Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

triangle tiki mug?

Pages: 1 26 replies

K

My dad found these at the Goodwill for me. I was wondering if they are hard to come by and if I finally got a rare mug. The brown one says Hawaiian Village on the bottom the black triangle mug says totem pottery Port orchard WA. They both look vintage just wondering how hard they are to find. Heres a picture.

P

Great score, keigs ! Drinks were served in both of those mugs at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, here's a few pics :

I think there may also be an unmarked version of that black triangular mug, and I am curious as to whether the Hilton Hawaiian Village mugs were marked Totem Pottery or unmarked. Anyone know ?

I found one of those Totem Pottery mugs over in Kirkland not too long ago, though not exactly at Goodwill prices. Its good to know that there are still gems to be found locally. Nice find !

Keigs, I don't the black one is tiki -- it looks more native american. However, the Hawaiian Village mug is a score. I've never seen that style from them before.

Hey, thanks puamana. You beat me to the punch. It looks like we both have copies of that menu card. I've been curious to see what that triangle-shaped mug looked like in real life -- and now I know. Good post, you two.

Sabu

they are both definitely tiki keigs!

The black triangle girl is one of my favorites. very thick and solid. Both from the Hawaiian Village Hilton as seen above- The petroglyph mug you dont see around very much. I was lucky once to score a set of 6, and have never seen one again.

K

Hey thanks for the info and pics. Sounds like they are hard to come by. Finally I got a rare mug. Thanks to my dad. I have been searching for tiki stuff and Witco for a few years in thrift shops. I have found maybe 20 mugs none rare and 5 witco pieces. My dad just started looking for these items a few months ago and has already found about 15 mugs and six Witco pieces. Must pay to have years of thift store shopping under your belt. Glad he gives me his finds although I think he is starting to like the Witco stuff more and more.

Like this gal?

Well, I stand corrected! I never saw that black one before either. Keigs, looks like you found yourself a couple of Holy Grails.

Keigs!

Man, does your daddy love you or what? (will he adopt a slightly used Bong?).

I'd say the hammer rang the bell that time. Those are super scores.

K

On 2003-12-16 09:52, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Keigs!

Man, does your daddy love you or what? (will he adopt a slightly used Bong?).

I think so. The second question I dont think so you guys would argue to much and I dont need the competition.

T

Great score!
I've had three of those Diamond Head mugs- two completely unmarked that I sold on ebay for $90 each. And one, that I'm keeping, printed Kona Hilton on the bottom, but does not have the maker mark. So that should answer puamana's question.
Those mugs are great- heavy and smooth- like the Hoffman stuff....love it!

B

There is also a version of the triangular mug with a Tiki on the sides. Check out the top left corner of page 20 in Tiki Quest (OK, so it's not the best picture). But I'd seen the female figure mug before, in fact, funny story: I saw it last year on my way back from Miami, it was in a small antique mall in South Georgia but I passed on it. They wanted $25 and I figured, "nice, but it's not really a 'Tiki'". On my way home this year, I stopped in again and it was still sitting there! This time the price was marked down by half, so I thought "$12, what the hell". Then I get home and there is this thread with the fantastic menu and all. Tiki Central is a wonderful thing!

Keigs I'm guessing you are now the proud owner of the once-souveniers of somebody who travelled from the Pacific Northwest to Hawaii and most likely stayed at the Hilton circa 1965.

Probably a honeymooning couple and these are the mugs they got their drinks in.

I can hear it now:

"The lady will have a Tapa Punch and I'll have the Diamond Head"

"Oh we get to KEEP the mugs?"

Pretty cool.

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-12-17 22:27 ]

K

TikiHula and Boutiki thanks for the extra info.
fatuhiva-
sounds like a good story to me. They must have been some of the very few who went to Hawaii or any other tiki bar from W.A. in the 60s. Because mugs seem hard to come by around here. Maybe I just need to spend a day in Seattle I might have better luck!

Aloha,

Thanks to this thread. I too now own a black diamond head mug. I was fortunate enough to pick up one today out in the wild. I also found a Hoffman-esqe Moai tiki mug, a Luau, Fresno CA Black Moai and Solomon Grundy Peanut mug as well.

Good day for tiki for me. :)

Aloha!

