Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Whaddaya call those Big Round Wicker Chairs?

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

Sorry to bother you all with this dumb question, but... What do you call the Wicker Chairs with the Round Backs? You know... Very Popular back in the 70s. They have a specific name, though. A name that is not, like, Round Back Wicker Chairs...

S

Peacock Chair?

I found this:
The wicker & rattan peacock fan-back chair, first brought from China to America by clipper ships in the 18th century.

[ Edited by: suzywong on 2003-11-30 07:31 ]

That chair in furniture lingo is officially known as a Papa San Chair.

BK...I thought the papa san was the big round rattan chair that has the big round cushion which sets on small rattan base???

No, every one of the big round back wicker chairs we've ever sold we called a Papa San, though I know the one of which you speak...looks like a giant cross between a Bertioa and a cereal bowl.

DZ

"Peacock chair" is what I've heard the most, but I've heard them referred to as "cobra-back" chairs as well.

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2003-11-30 20:03 ]

Right about those round "cereal bowl" chairs, My friends and I used to take them off the seat stand then somebody would sit inside it and somebody else would spin you around like a tea cup ride.

S

I always called that chair (yup, I have one...) 70's senior picture chair...

BK,
Would this be considered a Papa San?

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-12-01 10:59 ]

A

Peacock or Princess Chair (From the Holden Westland Collection)

Papasan Chair

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 11:46 AM

they're called King or Queen fan chairs made in the Pie(short for P.I or Philippines). Usually the Queen has no arm rest and the King has the arm rest as the wun Braddah Al is sitting in. The papa san is the wun right under Al.

How about just Big Round Wicker Chair?

I call mine "Bruce." We had one that came to more of point, kinda shaped like a moorish arch, I think we were told that one was a Cobra Backed chair.

The Huey Newton chair?

On 2003-12-01 11:46, GECKO wrote:
they're called King or Queen fan chairs made in the Pie(short for P.I or Philippines).

I always call them queen or peacock chairs. I always thought a king chair was a recliner with a tv remote control on the arm rest. Now I have the facts.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-12-01 15:02 ]

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 3:12 PM

KG sed,
"I always call them queen or peacock chairs. I always thought a king chair was a recliner with a tv remote control on the arm rest"

Funny KG! you forgot the back massage thing on the King chair with the automatic MaiTai maker button. I'm no king but I'll take one if Chiki can make one to go with that awesome tiki desk.

On 2003-12-01 15:12, GECKO wrote:
I'm no king

WHAT?????????
You are the uncontested King O' Swoon!!!!

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 4:23 PM

shhhh! dats jus between me and you pj!

although I can't wait to see my wahines on da mainland again! you're all beautiful! makes da savage beast(as Sven calls us) in me go....BOING!

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 4:46 PM

sorry Traitor Vic,

back to the chair. has anyone ever purchased one of these out of there local goodwill? if so, how much do they go for if you don't mind posting? I see them here for $70 which pisses me off! but they are becoming popular once again.

if you have a old beat up papasan chair like the wun braddah Al has posted, DON'T THROW IT AWAY!! take the bottom rattan swivel peice apart and insert a shelf into the middle of the circle and you will have a beautiful round rattan shelf that you see at Aloha Cruz's shop for $350. I'll post a pic of one made out of the bottom when i get a chance ya.

Going back to papasans, where would be a good source to get new cushions for these things? I saw a few and they are for the most part in the $70 range. Sheesh! Is there a place for better prices?

Gecko,
I paid $50 for two chairs and two small tables. That was a year or so ago.
KG

A

Paranoid123,
Have you checked Cost Plus World Market for the papasan chair cushions? I know they sell aloha print ones there, but I never checked the price. I just recovered our old papasan cushion the other day (it was leopard)and it looks really nice. I used a brown, black & white tapa print barkcloth. It really looks so much more polynesian with the tapa print and it was really pretty easy. I'd post a pic, but Al wants a new digital camera for Christmas, and we are without until Santa delivers. Aloha, Shell in the Pacific

I saw that Garden Ridge had papasan chairs on sale for $65 or so. They might have cusions. I picked up the base to one at a thrift store, seeing that they either broke or sold the "cup". It was there the day before. Oh well, now I have a new round ratan shelf.

I found a smaller scale Peacock Chair today at a thrift store. It's in excellent condition and they're asking $50. I've been looking for one for a while, but the price seems a bit stiff (considering I found my hanging rattan chair for $4.50)

What would you see as a fair price?

-Z

Right now there are three Peacock chairs at my favorite lunchtime tiki hunt spot, Value Village. They range between $30 and $70CDN depending on the size. Two are little ones, perfect for the up and coming tiki generation. They could be in better shape, although I haven't had a really close look. I'd pay up to $50 US for a big one in good condition. If I had the space that is.

Just picked one of these up at the local antique store... was priced $30, then marked down to $20... then the store was having a sale so they took an additional 20% off... Got it for $16...

The armrests travel down to the base for support and need fixing... also the reed work on the bottom needs work... I went out and bought seagrass yesterday and 40 feet of cane... a total of $14, so almost the cost of the chair to repair it... but still coming in cheaper than what you ladies and gents are reporting for prices... I'll try and post pics...

Got this beauty picked out for the future home bar:

This was one of the nicest specimens I've seen in any thrift store. I think it was worth the $60 I paid.

