Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Don the Beachcomber's ON THE MOVE!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

Exciting Tiki news coming soon! Be sure to follow us for more updates!

Celebrate the Holiday's in Tiki Paradise at the
“Tiki Mâkeke” at Don the Beachcomber
in Huntington Beach, California on Saturday, December 9! Expect your favorite returning and new Artists/Vendors!

The is a public event.
All ages are welcome.
14 years old and younger are FREE!
Admission Adults $10 (cash only).

Entertainment:
CHIEF OF THE OC & DANCING HULA WAHINE’S
KIMO
THEE SWANK BASTARDS

Vendors & Artists:
B-REX
BAMBOO BEN
BEACHDUDE, INC.
BIGTOE ART
BUZZ RHINO
CALWISE SPIRITS, CO.
CLEE SOBIESKI
COOL GEE
DEADHEAD RUM
DOUG HORNE
FANCY FRUITS
FREAKY TIKI
GO TIKI
GRIDER
HART WARMERS
HAWAIIAN IMPORT
JOHN VON FROND
JOHNNIE VELOUR CERAMICS
JUNGLE GINGER
JUNGLE MODERN CERAMICS
KAPALUA DESIGNS
KEN RUZIC
KUSTOM KRAFTS BY KITTY
LAKE TIKI
LEILANI LOVES VINTAGE
LOWBROW TIKI
LUG IT BAG CO.
LYNN MCGUIRE
MAHALO TIKI
MATT “THE TIKI MAN” WILLIS
MAUI HAL
MOONSHINE MAMA’S HANDMADE ACESSORIES
MS FORMALDEHYDE
OB TIKI
OUT1IN3 ISLAND
POWER POP EXPLOSION!
RARABIRD
RAWFORMED JEWLRY
REESENIK’S GONESVILLE
RETRO RUTHIE
RICK KESS
RON MONSTER
SECOND CHANCES
SHAWNA TICE
SMOKIN TIKIS
STILETTOED DEVIL
SURF CITY HAWAIIAN SHIRTS
SWEET SIREN DESIGNS
TANDUAY USA
TEE-KI TOGS
THE RESTLESS NATIVE
THOR
TIKI AL
TIKI BONGOS
TIKI DIABLO
TIKI GONZO
TIKI POPS
TIKI SWAG
TIKI TONY
VICKI’S TIKI MOON ART
VINTAGE SURF

The Tiki Makeke at Don the Beachcomber on Saturday, September 9 in Huntington Beach will feature your favorite new & returning vendors!!

Bamboo Ben
Big Toe Art
Buzz Rhino
C-Ya in California
Calwise Spirits, Co.
Clee Sobieski
Cool Gee
Crazy Al
Culture Cove
Doug Horne
Elly Karipides
Fancy Fruits
Freaky Tiki
Go Tiki
Grider
Hart Warmers
Hawaiian Import
Henley Woodworks
John Von Frond
Jungle Ginger
Kapalua Designs
Ken Ruzic
Leilani Loves Vintage
Lynn McGuire
Matt “TikiMan” Willis
Miss Nouvelle
Moonshine Mama’s Handmade Accessories
Ms. Formaldehyde
Nalani’s Closet
Nelson’s Tiki Hut
OB Tiki
Out1in3 Island
Poly Hai
Pop Culture Explosion!
Rarabird
Rawformed Jewelry
Retro Ruthie
Rick Kess
Ron Monster
Second Chances
Shawna Tice
Smokin’ Tikis
Stilettoed Devil
Surf City Hawaiian Shirts
Sweet Siren Designs
Tee-Ki Togs
The Restless Native
Thor
Tiki Al
Tiki Bongos
Tiki Gonzo
Tiki Pop
Tiki Tony
TikiGuy Studio
Tikiology
Tikiyaki Orchestra
Trader Pup’s Outpost
Vicki’s Tiki Moon Art
Vintage Surf

*Rum Barrel mugs will be available for $45! While supplies last!!

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2018-04-13 17:03 ]

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2018-07-05 07:21 ]

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2018-07-05 07:24 ]

B

I am going to be live-painting on Sept 12th at Don the Beachcombers International Tiki Marketplace, to publicize the MONDO TIKI art show at La Luz de Jesus Gallery in Hollywood on 11/6. The show features the Tiki Farm 15 anniversary celebration and a nifty art show featuring my art along with doodlings by Ken Ruzic, Doug Horne and Scott "Flounder" Sheidly.

Come on down and enjoy Don the Beachcomber's Tropical environs and Ohana Love!

Saturday September 12th 10am to 3pm
16278 Pacific Coast highway,Huntington Beach,CA 92649

Hope to see y'alls there! Free Hugs from The Ruzic!

[ Edited by: BigToe 2015-09-09 00:15 ]

K

Henceforth ye shall be known as Don's Tiki Marketplace

...to separate the two.

[ Edited by: biotron2000 2015-08-01 02:54 ]

Vendors, Friends & Patrons,

There have been some recent comments made regarding the International Tiki Market Place, which we wanted to clear up and set the record straight.

The event was originally brought forth by Art Snyder & Vicki Bassham (Mrs Bamboo Ben) and it was originally labeled the “Tiki Swapmeet”. After some serious thinking, Art wanted to mirror the International Market Place, which was based in Waikiki and founded by Don the Beachcomber himself, hence the name 'International Tiki Market Place.' Unfortunately, Vicki Bassham (Mrs Bamboo Ben) was not able to take reign of the event due to her heavy schedule. After all of the discussions and Art's persistence, he still wanted to see the event flourish. He needed a lead person to coordinate vendors and essentially be our front person for the event. At the time, Art entrusted Chris Garland for that role and saw him as a viable option to move the event forward. The guidelines were drawn up and as a management fee Chris/ Karen Garland would derive 10% of total Alcohol and Beverage sales during the marketplace ($500-$800 per event). The vendor's fees would be collected by Chris/Karen Garland and allocated to pay for the bands, printing of the postcards and any extra money leftover would be kept by them. The space was never rented from us or did we collect any fee’s associated with the Marketplace except for the $10 charge which would go towards food & beverage consumption.

Since the very first event, Chris/Karen Garland have been paid for every International Tiki Marketplace as an agent/employee of the venue to facilitate the event as a contractor of Don the Beachcomber. Again, they did not rent the space at any point in time or assume any of the risk if attendance was down.
As the event started to grow in popularity Chris/ Karen Garland started to exude a certain control over the Marketplace that would eventually diminish the working relationship with Don the Beachcomber. It’s as if, your employer put you in charge of a project, gave you clear instructions on how to proceed with the project, and once your employer wanted to guide or redirect the project you would then quit and walk off with the idea.

To be clear, we did not force them out of the venue. There was a meeting held a few days ago with Chris/ Karen Garland and Delia Snyder (Owner of DTB), informing them that we would need to reformat the collecting of vendor fees as our CPA has advised us to do and would have to do the collecting of vendors in-house; so that we may properly account for the revenue being exchanged on our property to comply with Federal Tax Revenue Codes. We informed them that if any additional money was left over after paying the entertainment, printing of the postcards and any other overhead, we would gladly add it to their management fee so that it could be properly accounted for, so in essence the only change would be the accounting of vendor fee’s.

A day after that meeting, Chris/ Karen Garland sent Don the Beachcomber notice that they would be canceling the event on September 12th. We never intended to remove them from the event, even after we had learned about Chris/ Karen Garland's trademark application filing of the International Tiki Market Place name, which is currently being disputed. He also refuses to hand over the Facebook page for the International Tiki Marketplace, a Don the Beachcomber property.
The International Tiki Marketplace has grown and succeeded and we are not afraid to praise Chris/ Karen Garland for their hard work. They truly embodied the Ohana spirit of the event and did a great job in managing it. After their repeated actions of insubordination we had no other choice but to severe ties with them.

We are not looking to create animosity or have people chose sides over this matter. The world is big enough for many Market Places and that’s the beauty of the free market system. But the name and foundation of the event is close to our hearts because it’s one of the last events that Arthur Snyder coordinated. Since his passing in 2012, there isn’t a moment that doesn’t go by that we aren’t reminded of what big shoes we’ve had to fill.

We understand how some of you may conceive this to be their event since they were hired to be the hosts of the event on behalf of Don the Beachcomber and we, never in a million years thought that they would turn it against us but hopefully this will clarify some of the misconceptions. We truly wish Chris/ Karen Garland the best. How it all unraveled is an unfortunate situation, but nevertheless, business must move forward.

We hope to see you at the next International Tiki Marketplace at Don the Beachcomber.

T

Ahhh the other side of the story. Thanks for the clarification..."your side". If you do in fact own the event... it appears that the name and logo is a registered trademark owned/registered by C.Garland. might wanna get that sorted out. http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:atao3p.4.6

[ Edited by: tg_tiki 2015-07-31 22:09 ]

No, that trademark is made for the combined mask and words, and "NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "INTERNATIONAL TIKI MARKET PLACE" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN"

K

I'd love to know the face behind the DtB account here, on Facebook, and Instagram. Not for the sake of targeting an individual, I just don't know who runs the show behind their social media and what that person's role and relationship is at DtB.

Here are some new signs I'll have Sept 12th at Don the Beachcombers International Tiki Marketplace.

More stuff soon!

:D :D :D

Come on down for Art,drinks and Hugs at this Saturday's International TIKI Marketplace at Don the Beachcombers from 10 am to 3pm! Myself and BigToe will be Live painting at our booths,frantically finishing up masterpieces for this November's TikiFarm 15 Year Anniversary la Luz de Jesus exhibition! Our Art Brother,the esteemed Doug Horne will be there as well,tho his artistic techniques are not suitable for the public,so he will just be vending... even Bamboo Ben will be there! Anyways, i'll have a handful of art,maybe some woodburns,a ton of original drawings and of course, the new Tiki Coloring Book created a mere month ago.and already providing delight and wonder to thousands!

Come on down and enjoy Don the Beachcomber's Tropical environs and Ohana Love!

Hope to see y'alls there! Free Hugs!

K

Lookin forward to a marketplace out of the sun, with great decor, and a wide drink selection. Curious how this one will play out.

Perfect timing for this show and many more! I just tuned up the entry to Don the Beachcomber this morning!
Here's the before and after

Built this in 2009. Lasted pretty long in the sun and weather.

Tuned up all pretty now!

See y'all Saturday!

H

Uhm... This is how much I liked the entry way to Don the Beachcomber back in 2009. Hard to explain but rum had a lot to do with it.. :)

B

I am going to be live-painting along with my evil twin, Ken Ruzic, on Sept 12th at Don the Beachcombers International Tiki Marketplace, to publicize the MONDO TIKI art show at La Luz de Jesus Gallery in Hollywood on 11/6. The La Luz show will feature the Tiki Farm 15 anniversary celebration and a nifty art show featuring my art along with doodlings by Ken Ruzic, Doug Horne and Scott "Flounder" Sheidly.

I am not going to have my full merch set up, but i will have some small canvas prints

Hope to see y'alls there! Free Hugs from The Ruzic!

[ Edited by: BigToe 2015-09-09 23:58 ]

[ Edited by: BigToe 2015-09-09 23:59 ]

Toe forgot to mention that All three Behemoths
will be Drunken Wrestling
out in the Parking lot
Every Hour!

What a TREAT!
:)

actual Promotional photo from our Wrasslin Glory Days...

The epic return of the "Baby Punchers"!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2015 4:20 AM

Doug Horne and Big Toe wrestling with Kinny---isn't that basically midget tossing?

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2015-09-10 04:47 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2015 4:37 AM

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2015-09-10 04:45 ]

Art War! Pugilistic Painters! commence to Wrasslin!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-09-10 12:45 ]

I'll have a couple of these address signs with me this Saturday!

Bamboo Ben,

Not trying to bust you chops here, but I am a bit of a Tiki historian. The first Don the Beachcomber bar opened in 1933 (shortly after prohibition) at 1722 N. McCadden Place and then moved across the street in 1934 to 1727 N. McCadden Place. Can you "re-route" or can I look for these in the next $2 bin?

DC

Aw man!
So now those signs are Collectors Items of Collectors Items!

Besides Live painting demonstrations from Toe and i
(and the Drunken Wrestling)
Here is a sneaky peek of some of the delightful hand-crafted items you can adopt!

Original Drawings! A ton of em!
An affordable way to bring joy into your home!

Woodburns!

Hand Painted Mugs and Bowls!

a few paintings!

and Coloring Books!

I'll also be bringing and working on this masterwork for November's laLuz exhibition
So come on down and check it out,Kiddles!
Here's a detail from it...

Should be a BLAST TOMORROW!
Looking forward to seeing the Ohana and experiencing the Tropical vibe
of our beloved Don the beachcombers!
:)

On 2015-09-10 23:08, Dustycajun wrote:
Bamboo Ben,

Not trying to bust you chops here, but I am a bit of a Tiki historian. The first Don the Beachcomber bar opened in 1933 (shortly after prohibition) at 1722 N. McCadden Place and then moved across the street in 1934 to 1727 N. McCadden Place. Can you "re-route" or can I look for these in the next $2 bin?

DC

Thanks DC! I blame it on the heat!! lol!! I'll have a few of these address signs a block down the street from the O.G. Don the Beachcomber!!!

D.oh!!!

This came up as 1712 McCadden Pl. Hollywood. This is my worst nightmare ever!!!

Brick!! And White too!!! Ugggghhhhh!!!!

Those dyslexia signs are going into the fire !!!

Double D'oh!!

We be getting old Ben!

On 2015-09-11 10:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
We be getting old Ben!

ChEErs ATP!

On 2015-09-11 09:05, RevBambooBen wrote:

Bring back the Tiki Day Beach Burn!

On 2015-09-11 21:36, kenbo-jitsu wrote:

On 2015-09-11 09:05, RevBambooBen wrote:

Bring back the Tiki Day Beach Burn!

Hmmmmm......

Fire it up!

Don't burn signs.
Just cut off old wrong number add new right number to the top
on another sign with right number.

The back story will make these the signs people want in the future.

Actually, I'm gonna re-route them correct on the back and sell them at the next International Tiki Marketplace at Don the Beachcomber on October 10th!

So, if you feel like showing the first Don the Beachcomber address you can or you can fool your friends with the address 2 doors down and flip it over!

2 signs for the price of one!

See ya'll at Don's on October 10th!!!

p.s. the No Tiki Drama signs went so fast that I'll have a few more next time for those of you who missed out. MAhalo!! to everyone who visited us today!!

T

"p.s. the No Tiki Drama signs went so fast that I'll have a few more next time for those of you who missed out."

Ha! does Dons have one hanging now?

Are you going to do a "No white walls" one next?

On 2015-09-12 20:54, tikiskip wrote:
"p.s. the No Tiki Drama signs went so fast that I'll have a few more next time for those of you who missed out."

Ha! does Dons have one hanging now?

Are you going to do a "No white walls" one next?

Skip! "No White Walls" is in the works! :wink:

I ran out of the No Tiki Drama signs before I could give one to Don's wall. :wink:

What an INCREDIBLE day at Don the Beachcomber's international marketplace yesterday!
So many Smiles! So many Sales! So much OHANA in the house!
and with the new improved air-conditioning and Awesomely helpful staff
vending was a (pun intended) Breeze!
Visitors were non-stop and there was a HUGE line of folks outside before the event even began!
Heard it was the BEST and BIGGEST turnout EVER in their History!
Which says a LOT!
Thank you ALL,Don's,the staff,all you talented vendors and musicians and entertainers
a Great BIG MAHALO for showing your support for this building that holds so many memories and smiles for us all!
Will be there on October 10th to repeat this wonderful experience...
hope to see y'alls there!

K

Sad to say that with all the crammed people, on top of the staff nagging us to death that there even WAS a marketplace (why else would I be there?), and the open doors letting the outside heat indoors, topped with my fussy 2 year old, we didn't make it inside the actual marketplace. I can't believe the lot was full by 10 and that people made a fuss about free shot glasses.

How would you venders and attendees say the event went, overall? In my eyes when I read "biggest one yet!" I thought booooo. Much like Disneyland I'd rather have the place empty rather than packed, so that I can not be shuffled around with the rest of the cattle. I'm sure vendors think the opposite, however.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2015-09-15 11:37 ]

I'll have at least one more of these ALOHA benches avail at the rOCTober 10th Marketplace!

6'l. x 12"d. x 16"h. 85.00 killer deal!!!

Here are some new 10.00 signs we'll have. See y'all soon!

On 2015-09-15 20:10, RevBambooBen wrote:
I'll have at least one more of these ALOHA benches avail at the rOCTober 10th Marketplace!

One of my first ITMP purchases was an ALOHA
bench, but it hasn't weathered well. Time to upgrade!!

(I've since invested heavily in Marine Spar)

On 2015-09-19 00:09, Hpetridis wrote:

On 2015-09-15 20:10, RevBambooBen wrote:

One of my first ITMP purchases was an ALOHA
bench, but it hasn't weathered well. Time to upgrade!!

(I've since invested heavily in Marine Spar)

Yes. The sun eats everything now days. It's best to keep them out of the weather or like you did, invest in Marine Spar :wink:

B

Yep, as a vendor, it was great. Fantastic to see so many new faces. Its a lot of work to set up at the event and more attendance makes it more likely that I can recover my cost. I feel your pain though in trying to get through the crowd with a toddler.

For me though, this has never really been a lucrative event, but rather has been a way to get together with the Tiki Ohana and show support for one of the last venerable tiki bars we have left.

So although I wish everyone success in the Elks Club Ohana, because we have been forced to choose, I personally I have decided to continue to support the Dons Marketplace.

Mr. Toe

On 2015-09-15 11:36, kkocka wrote:
Sad to say that with all the crammed people, on top of the staff nagging us to death that there even WAS a marketplace (why else would I be there?), and the open doors letting the outside heat indoors, topped with my fussy 2 year old, we didn't make it inside the actual marketplace. I can't believe the lot was full by 10 and that people made a fuss about free shot glasses.

How would you venders and attendees say the event went, overall? In my eyes when I read "biggest one yet!" I thought booooo. Much like Disneyland I'd rather have the place empty rather than packed, so that I can not be shuffled around with the rest of the cattle. I'm sure vendors think the opposite, however.

Follow me on Instagram

As a first time vendor, I was very pleased with the event and I plan on vending at the next one. I would say if you don't like the big crowds, you might want to come a little later in the day. It really died down by about 2PM.

The AC has been upgraded. Workers were loading a new rooftop unit on that morning so it should be quite comfortable for the October event.

On 2015-09-15 11:36, kkocka wrote:

How would you vendors and attendees say the event went, overall? In my eyes when I read "biggest one yet!" I thought booooo. Much like Disneyland I'd rather have the place empty rather than packed, so that I can not be shuffled around with the rest of the cattle. I'm sure vendors think the opposite, however.

Follow me on Instagram

Just to let everyone know, THE ORIGINAL ( Bamboo Ben ) NO TIKI DRAMA SIGNS will only be sold at the Original Tiki Market Place at Don The Beachcomber!

All others are imposers!!!

Come to Don's on OCTOBER 10th and win one for FREE( signed too)

while playing Bamboo Ben Trivia!

See Y'all sOOn!!

Super looking forward to next weekend's event--even more so because THOR is giving away signed prints made especially for Don's!! AND if you are lucky you can even get one of the limited prints that have been framed by Bamboo Ben!

Uh..awesome!

Great location..great vendors..great friends...Ohana and aloha overload!!

Support this great, vintage Polynesian palace while shopping for awesome tiki swag AND get hooked up with awesome art for FREE?!?!

It's a NO BRAINER!

[ Edited by: Thrift Tiki 2015-10-03 13:21 ]

Getting excited about the International Tiki Marketplace at Don's this Saturday!
I will be working on an 18 x 36" woodburn while vending,
showing how these pyrographical masterworks are created LIVE!
Feel free to come over and visit the booth and say hello
and DO feel free to ask questions,as i am one chatty kathy ,once started!
There will also be a few hand-painted mugs,Original drawings,
and still a BUNCH of Tiki Coloring Books for you to adopt!
and of course....Plenty of Hugs!
So come on down and let's make a day of it,shall we?

Someone just sent this to me.

Wow!

Corky Carroll is da man!!!

Check it out...... http://www.ocregister.com/articles/hawaiian-686510-place-tiki.html

Awesome!!

Going to be a great crowd this weekend!!

G

Hey everyone. I will be back for another round of vending at Don the Beachcomber's International Marketplace this Saturday the 10th. I will have a bunch of carved Tikis, lamps, $5 vinyl, clothing, mugs, and items of retro splendor. The $5 box and the $1 box have been restocked with vintage bargains and crazy stuff. I'm also selling a few bars to store your booze. Look for the big orange tablecloth in the Longboard room close to the bar.
See ya then.

I also have a Witco bar and stool for sale. PM me for details.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies