Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Quality Time with Humu² in So Cal: Sat Nov. 8 -- Purple Orchid?

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

H

If all goes well for me, I should be touching down in Redondo Beach sometime on Wednesday November 5 (I'll be staying with the very gracious good Doctor Z until I get a place of my own, thanks doc!). I'll likely be pooped that night, but does anyone want to give me a good proper initiation later in the week? I'm up for anything, I'm eager to soak up as much of the local tiki as possible. Even if it's just a couple of folks meeting me at the nearby Hale Hawaii, that'd be fine by me. Thought I'd at least get the word out that I'M ON MY WAY!

New! Improved! Update! The Ben's/Bong's/Li's/Bowling thing was too much -- we're backing off and just having a relaxed get together somewhere. Purple Orchid?

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-11-06 14:42 ]

We all await your arrival to inscribe your name on the official Hoiti Toiti roster!

Maybe we should start off your whirlwind initiation with breakfast at the King's Hawaiian Bakery in Torrance?

The Spectacular East Indies Room will be slightly torn apart due to expansion plans, but is always open for entertaining.....

:tiki:

I'd be up for something that weekend. Either LA way or OC way ala Bong's Tiki Hut, Sam's, Royal Hawaiian etc...

When to Vegas?

Hey, HH - good to hear that you are finally nearing your approach to the Mutha Ship. It just occurred to me that we haven't gone bowling in a while...

Welcome to Cahleefornyah Humuhumu! Right now this is the only way I can welcome you but we'll see you again at another event and then you'll be getting a big hug.

Tina, Tina, Floratina,

I like the bowling thing. We could do a pre-bowling drink, food, live entertainment at my Tiki Hut then head over to Fountain Valley Bowl (since Kona Lanes passed away R.I.P.)

Whatdaya think?

I was wondering where we should bowl - you have one in mind and this is good. It's not as if we need a tiki bowling alley since none exist anyway. The Kona Lanes wasn't tiki anymore either.

Anyway, this sounds like a great idea! Do we start a new "Bowling with Humu Humu" thread now?

Bowling sounds good to me! My ball & shirt will be in storage, tho. :(

Don't worry about starting a new thread, I'll modify the title to this one when I get back from a meeting (ah, work intrudes...).

Humu x 2,

Forget that job! You're on the way out anyway. Have fun during your last few days there.

Drink before work and during work (but not after work, no, no, no). Something fun to do is to start borrowing money off your co-workers telling them you'll pay 'em back about the middle of November.

DZ

There's a really big bowling alley (40 lanes!!) in Torrance called The Gable House, that happens to be just around the corner from the Eli Kai, an inrecredible tiki apartment complex, and the Kona Kai, which is less spectacular, but still nice. Can you say 'Tiki Field Trip'?? (this thread used to have pix, but i don't think the links are active anymore: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=892&forum=1). I think they have open bowling during the evening, but I haven't been there in a while so I'm not sure They do, however, a special on Saturday nights called "Rock n' Bowl": midnight to 3am, all the games you can bowl for one price. Their bar also has cheap drinks!

Would this place work?

Hey now, lets not forget about Java Lanes in Long Beach, often overlooked by the SoCal Tiki crowd....! The way things have been going, there's no telling when this great example of PolyPop architecture will be gone forever.

H

Forget that job! You're on the way out anyway. Have fun during your last few days there.

Man, I have been slacking so incredibly bad this summer. Haven't you noticed my daytime posts have had a serious uptick? I justify it to myself by thinking that I'm doing my replacement a favor by making her take the reins while I'm still here to lend a hand. Yeah, that's it....

So, is Saturday a good day for people? Afternoon or evening?

Doc, I like your idea. But suddenly, up comes Pup with a suggestion that is hard to ignore. An bowling alley with a PolyPop exterior? One still exists? It is no doubt endangered as you say. How can we pass this up?

Saturday Nov 8th works for me, but in the evening. Me, Spike and the rest of the Smokin' Menehunes are gonna be in the studio during the day from about 10:00am to 4:00 pm, working on our studio tans!

Fountain Valley Bowl is nice and modern, but there's a place in Anaheim called LinBrook Bowl that's got that funky early 60's feel to it (I should know, I felt it).

We, in theory, could still down some drinks at my hut as it's only about a 30 minute drive from HB to the home of Disneyland.

"Eli Kai"

Hey Doc-Z,

I think you spelled that wrong. According to Sven and James, it's Ely !!! Arrrrrrrrrrrr!!

DZ

Hmmmm... They wouldn't happen to be the same ones who say it's "Bamboo Bens" would they??

(I tell ya, the Rev can't get NO peace!)

Shall we have a vote? My main criteria is atmosphere and it sounds like Java (Polynesian exterior) and LinBrook (mid-century mod interior) are the most attractive to me. I think Java is the closest to Bong's, no?

Tina, Tina, Floratina,

Yeah, let's do Java then. It is closest and it is Polynesian.

Some of their old ads say:

"Every Friday and Saturday Night from 10pm-1am Rock and Bowl to Live Bands as well as experiencing our Cosmic Light Show all for only $3.25 a game."

Is this still going on?

Do we coordinate a start time to finish before 10pm or should we actually start at 10pm?

Maybe Bongs earlier in evening, then Li's Chinese, then off to Java Lanes? Maybe Ben will have a special sale that day for TC'ers? Maybe we can fly to Hawaii!!(Ha, ok, I'm getting off the mark). Just a suggestion, so whatever you guys plan, I will go with it.

Just my 2 bowling balls worth (Humuhumu took my 2 coconuts on an earlier post and I have yet to get them back).

I'd suggest that whoever wants to go start posting something to that effect. Maybe a Long Beach TC'r can check out Java Lanes, and I'll handle Bong's Tiki Hut and Li's reservations.

Just note if you're: meeting at Java Lanes only, stopping by Bamboo Ben's Shop, Stopping by Bong's Tiki Hut, Li's or any combination therein.

H

I've started the roll call on the first post. I'm in for Ben's, Bong's, Li's & Bowling. Everyone give a shout & I'll add you.

Taking a stab at the timing: Bong's busy 'til 4, and we'll probably want to start eating by maybe 6:30 or so; Bong, should we meet at your place at 5ish? Ben, should we swing by your shop before that & then parade over to Bong's?

Yeah, my place around 5:00; Li's (if you all want to go) around 6:30. They've remodeled the interior of Li's, It's OK I guess. But most everything is still intact,except the aquariums. Oh well...

I'll cruise by Java Lanes tomorrow and get the scoop on Sat nites there, maybe get a a couple preview photos too...

TraderP,

Can you add a couple of lanes to the West Indies room?

"They've remodeled the interior of Li's, It's OK I guess."

Bong- You'll be stoked on the re-model. Half of the place is "all bar now!" and is packed all the time!

"Newmu-Humu" (ha! Humu's new Hoiti name name!!?) and the rest of the Hoiti's, if Ya'll wanna come by the store, you's got to contact "Mrs. Boo". It's her store! She handles it (I just build the stuff). I also heard that the store now closes (since the time change, back to the original hours) at Sunset. So, I suggest you all pop by first and for those of you who have not signed the pole, we're running out of room (Can't get Bamboo much bigger than 10" in diam.).

(too bad you's all wern't in Frisco. They got a Shag-ish bowling alley. Ask C'Al and Ape about that one. It's day glow!)

I stopped by Java Lanes today, and they have nothing out of the ordinary going for Saturday night.... ever since the city revoked their entertainment license, they can't even play recorded music there! There's been an ongoing political battle regarding the bowling alley for the past 3 yrs... the city wants to tear it down for a school district vehicle storage yard..!

So, other than the most awesome cantilever A-frame entry & the googie bowling sign (you can see it in the distance in the pic, directly under the A-frame), there's nothing too exciting about the place any more. Even their Java Lounge, one of Long Beach's best band venues, is reduced to karaoke, that has to cease by 9pm.

So, if you're up for it, its good for bowling and gawking at the entry, else if ya want the excitement of Rock-n-Bowl or something like that, we better plan on some place else.

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2003-10-28 20:03 ]

Bowling options with Rock-n-Bowl/Cosmic Bowl, reasonably close to Bong's pad:

Fountain Bowl
Fountain Valley
Cosmic Bowl on Sat. nites.... 11pm-2am... $15/person + $4 shoe rental... nice bowling alley with 60 lanes

Westminster Lanes
Westminster
Rock-n-Bowl on Sat. nites.... 10pm-2am... $10.75/person + $2.75 shoe rental... classic 60s bowling alley, 40 lanes, don't know if their cool cheezy cocktail lounge is still there though....

Rossmoor Bowl
Seal Beach
Rock-n-Bowl on Sat nites.... 9:30pm-2am... $29.99/lane 1hr, $49.99/lane 2hrs, $54.99/lane 3hrs, $64.99/lane all 4 hours... another classic 60s bowling alley, 40 lanes, and conveniently located next to the Parasol restaurant, a real treat if you've never been....

TraderP,

Good scouting. Rossmore Bowl sounds cool. Can you see about reservations and I'll take care of Bong's and Li's.

Doesn't seem to be much interest yet though. We'll see what develops.

I just want to know if Bong is going?
Then I will tell you if I am going.

Baxdog,

I should let you know that any tiki items made for you by Ben, left in my garage over 30 days, become property of Bong!

Damn, sounds fun, but all those bowling locations are so far away from me. I either need to move or need a private jet.

Hum....I'm all for bombarding Doctor Z's pad and celebrating the arrival of Humuhumu to her new Hoiti Toiti stomping grounds by drinking up all leftover booze from the Castaway Lounge Party.

"The Castaway Lounge Revisited featuring special guest Humuhumu". Well, it's just an idea.

Have fun bowling ya'll!

Bongo, if you can't smoke it you can't keep it.
Can you bring it to the bowling alley?
We can STRIKE a deal if you can SPARE the time.
You could meet me in the ALLEY.
Can I PIN you down to a time.
Please don't drop my tiki in the GUTTER.

I should let you know that any tiki items made for you by Ben, left in my garage over 30 days, become property of Bong!

That's a good way to wake the bear from hibernation!!

Humuhumu, you're making the right decision!I'm looking around for a new job right now myself. So far I've applied for a coupla Federal jobs in Hawaii (the only other place my wife Sally will live besides SoCal.). I'd like to make it to the bowling party (I'm like the Dude in Big Lebowskie(sp) when I'm "on") but work will probably have its way with me...AGAIN! If we don't make it have fun, and hope to see you soon. If you get down San Diego way, we'll share a kava bowl.

So far it looks like there are 8 people going. Please post if you are planning on participating so we know how many lanes to get!

T

Well Humu times 2-mu,

Looks like the Hoity's gots other things going on. Like last time you'se were in town, I wanted to put something together. Unfortunately, it seems, if I don't put the whole thing together it doesn't happen...

There's alway the OC Tiki Crawl tentatively planned sometime near February or March.

T

Well, the weather is supposed to be really crappy over the weekend, so I don't think having a multi-stop nite is the thing to do. I couldn't chance reserving lanes without a decent headcount, as they kinda want money for it.... a night at Sam's or Purple Orchid maybe then?

There are already 9 people (add Vintage Girl) who were going bowling. We don't have to have 20 people in order to go, do we? We don't have to do anything but bowl and maybe a nosh nearby afterwards. If that concept doesn't grab ya,

the Purple Orchid sounds lovely...

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-11-06 10:55 ]

H

Yeah, I'd really rather do a smaller, more intimate event anyhow, I'm kinda reeling from a couple weeks of hecticness. Doctor Z & I want to do a bigger event at his house once I'm settled (and hopefully, employed!), in the meantime, anyone who wants to come hang with me for a bit on Saturday just give a holler. Purple Orchid works for me.

T

Humu,

The 'Redondo Beach' in your profile looks like a good fit.

S

Awwww, dagnabit.
I don't git to go!
Humu, I'm glad I got to see ya one last time
before ya left. I shoulda jumped in the yer trunk and went with ya. Been having to scrape ice off the windshield for the last 3 mornings................... argh. ( ice is good, IN A MAI TAI, not on the car.)
ColdPea

[ Edited by: sweetpea on 2003-11-06 17:23 ]

F

Bong are you saying that we aren't having a crawl in December after all? That's news!

S

Humu,

Welcome to So Cal. You made the right choice! Would love to spend QT with you and the rest of the HT's but alas, we will be out of town again.

Perhaps we'll catch up later in November.

We at the Purple Orchid would be delighted to see all TCers on Saturday, Nov. 8.

We have a birthday party in the bar that night and there will be Karaoke earlier in the evening followed by revelry and endless amusements. Any and everyone welcome.

Somebody email me if you are coming .

Dave

H

Bong: I agree the Redondo Beach is an improvement over Seattle, but I'm still aiming for Pasadena!

Pea: yugh. On the morning I set out for points south, there was ice on my windshield. When I was in Portland, TikiMaxton's lovely wife pointed out that it could very well have been the last time I had to deal with the whole ice-on-the-windshield issue. That was nice. Yesterday I went for a walk in the neighborhood, and realized I should have left my jacket at home. That was also nice. Then, the tiki gods shone a light on a place I'm sure I will be visiting again and again... a place called FATBURGER! I scarfed a very tasty bacon cheeseburger and fat fries yesterday. Life is good.

So, yeah, let's do this: anyone who wants to play with me either tomorrow or over the next few days/weeks, just drop me an email or call my cell at (206) 349-1362. You know me, I'm always up for something.

Specifically for tomorrow, what time should I show up at the Purple Orchid?

p.s. - I brought my bowling shirt down with me in the car, so while my bowling ball is sitting in a crate somewhere, I am prepared on the shirt front for any future bowling expeditions.

I'll check in on saturday and se what the final destination is. I'll meet you guys bowling or at the Purple Orchid. I might just go earlier on to Copro Nason gallerry to catch the closing of a show I want to see before it's gone but I'll catch up with you guys after that.

O

hey humu, if you cut through the valley on your way to tiki ti, there are two fatburgers to hit, one on ventura across from universal, and one in burbank. i highly reccomend the turkey burger with cheese and a fried egg. also, when you go to tiki ti, there are two places to eat that are a must. before tiki ti, the legendary jays jay burgers, and after in the wee hours of the morning, el gran burrito. i have never been sober when i have entered el gran, but i swear the home style mexican grub is excellent.

Pages: 1 2 61 replies