent one, I'll post a pic.

Excellent job Al!
Does OA sell that type of tapa?

TB

Al, thanks for the step-by-step, i will have to try it myself.

Nicely done as always Mr. Al

Quality Fun stuff.

Al, I'm moving into a house with a couple of friends and they are letting me go nuts with tiki in part of the living room. The area has this hideous hanging gold lamp that would kill the whole aesthetic of what I have planned. I'm thinking about doing a tapa lamp to cover the gold beast. Thoughts?

I also know you've mentioned it before, but where did you get you tapa again? Thanks. Great looking lamp, by the way.

A

Thanks everyone,
UB, they sell Tapa at OA but I get mine at "Momalanis Island Traditions" in Oceanside. I pay about $40.00 for a 4'X 3' Tapa.

Momalani's Island Traditions
1906 Oceanside Blvd O-side CA 92054
760-754-1276

Spike, I've almost bought old Brass and glass hanging lamps a few times. I'd planned on taking out the glass, covering the frame in Tapa and then trimming it out in bamboo. I think it would work well.
Mahalo,
Al

Lovin' it Al. Ha, Ha, Ha, I own an original Big Al Tapa lamp! So there!!!

Great job, your lamps really create a good feal to the room, Tikis are good, and I'm overloaded with 'em but the lighting in my room sucks, I tink I need something like this, thanks for sharing the step by step, and great job once again!

M

Al...I may have a project for you...

I just got this lamp from OA the other day. It's a bent bamboo frame with wiring, but no covering. It was the last example of some lamps that OA made for the Mai Kai that they didn't end up finishing when the Mai Kai backed out of the deal. I may just need your help with this, amigo. We'll talk soon....

C

Yeah Al, Another stellar light! I was just thinking the other day that we havent seen any of your fine creations in a while. Those light are so damn cool! You got skills. Thanks for sharing your technique.
I got to try and make me one of them.
Chongolio

WOW! Very creative stuff! I'm a light freak myself and I love your work! Great idea for the shade, it gives me ideas...Thank you also for the "how to" pictures, it breaks down the process very nicely into digestable chunks.
mmmm...tiki lamps...
Q - I did a search for your previous posts (as I am a Newbie here) but came up empty handed. Are they under a different name other than "home made lighting"? Thanks again and, like everyone else, I will be eagerly awaiting more creations...

A

Simply amazing...Thank you.

M

Hey, those are cool!!! I recently purchased a couple of light fixtures from Cost Plus World Market that I customized with some vintage fabric. Here's some pics:

or

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b344eaf1a447¬ag=1

[ Edited by: mattfink on 2004-02-04 10:53 ]

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2004 5:27 PM

Here's a few link to a few that I made a while back...
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=3664&forum=1

[ Edited by: KAHAKA on 2004-02-04 17:28 ]

K
Kanaka posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2004 6:19 PM

Wow!!! Al, Mattfink, and Kahaka, those are all great designs!

Kanaka

M

Kahaka,

That was one cool lamp!!! This one cost about $40 + $10 for the lighting kit. The fabric and glue we already had laying around...scored the fabric in upper Michigan for a couple of bucks at the Salvation Army.

Matt

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2004 9:12 PM

Thanks Matt. Your lamps came out super sweet too.

Hey, have you heard of a radio DJ out that way by the name of Arthur Penhallow? He's on WRIF I think. He's my uncle.

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2004 9:23 PM

Al,

Your new lamp is awesome! I ordered some tapa from Momalani's a while back- super cool people over the phone.

I've been getting my woven sea grass from Oceanic Arts, but the kind you're using looks a lot straighter than the stuff I've got. Where'd you get yours if you don't mind me asking?

Kahaka

A

Kahaka,
Thanks, Dude, Your lamp is awesome!!!, did you make the two swag lamps in the last picture? I got my seagrass at Oceanic Arts too. It was $4.50 for a roll of it.
Mahalo,
Al

Look at these finely crafted custom lamps! Just look at 'em I tell you. Masterful baby! Al, it is almost time fo' another visit.

M

Arthur P the grand poohbah!!! Of course, I used to listen to him on the school bus in Junior High back in the early 80's. Is he still on the air?

Matt

On 2004-02-04 21:12, KAHAKA wrote:
Thanks Matt. Your lamps came out super sweet too.

Hey, have you heard of a radio DJ out that way by the name of Arthur Penhallow? He's on WRIF I think. He's my uncle.

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Feb 5, 2004 4:03 PM

Thanks Al! Yep, I made those two little swag ones too. I think I'll stick with the Oceanic Arts sea grass... I think it looks the nicest, especially for the price.

Mattfink- That's the man! He's still on the radio... some 30+ years w/ WRIF. He's gonna be in a movie with Kevin Costner (I know, big deal, Kevin Costner is one of the world's worst actor), but the Grand Poobah is playing himself in it!

Alnshely....you both are very talented....thanks for the other links....question, how is the hat attached.....how do you change the bulb?

Aloha BF,
The hat is not attached to the lamp. it just sits on top loosely, threaded thru the electrical cord. The lamp body is what is attached to the hanging chain. You access the bulb by lifting the hat up.

The theaded tube at the top of the lamp attaches to a screw on loop that the hanging chain connect to. It's easy to do, just kind of hard to explain.

Heres the loop connected to the chain. The hat just sits there like a big straw washer.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-02-10 00:53 ]

Very cool.....thanks Al

Al, this is a little off topic, but where are the plastic Tikis behind the light from? I have 1 my wife found for me, but I have no idea where it's from.

On 2004-02-11 07:48, freddiefreelance wrote:
Al, this is a little off topic, but where are the plastic Tikis behind the light from? I have 1 my wife found for me, but I have no idea where it's from.

Those are a set of BBQ condiment dispensers....salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard. I recently purchased a tiki torch on ebay of a similar design.

Matt

[ Edited by: mattfink on 2004-02-11 12:20 ]

A

Hey Freddie Freelance,
On page 182 of the BOT there are a number of product based on Paul Marshal's Marquesan style Tiki. As Mattfink noted I have the bar-B-que set, S&P and ketchup and mustard dispensers. They were a birthday gift from Family Bong. I think these were sold to the public instead of Tiki bars, I don't really know though.

Mahalo,
Al

Thank you, sir, It's the ground pepper shaker that I have. I used the image for a paper mask I made for Holloween 2002.

S

Okay, I made some lamps this week for the Hapa Haole Hideaway. Sort of along Al and Shelley's plan. I had a 52 inch piece of tapa from the Hale Tiki build and I made two lamps from it. I got the 12 foot cord for lamps at Lowes, and a candelabra socket. With my trusty scroll saw I cut 2 circles with cross members and plain circles for the base. I used some glue and staples to attach the tapa to the circles. I threaded the wire into the hole I drilled in the cross member of the top and wired up the socket. I glued some tissue paper on the bottom until I get some tapa to cover it, and I am working on some hats for the top. I didn't use any top to bottom supports as this stuff is light and I didn't think it needed. I was going to nail some bamboo on it, but it was not needed.

I am now officially happy enough with the room to entertain guests.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-04-25 02:52 ]

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-04-25 02:53 ]

A

Cool deal
Mahalo,
Al

M

OK, you guys have really given me the itch to make my own lamps. Where can I get tapa cloth. I've seen the real stuff at places like Oceanic Arts, etc. but its VERY VERY expensive. The ones at AO are very large and about $100. Is there a supplier that has smaller pieces for less, or do I need to bite the bullet on that?

K

My latest swag lamp.

Yep, I tried the old TJ Maxx Sufferin Bastard bottle lamp too (see it in the background?). I couldn't resist. Thanks for the idea badmojo!

[ Edited by: KAHAKA on 2004-05-25 23:32 ]

All these lighting fixtures in this thread would look great in my bar!
Holden, we should add “shopping carts” to some of our TC Artists.

Kahaka,
THat lamp is really nice...and so is the rest of your bar area. I'm with UB - these lamps would look great at my place too!

I love this thread, so many cool lamps...so many cool ideas!

B

I agree, there are some Killer lamps here. Where do these guys get thair "Bright" Ideas.
Shopping carts would be neat but I'd Never get out of the poor house. Looks like I never will anyway, so bring on the carts.

K

Man, Benzart, I'd be willing to do some trade work for something of yours one of these days. That goes for any other artist that's out there. I figure that's the only way I'd ever be able to afford it myself!!!

K

The lamp I posted above is heading out to Primo Kimo's new bar today along with 3 others. After the weekend, I'll start on 4 more for the Kahiki Moon.

Don't forget I'm in line after those are done. I alreday e-mailed you. All the lamps you have posted are awsome. Keep up the great work!

K

Yep, you're next on the list!

D

Kahaka, what about the bar that the lamps are sitting on . . . you do that?

K

I made the bar too. It's okay- the shape is neat, but there's a lot I would improve if I were to do it again. The next will be more fine tuned.

D

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting a picture of your bar? If it is nice as your lamps, you can get into the bar making biz.

K

Here's some lamps I just finished up for Primo Kimo's Kahiki Moon. I've sent 7 out to him so far (I'm looking forward to see his place all dialed in!). I also made another one of the drum shaped lamps for Ragin' Raratongan. If anyone else is interested in a swag lamp, let me know. I'd rather sell them to the good people of Tiki Central than on ebay. I have a yahoo photo gallery of all the lamps I've made, so if you'd like to see it I'll need your email address to "invite" you to view it (I can only share the pics through yahoo with an invite... kinda silly me thinks). ORRRR, try this link
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rocknrollwoody/my_photos

Thanks!
Kahaka

[ Edited by: kahaka on 2004-08-01 16:57 ]

O

Sent you a pm about the lights

Pages: 1 2 80 replies