Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / Disappointed in Las Vegas (long-re: Taboo Cove/Venus Lounge)

Post #107027 by christiki295 on Sun, Aug 8, 2004 12:58 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2002-09-03 15:31, PolynesianPop wrote:
SlovakTiki,

I think you missed the whole point of my argument. I was responding to the general tone that tikiphiles nowadays believe that building/opening a tiki bar should be done right (authentic) or not done at all. However, as I said before, "I would LOVE to have it running the way an authentic tiki bar should but hey, you can't blame them for wanting to turn their investment into a profit. It is a business after all." . . .

. . .

I think aquarj explained it best by saying:
"Sometimes it seems we're all so thrifty when it comes to our own money, but not when it comes to the money of someone else who actually invests in a place like that. Like they're supposed to cater to a handful of tiki nuts who show up all the way from Timbuktu once in a while hoping for tiki nirvana, and who might be back to buy a couple drinks maybe once or twice a year. And the owners are supposed to perpetually maintain the place in pristine, authentic form (whatever authentic is) out of a pure love of the soul of the tiki experience. Yeah, I think that's a little unreasonable expectation."

I always thought it ironic that they would have blazin R&B and hip-hop at Taboo Cove while having Martin Denny album covers on the wall, but last time I was there, everyone headed to Venus nightclub (except for the bachelorette party). Therefore, I suppose that the Venetian is drawing in its target audience.

Even the beloved Purple Orchid plays a wide variety of music and, on occasion, shows the Laker game on TV, so even great, pure tiki bars enlarge the tiki concept in order to keep their doors open (although Purple Orchid also has special tiki nightsI).