Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

MD/DC/VA Tiki Regalia - Oct. 12th

Pages: 1 34 replies

Those of us in the mid-Atlantic region need to get together at either Politiki in DC, Honolulu in Alexandria VA, or any other place that anyone knows about! Maybe we could even take a gander at the Moai at the Smithsonian before or after! I know it pales in comparison to West Coast tiki crawls or the Hukilau in Atlanta but it would probably be pretty cool to get together with a bunch of other like minded people from this area.

Johntiki
:drink:

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2002-08-21 17:04 ]

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2002-10-07 23:41 ]

J

Or maybe not....

:)

Perhaps posting this in the main forum might get it more exposure... just put a link over to his thread.

~Hanford

T

responded to the main

S
Sabina posted on Thu, Aug 8, 2002 7:59 PM

Many thanks for stepping forward to suggest a Tiki outing where no Tiki outing has been before, Johntiki!

I and my partner would definitely be up for an evening of Tiki and fine company! It would be good to meet other national capital area Tiki-philes.

From where I'm sitting a few things might help us out at this point- some basic knowledge of Tiki locations (Politiki and/or Honolulu both sound good to me!), hours, and parking situations. It would also be good to know how crowded these places get on weekends, or if folks are close enough in that they'd rather do a weeknight?

Followed by perhaps setting a date, possibly with at least a little time between then and now, which would help bring other area folk out of the woodwork/get it on their calendars.

So what do you think?

J

Sabina - thanks for your suggestions - I am thinking of a date in September/October - I will look at my calendar and set a date once I find some available time! As for inside knowledge on the Politiki and Honolulu - we will have to enlist the help of those who live a little closer - I am like an hour and a half away. I have been to the Politiki once - never been to Honolulu. Any suggestions or inside knowledge anyone?

S

johntiki, i am in salisbury, maryland, on the eastern shore :) it would be fun to meet everybody!!! i don't think we have any tiki themed restuarants or bars over this way. :( it would be fun to spend the weekend up in the d.c. area. and i love the smithsonian!

J

I'm announcing a date for the gathering at Honolulu in Arlington VA - Saturday October 12th...

Let me know...

I

Count me in for the Oct 12 gathering. I'll be returning from a vacation that week, so the gathering will be a nice welcome home.

Vern

T

Sounds good to me

MC

I had fun at Politiki when I had a sibling get-together there a couple of years back.

Hey - just because we're planning on going to Honolulu doesn't mean we can't make a stop at Politiki - we can buy them out of their presidential tiki mugs...

I'm going to call Honolulu this week and see if I need to make reservations for a group - so I need to start getting a head count...

I would't mind stopping over at Politiki. Never been there. I'll get a babysitter, so 2 for me.

Maybe we could look into getting a small bus so we don't have to drive

Carroll

The bus would be cool but, if I can convince my wife to go we might have a designated driver (she's pregnant) but, she has expressed no desire to go because she can't drink...kinda catch-22. I'll look into the bus idea but it might cut down on the cash for drinks and we might be sober enough to drive...another catch-22...

I read on the tiki bar review page about Honolulu being close to the Metro - that might be a good idea but I know the Metro stops running pretty early...anyone have the inside info.?

Just Cool!!

JohnTiki

Greetings to all from The Pi Yi Lenai in luxurious Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2002-08-27 11:11 ]

S

Sorry to be so late hopping in on all this- first of all, Mike (my fiancé) and I will be able to make it that weekend. So that's two more for the count :)

Secondly, I believe Honolulu closes down at 11pm on Saturdays, and I'd definitely recommend seeing if they take reservations. Also I don't know the hours on Politiki, as I've never been there, but I've heard it can get crowded on weekends, so we ought to look into that too.

As for getting around on metro-

I've included some details and schedules I was able to find online

If folks are serious about using metro- someone should double check this

Metro system map- http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

As for fares, we'd have to check station to station, weekends are non-peak hours. The easiest answer can be the "Metrorail $5 One-Day Pass the web page says it's available from the farecard machines in all stations.

HONOLULU by metro

The metro system trip guide is showing Huntington Ave. Station (end of the yellow line) as the closest station. from there, you walk .5 mile NW to Honolulu (5634 Telegraph Road)

hours of operation- The station guide for Huntington http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/Stations/station.cfm?station=50 says last train out is 1:34 am so that would certainly work. Trains would be running about every 20 minutes around 11pm according to the weekend ride guide PDF- (see Sat yellow line leaving Huntington- http://www.wmata.com/timetables/rail/rail_weekend.pdf)

POLITIKI

This is a bit more complicated. The metro ride guide wants to give all kinds of bus directions which doesn't make sense considering you have the Eastern Market station at the southeast corner Penn. Ave. & 7th St. SE.

We're pretty sure it's gotta be walking distance to Capital South or Eastern Market (orange and blue lines) I'm not sure which is closer- we'll have to dig out some maps and take a look at that. It's just a few blocks up behind the capital (between 3rd and 4th- at 319 Pennsylvania Ave. SE) When checking this make sure you're looking at SOUTH EAST, on Pennsylvania Ave. DC is notorious for loosing non-locals between the SE, NE, SW, and NWs.

At worst case scenario, using Eastern Market metro (SE corner Penn. Ave. & 7th St. SE), last train out on a Sat night would still be after one AM depending on which direction you were going (Last train departs: Addison Road/New Carrollton-2:17 a.m. Franconia-Springfield/Vienna-Fairfax-1:53 p.m.) Again, see the weekend ride guide PDF- http://www.wmata.com/timetables/rail/rail_weekend.pdf Eastern Market or Capital South would be on the orange and blue lines between L'Enfant Plaza and Stadium Armory stops (specific times not listed, assumedly since the stations in between are so close together.)

See- http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/Stations/station.cfm?station=60 Keep in mind that that's orange and blue lines, so if you need to transfer to the another line, you'll need to calculate that in too!

If people are coming in from out of town, or won't be up to driving should be also be thinking about hotels? This could get very complicated, very quickly!

Sabina,

You're telling me it can get complicated fast! Wow - thanks for the in-depth research on the mass transit! I will get myself in gear and start doing in depth research on the locales this week - arrange for reservations with Honolulu and call Politiki and see what their deal is with hours and all...hotels are another thing all together...

I'll keep everyone informed!

THOSE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING PLEASE E-MAIL ME YOUR HEADCOUNT AND WE CAN BEGIN COMMUNICATING THE DETAIL VIA E-MAIL...

N

Hey all,
As a voice from Delaware, I was wondering how the plans for this shin-digg was going? Sounds like a blast. And seeing how the closest thing we have to a tiki bar around here is the chain Kahunaville, we'd love to attend.
Thanks,
Ken and Mercy

The upcoming MD/DC/VA Tiki Regalia is set for October 12th at Honolulu in Arlington at 8PM...If anyone else wants to join in, contact me or Honolulu directly to add on to the reservation...

J

Tomorrow - Saturday October 12th - Honolulu (5634 Telegraph Rd. Alexandria, VA) 8PM

IMPORTANT!!

Would anyone be more comfortable about postponing the gathering in light of recent events in the Northern VA area?????Let me know ASAP!!!

Just Cool!!

JohnTiki

Greetings to all from The Pi Yi Lenai in luxurious Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: Johntiki on 2002-10-11 19:36 ]

S

I'm going offine pretty much as of now, but Mike and I are planning on being there tonight at 8. If other folks ditch/postpone that's perfectly fine, we can always get together another time.

T

Just wanted to say that Joanna and I had a great time with all of you. Vern, again, nice pictures. John nice to see you again. Chris and Elizabeth we enjoyed talking with both of you. Thanks for helping out with the ID situation. Sabina, sorry you and Mike had to leave. I understand we left pretty song after you did. Chris didn't get your TC screen name.

Oh and before I forget. Great job John.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2002-10-13 01:48 ]

Just like to say that Janet and I had a great time with great People, Food, and Drink. A special Thanks goes out to JohnTiki for planing this event for us. We will all have to do this again soon.

:D :drink: Carroll

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2002-10-13 12:50 ]

Elizabeth and I had a great time, and really enjoyed meeting everyone. Chris, thank you for the drinks at Politiki. Thanks to John for coordinating the evening - stellar job.

J

Thanks to everyone for coming out it was great to meet you all and I had a blast! I appreciate all the kind remarks and assure everyone that we will get together again soon!

I

Finally getting time to reply ...

Yes, the Honolulu / Poli-tiki event was definitely much fun and a success - thanks to John for organizing the event, and everyone else for making an appearance. Life is so much better now that I am assured that there are fellow tiki appreciators nearby, and it will be nice to associate faces with tiki usernames.

As for a potential followup ..... D.C.'s Arena Stage is presenting 'South Pacific' from December 6 through February 2.

Vern

D

Any Pictures for those who missed out on the festivities?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-10-16 19:45 ]

'South Pacific' you say this could be the start of something FUN to do. Dinner and a show. Who is up for this

:music: :drink:

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2002-10-16 20:02 ]

The South Pacific event sounds like fun - I'd be up for it hopefully my wife can join in this time...As for pictures of the event -I only remember Chris "Turbogod" having a camera and I took a pic of him and his wife at the Honolulu but I don't recall any other pictures being taken...

Elizabeth and I are up for a "South Pacific" extravaganza.

T

We only took a couple of pics. Could've gone nuts in politiki, but didn't. Got to get the film developed.

S

Finally, everything has calmed down, and I find time to chime in and catch up on some TC reading!

Mike and I wanted to thank all of you Tikiphiles- and especially Johntiki, for such a lovely evening! We had a great time!

We may be smaller than the west coast contingent- but somehow I don't think they have to brave snipers for Mai Tais! Guess that just makes us a 'special' bunch.

I'm sorry we ended up ducking out after such a brief appearance at Politiki- our friend from out of town had had a VERY long day at the conference and was tired. We'll have to go back another time to get more of a feel for the place. The music was ALL WRONG, but the wonderful little room/alcove we all curled up in was pretty nifty- perfect for a quieter and more intimate discussion. Oh well, another time I suppose.

It was so good to get the inside scoop on where to find TikiFarm mugs in Baltimore, or what not to miss on our next Vegas trip, and Vern's pix of his home/bar were downright inspiring!

Which leads to when are we going to do this again? South Pacific you say? If dates allow, we're sooo there!

Vern has a post about the South Pafic get together.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1387&forum=4&0

:music: :drink: :music:

T

Got some pics from the event developed. Here are a few of us at the Honolulu

Me (TURBOgod)& my wife Joanna.

Chris (SuburbanHipster) & his wife Elizabeth.

Carroll (PoweroftheTiki) & his "might as well be wife" Janet.

What's this wife stuff. We have only been together 7 years

Pages: 1 34 replies