Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Space/Alien/Robot Tiki Art Swap

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies

T
TU posted on Sat, Apr 12, 2014 10:58 AM

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is a normal way to start a new art swap, but I'm not too normal anyway.

This is only my third swap but I had a blast so far.

I guess we need to get a list of participants and a topic.

I kind of like the idea of space/alien tiki.

What's everyone think?

Thanks for the honor of being your leader this time around. I hope to serve you well.

Does a finish date of July 31 work for everyone?
TU

[ Edited by: TU 2014-04-19 06:14 ]

[ Edited by: TU 2014-04-19 06:15 ]

[ Edited by: TU 2014-08-28 17:06 ]

Z

way to rock the swap, TU!

Whatever theme we go for, I am IN! Personally, end of July works fine for me :)
~Zero

Welcome TU!!! I am in, let's get this party started!

T

TU, I'm in- open to (er, almost) all themes- space sounds like it would produce some cool pieces. My mind goes away from tiki and right to Sun Ra (jazz musician):

End of July works for me. Anyone else?

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-04-13 00:16 ]

T
TU posted on Sun, Apr 13, 2014 6:46 AM

Awesome!! If anyone has any other ideas, lets post them and find out what the majority of people want to do. I will post the final subject in the next week if there are more suggestions.

TU

space/alien tiki sounds fun to me.

I'll sign up. Wendy

I'm in
Any theme
Any time

Jon

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and am intrigued by the idea of an art swap? Can someone explain how this works?

I'm an artist and am interested! :)

Thanks!

Sandra

T
TU posted on Sun, Apr 13, 2014 12:45 PM

Sandra,

Glad to have you on board!

Here is the basic deal:

Everyone involved creates an original piece of art. This can be sculpture, carving, painting, drawing, etc.

Your piece has to be finished by the due date, July 31. At the end, I will do a drawing. You get an original work and will send your work to someone else.

I will post the "official" rules as soon as I am done with taxes. I promise to have my art for the swap done earlier. lol

The theme is looking like it will be a space/alien tiki theme.

TU

definitely in for this..will be tres COOL

Count me in!

An alien tiki swap sounds like a fun idea. Thank you for heading the swap up.

Been awhile since I was in one of these. Count me in . Space tiki sounds great .

W

I love the idea of space/alien tiki! Maybe we can throw in robot? I'm in for it. In the past I've had to bow out of a couple, but I've already got a piece or two that would work for this. So fuN!

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2014 8:53 AM

Thanks for taking over TU, count cy in.

T
TU posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2014 6:30 PM

Great turn out so far! I am not big into rules, so anything that seems space, alien, sci-fi robot mixed in with tiki works for me.

Just so everyone in clear, here are the rules from the last swap and they seemed to go well, so I stole them...I mean was influenced by them.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, you make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic mug, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. Usually, at the end of the Swap you are paired at random with another participant and you swap art ~ you get theirs and they get yours.

If you want a secret random drawing, let me know. I'm good either way.

I'm stoked about the theme and started some sketches today. Thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement. This is going to be an out of this world swap!!

Thanks!
tu

im in can't wait space tiki sounds fun!

Thank you tu for leading the charge.
Mahalo

Z

To quote Mister Mad Dog:
"
For those unfamiliar with the concept, you make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. People will be paired by random drawing and will send to their partner.

Here are past Swaps
Cannibals!
Sea Creatures of the South Pacific
Pele/Volcano/Fire
Ladies of Tiki
Birds of the Pacific
Papua New Guinea
Polynesian Menu
Shrunken Heads/Headhunters
"

T
TU posted on Wed, Apr 16, 2014 5:11 AM

Thanks Zero!

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

tu

Let's get ready for LIFTOFF!

Thinking of adding a space themed tiki hut bottom left, and manning the ships with Moais or Marquesans.

~Zero

Zero- I knew u would be the first to kick this off :)
Here we go.....

Awesome

T
TU posted on Wed, Apr 16, 2014 6:41 PM

Great start Zero! I love hula girls with tentacles...

tu

Not sure what to do here are a few of my first sketches I like the one on the right call it spaced out.

Anthony- can't wait to see what you come up with

I've got 3 ideas in the works
Hmmmmmmm

this is not my piece for the swap, but it is a piece i did for a gallery opening back in 2007…. expect something from me along these lines. I've inspired myself for the swap.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24548&forum=18&hilite=tiki%20decanter

Tipsy- awesome....glad you are onboard...

With these ideas this is going to be a good one. I've gotten a start thanks to hang10tiki. My first attempt at making him a Suffering Bastard Bob Coconut Bowl failed and looked like an alien so I'm going to work it into my swap project.

I cast a bowl and I

cast a Bob.

I will go crazy with this one for fun. Wendy

PS hang10tiki I've already cast another bowl so your project will happen in the future

Wendy- no problem

Can't wait to see what u do...

Jon

Z

YAY!
~Z

T

Zero, awesome!

Tipsy, cool stuff.

Wendy, Space Bob???? Bobs in Space? Love it.

I have a few ideas I'm sketching out now, here's the first one (though structurally may have to change the approach):

"They Called Me A Space Tiki":

This would be an ideal piece to throw for the rocket ship pointy-osity- if only I was better on the potters' wheel. :wink:

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-04-18 15:47 ]

T
TU posted on Fri, Apr 18, 2014 5:24 PM

Anthony--

Looks Good Anthony! Which one are you going to do?

tu

T
TU posted on Fri, Apr 18, 2014 5:29 PM

Wendy, I bet it is going to be cool.

TikiAno, nice start.

Yesterday was a 13 hour work day, so I didn't get a chance to check, but I'm stoked everyone is started and posting. If I can get a decent pic, I will post my sketch for my painting. Still thinking about where to put the Plastic Pink Flamingo.

tu

T

Looking good everyone... I am in!

I missed our last swap and moved over the past year... I am now in Colorado!

Cannot wait to see all the pieces come together.

Has anyone reached out to any of the other art swappers to see if they are in?

peace,
Jason

I'm in.

Z

Welcome, guys! looks like an out of this world swap!

T

On 2014-04-19 09:46, ZeroTiki wrote:
Welcome, guys! looks like an out of this world swap!

There's going to be a doozy of one-liners about this swap, huh? :wink:

I thought of something really good to write, but then forgot. I just sorta spaced out....

Another drawing, figuring out approach in clay for a mug. I might, as per usual, work on two separate pieces- thinking about a metallic glaze, or, on the other end of the spectrum, a green alien one. Hmmmm...

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-04-19 16:14 ]

T
TU posted on Sun, Apr 20, 2014 5:57 AM

Great start everyone!!

I will put together a list of participants in the next couple days, but if someone wants to join after that, the more the merrier.

If there is anything I have forgotten, let me know.

Thanks again for everyone joining in!

tu

I am stoked at the participants I am seeing so far! This is definitely gearing up well! Progress so far:

Can't wait for the jokes to get astronomically bad!

Rock IT!
~Zero

PS- Already working on the always present, ZeroTiki "secret toy surprise in every package" - a real crackerjack move, if I do say so myself :tiki:

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2014-04-20 11:40 ]

T
TU posted on Sun, Apr 20, 2014 5:00 PM

Love it Zero! Way to lead the charge on posting your work.

tu

This is going to be a good one
Strong start everyone

T

Zero, looks great. Having had received an Art Swap from Zero, there's bound to be lots of out-of-this-world goodness. Look forward to seeing your work progress.

I plan on starting on mine next week...

W

Getting excited about this!

Zero, you are quick! Way to get it going. Looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas.

Here are a couple sketches I've done, going to do a painting similar to the robot meets tiki drawing. I'm also doing a godzilla painting for another show, so that will get me in the mood!

Sweet

3 ideas I'm thinking of
Time to pick one
Hmmmmmm

Very cool stuff coming up! So good to see so many people on board, thanks again TU for leading the CHARGE!!!!!

I want to make an Alien Kane mug, here is a quick PhotoShop rendition

The plan is to make a slot in the front for a green glowstick to light up the eyes and headdress. Want to re-design him so that he has the the classic big alien eyes. Will have to find a good "alien" glaze

C
cy posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2014 8:32 PM

A great start to this event zero, the tentacled wahine reminds me of someone from my past. Wendy nice usage of a project gone awry, and I really like the first sketch WoodTiki. Love your idea MDM, glow sticks are too cool. I am at the same stage as anthonymaye and TikiAno, and I guess like everyone, working through ideas. I'm not into nostalgia, but went back a ways to pull from the futuristic "Jetsons" cartoon. I will do the final product back- painted on glass to resemble an animation cell.

Mike
Cy

Awesome.....

T

MDM, awesome- big giant glowing eyeballs sound great. Lighting effects even better. If only my throwing skills were better, have you heard of those artists who throw porcelain so thin it's slightly transparent? Google "translucent Porcelain" for some cool art work

Woodtiki, looks great.

Zero, you're on fire!

cy, love George Jetson w/ a fez.

This Swap is taking off like a second stage rocket. Er, or something like that.

Yes TikiAno I have seen that transluscent porcelain effect, very cool. As I remember it needs to be thrown very thin and fired at ^10. My little kiln is doing good to reach ^04 :D

Cy, I missed the fez :lol: Damn, that's a GIANT fishing float lamp!

Mike, was just wondering....instead of throwing the porcelain, could you not make a mold of the porcelian pieces you will need and use porcelain slip to cast them and fire them separate before attching to the mug? Just a thought. I have never down either but I know the porcelain pieces I used to china paint were molded and made with slip.

• Dale

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies