Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / New york City TIKI

Post #29453 by donhonyc on Sun, Apr 6, 2003 12:49 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
D

Hey Sabina and all -

Went up to the former home of Hawaii Kai aka 1638 Broadway and saw what it is now. Although I've walked past this place thousands...perhaps millions of times I woulda never realized that it housed the Hawaii Kai. Gotta say that it is so typical of what happens to certain locations/landmarks in New York City. Something that was so cool and has such an amazing history is destroyed for a far less superior successor. I could go down the list of amazing places in NYC that have been destroyed and replaced by things like parking garages and drug stores, but I won't get into that now. Instead here are a few photos of where the Hawaii Kai used to be.....Next to the Winter Garden Theater, which for what seemed an eternity, was the home of the famous Broadway show 'Cats'. That show shut down about two or three years ago. It was also the home of Gilda Radner's one-woman show for a while back in the 70s. Now 'Mama Mia' the ABBA musical is currently playing there. What used to be Hawaii Kai, or at least what used to be the entrance, is now a place called 'Backstage Memories', another tourist trap souvenir store for people who come into town and blow their cash on lame stuff after they check out a show. I've enclosed a couple of shots to illustrate the lameness complete with arrows and circles to enhance your perspective. Enjoy!! :sheckymug: