Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / Tiki Bar in Marina Del Rey?

Post #47856 by bigbrotiki on Thu, Aug 14, 2003 5:30 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

Tina, I can see you now, what a classic!

Shanghai Red's looks like it was the old "Pieces of Eight", actually part of the same restaurant chain that owned the Castaways, the Ports of Call in San Pedro and the Reef in Long Beach.

Regarding the Angler's Choice joint:

Yep, that looks like someone came by Oceanic arts with a truck and went shopping (maybe an oil sheik?: "Club Narain?"?!).

All the Tikis are from there, the big Ku is fiberglass, they used to have two (for rental only). The only one I've never seen before is the one with the forked tongue, pretty nice, but like the other ones (and the wall masks) they are from the unfortunate "tropical fiesta" period of painting primitive art, a no no in my book, and thus go well with those pesky painted palm fronds.
And the nailed bamboo pieces on the bar look pretty lame, they should let Ben loose on it.

All in all it shows that simply buying a truck load of Tiki at O.A. does not make a Tiki Bar alone, money is not mana.

A regularly reserved table for TCers might help...

But I am all for going to the Warehouse, I still think Burt Hixon (BOT p.79) had a genius concept with photographing all those natives he saw on his travels with the Warehouse menu in hand.