Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

I want to go to Hawaii

Pages: 1 25 replies

I plan on blowing my tax rebate check on a much needed vacation this year. I'd love to go to Hawaii and was just curious where you guys thought would be the best island to go to, best place to stay, and what might be a good book to read up on the subject (I saw the Dummies for Hawaii vacation but was wary).

Please post any suggestions. I'll probably be spending 7 days and would like to have as much fun as possible.

-g-

D

Hi liabungalo :)
Have you ever been to any of the Islands? Each island has different things to offer, I have only been to four of them. What are you personally looking for out of your vacation? To have fun and excitement? Relaxing getting away from everything and everyone? Are you looking for value? Personally my favorite Island was Hawaii. I really felt the spirit of aloha there. The Ciy of Refuge made a **
huge** impression on me. Mauna loa, I loved it all. Lava tubes, Kona, Hilo and everything in between. My next trip to Maui I would
really like to stay in the tree houses they have there. It really all depends on what your looking for. This is a good question, I would love to see what everyone has to say about there favorites and why.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-01-21 14:59 ]

I, and many others here, have written quite a bit about Hawaiian vacations here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=216&forum=1

Have a great time and be sure to relay your own tips to us when you get back!

-Weird Unc

I

I grew up on Oahu and visited Maui and the Big Island many times. Oahu has a lot to offer and I can steer you in the direction of some really ono manapua and bento joints and some special, off the beaten path places. And obviously for a TC'er, Oahu has a very good Hawaiiana-pop factor to it (La Mariana, Don Ho, Intl Marketplace). But Oahu can be a busy, congested place.

Maui is a bit slower and more relaxing. If you're an outdoorsman, hiking and camping in Haleakala Park is spectacular and otherworldly! The Big Island has a lot to offer, too. I hear that Kona has expanded a lot, but the few times I was there, it was possible to just drive around the area and get lost in the scenery. The drive down to Kealakekua Bay is pretty sweet. And nothing beats Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea or Pololu and the refuge at Honaunau.

I heard that you can book helicopter trips to Niihau nowadays. Holy crap! If you can do that, go for it. I'd love to get there.

I'm looking to see some historical sites and cultural areas, take in some good food and go snorkling. I will be with my girlfriend, so it has to be somewhat relaxing and romantic. She's not the adventurous type so no hiking or roughing it too hard. And we don't party, so no frat boy bar scene.

TM1

I lived near Pearl City, Oahu, for a while, and having been to Kauai, maui, hawaii, even kaho'olawe many, many times (I have been to Maui 74 times, at last count) I still like Oahu the best..beaches, cool valleys inland, lot's of nightspots, the ala moana mall, waikiki...I feel that Oahu has the greatest mix and variety...maui and Kuai are great for just relaxing, and having Mai-Tai's..of course...By the way, I never paid to go to any of these places..(I ain't rich) I was stationed in the military there, and drove Army Landing Craft in between the above-mentioned places for almost two years...so I kind of cheated!

At the time, (the early to mid 80's) hotel street in Honolulu was the most fun, and the raunchiest! Also called "shit" street, it's in Chinatown, and at the time, still had big-band hits on the jukeboxes in the many "buy-me-drinkee" bars located there....us service-men called them that, by the way..'cause the waitresses were also "business-women" and would always greet you with "Hey G.I, buy me drinkee?"
Meanwhile, big hawaiian guys would ask us pleasantly if we "liked beef".....if anyone asks you that, always answer "NO"!!

i went to oahu & molokai at the beginning of this month. here's a discuss about some of it:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6835&forum=6&20

i also HIGHLY RECOMMEND the thread that weird uncle suggested. i used it & it was a great help.

i found that many of the dining suggestions were spot on! (THANKS!)

please search tiki central for other threads about hawaii (there's a ton of info). that way you can see what's out there & ask more informed, specific questions about how to get the most out of your trip.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:44 ]

Oahu has the most Polynesean Pop, the Bishop Museum and the Polynesean Cultural Center (on the far side of the island).

Oahu also has the most nightlife action. However, it is the most crowded of all islands and Wakiki is a crowded beach. There is also Pearl Harbor and related military prescence.

However, for a romantic trip, it may not be the best choice.

Maui is a very good romantic choice. Maui, or atleast Kanapali and Kapalua, is the resort island - so the hotels will have all the ammenitites you or your girl might want, and has wonderful beaches, although not much in tiki - except for the Kanapali Beach Hotel which has a huge tiki statute and is a wonderful (& cost effective) place to stay.

Whaler's village is an excellent museum on the whaling history, although Lahania is a total tourist trap - although offers good whale watching, particularly in this time of year.

Free hula, mai-tais in fresh pineapples and sunset torch lighting at the Sheraton. The Maui Tropical Gardens are worth a visit to the that island alone.

Hawaii, the Big Island, has the Place of Refuge which is a living tiki monument. It also has petroglyphs. Visit the Volcanoes National Park and pay homage to Pele (don't take any of the soil). Visit the Painted Church.

Caution: choose your Big Island hotel carefully - most oceanfront hotels are not on a beach, but a lava coastline. You will also need to be prepared to spend some time behind the wheel touring.

Molokai is the cheapest and least touristy, but does not have much going on except for the hula festival in May.

Kaui has great gardens and numerous tikis, particularly at the Hyatt (pictures of which are located on other posts). However, the sun sets on the West and most hotels are on the East.

Lanai is for the exclusive, well-heeled traveler who wants an island somewhat to themselves - only 2 1/2 hotels and only approx 20 miles of paved road.

Although the Big Island is my recommendation, plan on going back again & again until you visit them all.

If Hawaii doesnt make (dollars &) sense, a good back-up choice would be to go to San Diego & stay at Humphrey's - a hotel where tikis abound (and which does have a bay beach across the street), visit the Bali Hai, stock up at Morts Liquour, visit the very tiki Islands restaurant at the Red Lion in Hotel Circle & the check out the upcoming tiki bar in the old Fio's location in the Gaslamp. (Also - hit the W).

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-01-21 19:41 ]

If this is your first trip to Hawaii I would vote for visiting Oahu. Yes, its busy and crowded and touristy but if you rent a car ( or even take The Bus) you can be out in the country in no time.
I think that Oahu has a good mix of old and new so you can really sample Hawaii... the food, the sights, the activities. You can sit on the beach and do nothing or you can take a tour. You can get room service, go out for plate lunch or dine at a 4 star resturant. Plus, you can always find a day trip tour to another island if you want to scout a spot for next time.
Aloha,
:tiki:

G

dat sounds so romantic! I wish I could go to da Hawaiian islands....

before I start, sit on da right side of da plane so you can see everything.

My vote...OAHU! Eh you know wat? if you don't like fo party no worries cuz! Jus go fo wun drive around Oahu and see da beauty of our isla.

I stey on da winward side of da island where da mountains and da morning dew come to play. If you come here, take a drive on da H3 and as you leave the south side of da island and drive threw da tunnel you will see heaven wen you get threw that tunnel! I promise you! right wen you get threw that tunnel look to your left towards the ocean and you will see like 15 different shades of ocean blue water and our beautiful rigid mountain coast full of GREEN tropical plants not grown on any other places in the world. that is why I live on da windward side, it reminds me of Kauai and personally I love Kauai because I'm more of da laid back mai tai, romance and greenery type of guy. Not much to do there for party peopo though. Go to the Pali look out, HO!! beautiful and historical site.

As I have sed in da past "all of our islands are beautiful" Welcome to Paradise!

Aloha

I highy recommend Tuheni. It's the least visited of all the Hawaiian Islands, but definitely the best. Crystal clear water with several large underwater Maoi near the reef. Great for taking pictures. Only one
restaurant on this island, but it rivals the Kahiki. They actually import Havana Club rum
(illegal) for their mojito's. Plus you can fish from your table! The woman on the island are gorgeous, and most wander the island topless. Rumor has it they are very friendly to tourists, wink-wink. Tons of tiki related artifacts to find as you wnader the jungle, but it's bad kharma to take them.
If you go tell the bartender Rhotami that Bob
says hi.

Just been reading through all the Hawaii posts..but have one further question;
I (and the girlfriend) will be taking a 4 week holiday in Hawaii end of December to mid January. (followed by a week in Rapa Nui). I'm not wanting to duplicate any posts but are there any specific places or things I should do in Hawaii as I am there for 4 weeks?

On 2004-01-22 05:48, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
I am there for 4 weeks?

you'll be there during whale watching season. do it toward the end of yr trip (feb. is supposedly the best time). the best area is known as the lahaina roads (the channel(?) between/around maui, molokai, & lanai.

when we were on molokai, we sat & watched innumerable whales breaching, blowing, etc.

& if you get a chance to snorkel in this area you may actually even hear them: it's an incredible sound!

Aloha! This is all great stuff! How 'bout posting your Hawaii Vacation Tips in this thread titled "Hawaii Vacation Tips" http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=216&forum=1

It'll make it so much easier for future Tiki Centralites to find your super suggestions. Just trying to make this site easier to use. Mahalo!

-Weird Unc

On 2004-01-22 05:48, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

I (and the girlfriend) will be taking a 4 week holiday in Hawaii end of December to mid January. (followed by a week in Rapa Nui).

Congratulations - The tiki gods have blesed you big time! What an incredible tiki tour. I expect a full tiki photodocumentary upon your return.

#
#54 posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2004 8:47 PM

I want to go to Hawaii too!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:45 ]

Quote (But, How are you getting to Rapa Nui from Here (Hawaii)?)

Gonna have to work that one out. I guess we may fly from the UK to Santiago (or LA) and onto Rapa Nui, then to Hawaii via Santiago and LA/SF?

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-01-23 01:16 ]

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-01-23 01:16 ]

Wow, incredible trip. I suggest you pack your bags full of your oldest, most worn out clothes. This means you can dump them after wearing them as you'll be needing the room for all the Tiki stuff you'll accumulate....

Trader Woody

I was thinking that one sea freight container would be enough or am I under estimating the amount of tiki I could buy?

Wow.. just got the prices from LanChile. £1000 from Santiago to Rapa Nui and back to LA. Makes my week there expensive, So I've decided to postpone my visit until next year and spend a good 2 or 3 weeks there.
So this year it's 5 fun filled weeks in the islands. Hawaii here we come.
If any island living TC-er's have a couple of hours spare over the End Dec / Early Jan, I'd appreciate meeting up to get some advice on the best bars & restaurants.

Mahalo

Does anyone have any information on petroglyphs on Oahu and where would the best place be to see them?

Apparently, there are some located near Diamond Head, on Mahaka on the leeward coast and in the Bishop Museum.

Apparently, they were used as to document experiences and/or as trail markers and were inscribed from 0-500 AD?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:31 ]

On 2004-05-10 22:10, filslash wrote:
aloha,There are some behind the royal masoleum off, near the trail by Kapena Falls...It's an easy small hike

Mahalo, Filslash, but could you be more specific? The map I have only references the Royal Masoleum.

Are there any petroglyphs located by Pu'uhona Heiau dedicated to Ku on the leeward side of the island off the 930, by Mahaka?

aloha,

On 2004-05-11 18:41, christiki295 wrote:

Mahalo, Filslash, but could you be more specific? The map I have only references the Royal Masoleum.

http://www.pacificworlds.com/nuuanu/stories/story1.cfm

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:31 ]

Pages: 1 25 replies