Now I may be going out on a limb here, but I think of the peacock chair as one of the unsung mainstays of the tiki bar. It seems all the classic tiki restaurants of ages past had a few of these chairs kickin' aroun'.

For me, at least, it's almost as essential as a pufferfish lamp or tapa cloth. How do you feel about that? Discuss!

G

I totally agree. It adds a touch of elegance to a tiki bar. That's a beaut' you found. Nice find!

yes, I'd say it's a quintessential tiki bar item. great find!

TM

I call 'em cheesy.

S

We got 2 recently for $40 I think in an antique type store. Looked for cushions forever. Large round ones are hard to find, and cheap and the right look, even harder. Finally found some on sale for $8. It's always a quest!

What I want to know is why do I see them all the time that are 6 inches to a foot tall? When was the mini papa san chair rage? What did people do with them?

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-08-24 09:28 ]

On 2006-08-24 09:27, Swanky wrote:
What I want to know is why do I see them all the time that are 6 inches to a foot tall? When was the mini papa san chair rage? What did people do with them?

Those are to attract the Menehune, of course.

S

On 2006-08-24 09:48, Tikiwahine wrote:

Those are to attract the Menehune, of course.

That makes sense. I'll have to get a few to put out in the gardens then!

There are pics of people sittin' in those chairs at bars in "The Book Of Tiki"

I have about 4 of these.. if anyone is interested, I can always get more. They range from 15-45 at goodwill to antique stores... its good if you can hook'em up with the matchin' shelving units... Holla.

HOK

The ones I've seen at the swapmeet have little hangers at the top and are used to hold potted plants :tiki:Aloha

I used to think the peacock or queen chair was ugly, but looking at old images of tiki restaurants from postcards and images like the one below, I now find them quite sexy and sophisticated.

Sabu

!OH My LaNDS! still on about the most uncomfy tackiest chair in the world! Wait!, this would look great in my bedroom where that UGLY Lazy Boy was..Uummm just a thought.

On 2006-09-18 10:32, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I used to think the peacock or queen chair was ugly, but looking at old images of tiki restaurants from postcards and images like the one below, I now find them quite sexy and sophisticated.

Sabu

heehee ...no Sabu, I think you just find her sexy & sophisticated. :P

Hah. This is true. She would probably make a folding metal chair look sophisticated and sexy.

Sabu

M

Anyone have a line on a peacock chair?
Are they still being made?

You can call it a Peacock chair, a Queen chair or a Princess chair if you like but I will always call it a 7-Up Guy chair.

I just bought a peacock chair today! I've been looking for a cheap one forever...Got two dining size ones at a thrift store, and found a full size chair at another store 5 minutes later! I't not even in my bar, but it is awesome.

I call them Morticia Addams chairs.

Forgot to mention....

"Crisp and cleeeen, AH AH AHAHAHAHAHAhhhhhh!" :)

The chairs do pop up now and then at the thrift stores. I have probably seen 10 or so in the last two years.

I have a question for the 'Ohana re. peacock chairs...

I'd love to find one of these babies for "Paradise Cove" (my home lounge):

This one was picked by a Florida TCer for an incredible $25.00 and is EXACTLY the size and style I'm looking for. Or something close to it, anyway.

I live in L.A. and I've looked around for a while, but no luck. That is, until I spotted a recent posting on Craig's List. The only problem was the chair turned out to be GINORMOUS, with a whopping width of 51"!

So, not only will that NOT fit in my little Suzuki hatch-back (it's actually wider than my CAR!), but it won't fit in the limited space of my lounge either.

What I really need, therefore, is a peacock chair with a maximum width of no more than 30" inches or so.

Any ideas out there re. where I might specifically look for such an item here in the L.A. area for a reasonable price (i.e., no more than $125.00 or so)? For instance, do you know of any big thrift stores that specialize in furniture?

There IS a Florida-based company I came across called Rattan Shack which charges about what I want to spend for the chair itself, then an extra $25.00 for a cushion with custom fabric of my choice (all very reasonable), and just an additional $50.00 for shipping. So, about $200.00 for everything, AND the dimensions are also just about perfect for the limited space of my lounge.

BUT, naturally, if I could find a similar chair -- USED -- for a price a bit closer to the $25.00 paid by that lucky TCer, I'd be a happy camper indeed!

And, finally, if any of you L.A. area based TCers happen to have one of those (not gigantic) chairs lying around which you'd like to get rid of, PLEASE let me know!

Cheers and Mahalos! :drink: :tiki:

Thanks to a great tip from Mr. Noname, I managed to snag this beauty for my Paradise Cove Tiki Lounge at a Salvation Army while I was in San Diego for Oasis!

And guess how much I paid???

Would you believe 13 BUCKS?! (It was on SALE that morning for HALF OFF!)

Still not QUITE as ornate as the one that TCer in Florida managed to pick up for 25 smackers, but, hey -- it's nice ENOUGH!

I guess THIS time "13" was my LUCKY number, eh?

Thanks again, Eric!

Cheers & Mahalo :drink: :tiki:

[ Edited by: KreepyTiki 2008-08-25 01:44 ]

Looks good in your Tiki Room! The Heather Watts painting and everything else ties together perfectly.

Pages: 1 2 64 replies