So in addition to the Diamond Head mug (black triangle) I've also added the Tapa Punch and recently the Hukilau to the collection. These two seem to have been manufactured locally and just have "Hilton Hawaiian Village Ceramics" inscribed on the bottom

Next is the "Hawaiian Eye" bowl. Has anyone seen this one?

Aloha,
:tiki:

Great set royale...ma halo for sharing!

J

On 2003-12-15 23:57, keigs20 wrote:
Hey thanks for the info and pics. Sounds like they are hard to come by. Finally I got a rare mug. Thanks to my dad. I have been searching for tiki stuff and Witco for a few years in thrift shops. I have found maybe 20 mugs none rare and 5 witco pieces. My dad just started looking for these items a few months ago and has already found about 15 mugs and six Witco pieces. Must pay to have years of thift store shopping under your belt. Glad he gives me his finds although I think he is starting to like the Witco stuff more and more.

Hi Guys, Hinton Blaisdell is my uncle and he hand built every piece of Totem Pottery. He was in business from the 1950s through the late 80s. The Tiki Mugs came in two colors, beige and mat black. He made the triangle mugs shown above and also a gorilla Tiki mug. They also came in two sizes 5 & 7 inch tall. They were sold at Hawaiian Village and maybe another Hotel or two. Uncle Hinton had a tiny studio on Beach Drive (at Blaisdell road) in Port Orchard, WA. Believe me, he never got rich being a potter but enjoyed life and outlived his brothers and sisters. He also sold the northwest indian style totem pottery. It was sold mostly at Blake Island's Tillicum Village, Hurricane Ridge and I think the maybe the Olympic Hotel in Seattle.

Rest Assured this is not cheap tourist crap. Every piece was hand made by my uncle, he never had a helper other than his wife Eujeane who helped with the art work/design of the pottery. Also you can be sure that the design used real Tikis, NW indian totems etc. Bear, beaver, moon etc.

Hi Guys, Hinton Blaisdell is my uncle and he hand built every piece of Totem Pottery. He was in business from the 1950s through the late 80s. The Tiki Mugs came in two colors, beige and mat black. He made the triangle mugs shown above and also a gorilla Tiki mug. They also came in two sizes 5 & 7 inch tall. They were sold at Hawaiian Village and maybe another Hotel or two. Uncle Hinton had a tiny studio on Beach Drive (at Blaisdell road) in Port Orchard, WA. Believe me, he never got rich being a potter but enjoyed life and outlived his brothers and sisters. He also sold the northwest indian style totem pottery. It was sold mostly at Blake Island's Tillicum Village, Hurricane Ridge and I think the maybe the Olympic Hotel in Seattle.

Rest Assured this is not cheap tourist crap. Every piece was hand made by my uncle, he never had a helper other than his wife Eujeane who helped with the art work/design of the pottery. Also you can be sure that the design used real Tikis, NW indian totems etc. Bear, beaver, moon etc.

Welcome aboard and great info!! Any chance you have pictures or samples of some of your Uncles other pieces?
Aloha,

K

In September 2007, Tiki Royale asked:

Next is the "Hawaiian Eye" bowl. Has anyone seen this one?

I don't know for sure if this is the Hawaiian Eye bowl, as it's only stamped "Made in Japan" on the bottom and isn't marked Hilton Hawaiian Village. But it sure looks like the mug on the drink menu. It's about 5 inches across, and 3 inches deep.

K

Here are mine dust and all. Two say Hawaiian Village. The black one says Totem Pottery

Now all you guys need is this shirt!:

...and you can wear that and drink from those mugs while watching "Hawaiian Eye"!

Unfortunately I don't own it, I photographed it for my next book, but I sure would like to use that menu, and some of those mugs for it, too!

K

Ah, the mysterious Terra Ceramics Hawaii - I should have guessed that was the maker of the Hawaiian Eye mug. Mahalo for the heads up, Keigs20!

Here's a different version of the Hukilau mug, also from Terra Ceramics:

And what a fantastic shirt - thanks Bigbro.

Does anyone have the pineapple tray from the Pine Royal? That might be hard to recognize, unless it's Terra Ceramics too.

Nice stuff Koolau, Keigs and BigBro... Those are some great pieces and this has become a pretty interesting thread.
Aloha,

I agree. I need that shirt.

I know that Mrs. Bongofury has one of the dresses. I think I grabbed these pics from an eBay auction a while back:

LT

Were the shirt and dress employee uniforms or gift shop items?

Pages: 1 26 replies