Name:The Hidden Idol
Type:bar
Street:2240 Clay Street, U100
City:Denver
State:CO
Zip:80211
Phone:

Description:
Hidden Idol opened in April 2017 as a tiki “overlay” on a previous speakeasy-style bar called Beetle Bar. It was located in the small space upstairs from Southside Bar on East Colfax. The original location closed on June 16, 2019, and five days later, Hidden Idol reopened on June 21, 2019, in a larger space that included a kitchen in Denver's Jefferson Park neighborhood. It's last day of operation was June 28, 2020.

[ Edited by: Hamo 2019-11-21 21:57 ]

[ Edited by Hamo on 2022-03-16 19:21:31 ]

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2018 8:41 PM

I’ve been to Hidden Idol three times so far; the first time was just before embarking on my tiki train trip, and most recently last night.

There are still elements of the old Beetle Bar—wooden panels, chandeliers, the etched bar mirror—but there are also plenty of tikis, a few floats, nets, etc. Yes, there’s a TV and projector playing old movies (Donovan’s Reef, South Pacific, and last night, Godzilla), but it’s still pretty dark.

The drinks are consistently good, and the menu is a nice mix of classics and originals.

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jan 19, 2019 11:31 PM

Returned for the first time in six months, and they've added lots more tikis and even a puffer fish, and removed the beetle from the mirror behind the bar. Drinks were as good as ever.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jun 18, 2019 11:02 PM

Just discovered that this past Sunday was Hidden Idol’s last day at its original location. As of Friday, June 21, they’ll reopen at 2240 Clay Street in Denver. I’ll have to check out the new digs soon.

J

Interesting, their new location is much closer to me on the West side of the city. I never made it over to their Colfax location despite a friend being (for a while) part owner in the place they rented space from. I'll keep an eye out for their new digs.

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Nov 21, 2019 10:22 PM

I visited Hidden Idol's new location back in August and meant to post a few pictures sooner.

I have to admit that I preferred the original location better. It was more "hidden" and darker (granted, I was there on a Sunday afternoon in the summer). But the drinks and food were still good.

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Dec 22, 2019 10:47 PM

Stopped in this afternoon but didn’t stay too long; I didn’t realize Hidden Idol is just a couple of blocks north of Mile High and the Broncos game was almost over, so we left after an hour to beat traffic.

We had the place to ourselves for a little bit. Great drinks, as usual, but I really have to share this new one Ben sold my brother-in-law on:

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Mar 15, 2022 8:22 PM

Sorry to say that Hidden Idol was one of the many 2020 shutdown casualties:

https://www.westword.com/restaurants/tiki-bar-hidden-idol-announces-closing-due-to-coronavirus-restrictions-11732662

My last visit was for the Tiki Central 20th Anniversary Party. At least we've got TC back now.

[ Edited by Hamo on 2022-03-16 19:22:51 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies