Street:2493 Park Ave
City:Tustin
State:CA
Zip:92782
Phone:(949) 433-3854

Description:
http://www.eathatch.com
http://www.facebook.com/eathatch

Hatch is a new restaurant/bar being opened by restaurateur Leonard Chan at the Union Market in The District shopping center in Tustin, CA.

Gourmet sliders highlight the menu and there's a bar featuring, among other things, a selection of "tropical tiki cocktails". The interior features art work by SHAG.

Some press I found on Hatch.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/chan-710161-hatch-restaurant.html

http://www.ocweekly.com/restaurants/hatch-leonard-chans-newest-concept-prepares-to-open-in-tustin-7059983

It's unclear if Hatch is officially open or, if not, when it will be. "The future though imminent is obscure." - Winston Churchill

Besides the tiki mugs, what is it that makes this place tiki? I've seen mention of it elsewhere, yet I fail to see anything tiki about the theme.

On 2016-04-04 22:31, Lake Surfer wrote:
Besides the tiki mugs, what is it that makes this place tiki?

hmmm... SHAG? I don't know.

It's on the remote periphery of the tikisphere, no doubt, but I thought it might interest some. Sorry if it doesn't.

On 2016-04-05 11:44, kenbo-jitsu wrote:

It's on the remote periphery of the tikisphere, no doubt, but I thought it might interest some. Sorry if it doesn't.

Throwing some SHAG art up on the walls doesn't make it a tiki bar.

"Tiki Bar" seems to be the latest catch phrase in bars and restaurants.
Instead, the true theme is super watered down and totally misses the mark.
Just like Milwaukee's latest "tiki bar."

These places need to do their homework and check out Smuggler's Cove, Hale Pele and San Francisco's newest tiki bar, Pagen Idol.

F

Stopped in to Hatch today for lunch with a buddy. He had the "Don's Dream" (Mai Tai) and I had the "Walker" (zombie). Both were very tasty and balanced. They use Clement Creole Shrub in the Don's Dream, which earned that drink "bonus" shakas from me. :wink: We also had some sliders and onion rings- also great. Definitely look forward to returning.

Atmosphere is retro/kinda tiki; not overly "tiki", but I have a feeling their collection of emphemera will grow over the years, if they can stick around a while. Yes, there's lots of Shag art, but it's tiki-Shag, so it feels appropriate at least. Music was a mix of exotica and surf guitar, which the bartender was very adamant about maintaining. The craft cocktail selection was only about 8(?) drinks on menu, but like any bartender worth their weight, they are ready with plenty of off-menu ideas. Local craft beer selection on tap (for those who want beers) was also very good; maybe 10-12 different ones?

Both drinks came in Tiki Farm mugs (I think most all of their tropical libations do). They owner's a big fan of TV's and apparently asked them/Tiki Farm if they could use the Voodoo grog mug to serve drinks in. No proprietary mugs yet, but perhaps eventually. They're building out their rum selection. Bartender was very friendly and knew his stuff. They're trying to double their rum selection from 18 to 36 over the next year and want to offer some kind of "flights" or "passports" with them eventually.

Cheers!
:drink:

Hi All,

I stopped by "Hatch" and I wanted to give my two cents because I loved it and they deserve a good review. I think it is a solid tiki bar that delves interestingly into the realm of Atomic tiki/ Tiki Modern. The drinks on the menu are limited but quality, the bartenders are awesome and nice, the decor was fun and different and all in all it's worth checking out. I agree with all Finky099 had to say and I hope this bar sticks around.

Thanks all,
Coconutmonkey

I'm posting a little update on Hatch on The Atomic Grog and ran across this story on Trevor Kawamoto in the Orange County Register:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/kawamoto-717080-says-cocktails.html

He also has a great blog that documents his 365-cocktail journey. Impressive accomplishment!
http://liquiddigestife.com/wp/

The Week in Tiki * Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

The official blog of The Hukilau

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-06-28 18:48 ]

Hatch is tiny. Light on tiki, even lighter on MCM decor. Much to bright there for me. More like a diner.
Here’s why Me and my wife are anxious to return
Cocktails were excellent. I had their version of a Zombie (interesting) and something that had passionfruit syrup and tequila. I’d order either one again. My wife had a Hemingway Daiquiri which had a slightly cinnamon taste and maybe a hint of falernum. She also had a Don’s Dream which is served in a VooDoo Grog mug.
All the rums I saw there are top shelf and the tiki drinks we had were served in Tiki Farm mugs. Mugs are not for sale...yet.
Grindz are ono, I had Loco Moco-My wife had sliders one of which was duck. Very, Very ono.
Extensive selection of beer
Music was late 50’s R&R.
3 tv’s behind bar easily ignored.
Staff friendly and attentive
Finky posted excellent pix-ther’s no point posting mine.
Check em out

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-12-12 00:04 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-12-14 23:31 ]

Mahalo for the initial post Kenbo-I hope you never get discouraged from posting your thoughts, opinions and observations

F

On 2016-12-12 00:07, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Mahalo for the initial post Kenbo-I hope you never get discouraged from posting your thoughts, opinions and observations

Glad you had a good experience there, Nui. I am overdue for a return, but was wondering how the drinks and grindz were holding up over there. :D

Mahalo for posting!

Glad you had a good experience there, Nui. I am overdue for a return, but was wondering how the drinks and grindz were holding up over there. :D

Mahalo for posting!

Was there this evening. Enjoyed it very mucho again.
Cheers

Some local press on Hatch.

Tustin tiki bar is less tiki and more 'kitschy eclectic'

[ Edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2017-01-23 14:04 ]

Visited this afternoon. Drink menu has been redone. I tried a most excellent drink created by the barkeep Michael. It’s called a Cococano.. Vodka based and quite tasty. See more at Tikli Drinks and food.

Pages: 1 13 replies