Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

help to save bahooka's mascot, rufus~~~

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 434 replies

T
THOR's posted on Sun, Feb 2, 2014 2:14 PM

If you want to do something that IS the true meaning of Tiki Aloha ….PLEASE read this thread and help us save this little fella!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=737289629624093&set=a.103785556307840.7791.100000291895686&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment
T

"This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."

Those of us who don't use Facebook can't view this.

O

Actually, I do use facebook and I got the same error message. Possibly something to do with the privacy settings of whoever created the facebook page?

I use Facebook and I was connected to Thor's post. I connected through my Android phone and not a desktop. Maybe that's why?

A friend sent me a screen shot of Bigbro's Facebook posting (I'm not on Facebook anymore). Apparently the new owners of Bahooka will not keep Rufus and there is a concerted effort going on to secure him a home. People have reached out to Damons in Glendale as well as to Don's and the Tonga Hut. Hopefully someone with more information than myself will see this thread and post on it.

Maybe someone can post the info here on TC for Non-Facebook users

Onyx_Noir has mentioned that they have connections at Aquarium of the Pacific, I believe
has anything come of that?

I know Kari is talking to Damon's in Glendale to see if they will provide a home for Rufus.

Fez Moai has posted that he was offered Rufus by the new owner of the former Bahooka
but has posted no details, other then that, like was he looking to sell Rufus or just find a new home
for him?

That is all I have heard to date.

O

I'm only a member at the Aquarium, but I did send them an email. The email was sent on Friday afternoon, however, so I'm not really expecting a response until this coming week. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me something.

O

On 2014-02-02 15:29, tikilongbeach wrote:
I use Facebook and I was connected to Thor's post. I connected through my Android phone and not a desktop. Maybe that's why?

Are you and Thor friends on facebook already though? Because if you are, that's why you're able to see it and we aren't.

This is what was on Facebook.

This was from Sven...Animal Shelter Alert!: Bahooka's Rufus orphaned! The new owner of the property will not care for him any longer. Who will give the orphaned monster fish a good home !!?

Tom posted this...Thor Art WHen I got up this morning, I decided to do a little cartoon about this lil' fish…and here's what I believe is in his world right now…sadly. I encourage anyone that likes, to add a caption of their own….and give Rufus a voice to be heard~~
(Only posting this as it is art by Thor to help in the plight of Rufus, for those of you that can't see FB.)

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2014-02-02 18:47 ]

I don't live in the area, otherwise I would try to help out. I am sure some aquarium enthusiast will help Rufus. What a cutie he is...he deserves a home with a Tikiphile who knows and loves him.

Thanks Vamp!

T
THOR's posted on Mon, Feb 3, 2014 6:11 AM

Thanks for reporting the cartoon! Sorry... I didn't realize the Facebook link was filtered. Hoping to hear soon that someone comes through for a place for Rufus. Myself and others have offered to offset the cost of moving him!

-Thor

T
THOR's posted on Mon, Feb 3, 2014 6:11 AM

Thanks for reporting the cartoon! Sorry... I didn't realize the Facebook link was filtered. Hoping to hear soon that someone comes through for a place for Rufus. Myself and others have offered to offset the cost of moving him!

-Thor

I'm not in the area either, but does the tank come with Rufus? He looks like quite a big boy, and would need a huge Tank, and good filtration. A commercial aquarium might take him, if a Tiki Centralite doesn't.

Hope it all works out well for Rufus. The drawing THOR did is very moving. I am hopeful that he will get a good home.

FM

I will be seeing Rufus tonight and will negotiate some more with the owner. The owner would like the tank to go with Rufus as a package. I have received interest from Don the Beachcomber, Tonga Hut, and Damon's regarding Rufus. I've been dealing with the owner for almost three months now and I'm trying to find a place that would be the right fit for Rufus. He offered me Rufus last week, but my home is not the right place for him. So, as opposed to buying Rufus myself, I'm acting as the intermediary to find him a new home. Someone from Damon's has yet to contact me, so I may have to go to Plan B soon.

On 2014-02-03 15:29, Fez Moai wrote:
I will be seeing Rufus tonight and will negotiate some more with the owner. The owner would like the tank to go with Rufus as a package. I have received interest from Don the Beachcomber, Tonga Hut, and Damon's regarding Rufus. I've been dealing with the owner for almost three months now and I'm trying to find a place that would be the right fit for Rufus. He offered me Rufus last week, but my home is not the right place for him. So, as opposed to buying Rufus myself, I'm acting as the intermediary to find him a new home. Someone from Damon's has yet to contact me, so I may have to go to Plan B soon.

Thanks for the update Fez Moai. Please keep us updated and let us know if there is any way we can help.

OGR

Would not the the Tonga Hut or Don's be the best location for this Tiki transmission well loved gilled icon? MHO.

Hope he can go to another Tiki Bar...that would be a great place for him so he can be admired by those that know and love him.

Here is more info that was posted on FB (it was a link to this an article about Rufus).

Bahooka Love Story SOSOCAL
He looks after 105 aquariums, but a fish called Rufus has stolen his heart
July 16, 2000|ED LEIBOWITZ

When the crew of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" showed up to shoot a tiki bar scene at Bahooka Ribs and Grog in Rosemead, Bernardo Reyna saved the restaurant's prized pacu from a beta carotene overdose. The crew wanted to send Rufus, a 34-pound South American predatory fish that loves carrots, into gyrations of ecstasy by feeding him stick after stick of the veggie. "If we feed him that much, he's going to explode," warned Reyna, caretaker of Bahooka's Polynesian paradise of 105 built-in aquariums. To fend off calamity, he fastened a string around a carrot, dropped it into the tank and tugged at it off-screen as Rufus pursued. With no undue stomach upset, Rufus thrashed about magnificently as Johnny Depp's character made his frantic call to score drugs on an aquarium-adjacent pay phone.

what's the lifespan for that kind of fish?

OG Rum it sounds like Fez Moai has been in contact with both the Tonga Hut and Dons.

It would be great to see one of those three places work out for Rufus. At least he would be at one of the Tiki establishments we love. Hang in there Rufus old buddy!! Go Fez Moai!!!!!! :D

FM

I've received kind messages from some with a home to offer him, but I would love to see this guy go to a tiki establishment where everyone can go see him, as I'm sure everyone else would also. The guy taking care of Rufus right now, Jorge Mastache, worked for Bahooka and is also helping the owner sell and move the fish tanks. If anyone is interested in a tank, please TEXT him at his number, 626-893-3490. I didn't see the owner tonight, as he is caught up at his restaurant.

T
THOR's posted on Tue, Feb 4, 2014 9:48 AM

OK...Got a message from Kari this AM.... Is it confirmed that owner is giving us ONE WEEK to get Rufus claimed now/?? Fez? Seriously , if this s the case, we need more than "interest" and an establishment to step up NOW!!! Hourglass is running out!!!!!! SERIOUSLY though....if this new owner harms this fish we need every freaking voodoo, and Tiki which Doctor from Here to The South Pacific to put NASTY JuJU on this new establishment!!! NO way is this going to lead to Rufus being thrown into the dumpster! ~~~~~

FM

Nothing bad will happen to Rufus, he knows how important he is. He'll probably just be moved to the back banquet room while they start remodeling. We want to make sure that he is only moved once as it is not going to be an easy thing to do. The initial plans to keep him fell through, hence he offered him to me and as I could not easily offer what Rufus needs, the word is out for a new home. The new restaurant has a scheduled opening date of May of this year, so they're itching to get started, mainly his wife (you guys know how that is, :wink: ). There are offers to take him already, but we're trying to find a place where everyone can go see him.

T

Just communicated with the Manager at Damon's He feels that the board has other plans for the Restaurants future improvements and Rufus would not be part of that. Therefore...please Check off Damon's from the list. Doing all I can to get this decision making refined here. Busy as hell here at work but trying to catalyze a firm commitment. ~~THOR

FM

Thanks Thor, I was waiting for an answer from them.

Thanks Thor for "proactively" getting involved

I think it's time to put the cards on the table & post all the pertinent information
to facilitate finding a new home for Rufus

Just exactly what does the new owner want? doe's he or Fez Moai want monetary compensation
for Rufus? if so how much?

Is the owner willing to donate Rufus to someone whom can care for him?

Fez Moai is a new member here & does not have the contacts that many of us long time members have in the Tiki community
but since he is in contact with the owner Fez has become a go-between so posting contact info & being more forthcoming on the actual situation
would be extremely helpful to finding a new home for Rufus.

I do not believe that Don the Beachcomber will be able to take Rufus at this time, but would like to hear
if anyone else has heard any different.

Who here might like to provide a home for Rufus?

FM

Here we go again. There is ONE important contact that I have, and that's directly with the new owner. His English sucks, he'll tell you that himself. So he doesn't want to be bothered with others. I've been dealing with him for three months and he wants to keep it that way. If you don't like it, tough. I'm not making a damn cent on this, this is purely for Rufus' best interest, or have you not been reading my posts?

I am not bringing up that other post Fez, just trying to get the info
that we need to find Rufus a new home, so let's just leave it at that.

You have been rather vague on details & your efforts don't seem to be getting anywhere
so it's time to step up & give us those details, you have not said so, does the owner or you want
money for Rufus? if so how much? or is he willing to donate him to a good home, simple question.

I am only asking for the facts, so we may be able to find a new home for Rufus,
I am not criticizing you for any of this & actually appreciate your
attempts to do something about it.

T
THOR's posted on Tue, Feb 4, 2014 3:05 PM

Ok.... I was just chatting with my good friend who is the current assistant GM again at Damon's. He is really doing his best and said to give him till the end of the day tonight. He is giving it a REAL push to get the board that owns Damon's onboard with this. Damon's has numerous "owners" that need to all agree on any happenings there. No guarantees...but at least after tonight we will know for sure if Damon's is a definite No or a go.

Good Luck Thor!

T

Let's not see him turned into a float lamp! :(

G

On 2014-02-04 16:20, TikiTacky wrote:
Let's not see him turned into a float lamp! :(

Tacky, TikiTacky. :)

Thor please let us know how it goes tonight at Damons. It would be great if Rufus ended up there so we could all visit him.

Sure hope that pans out at Damon's
Thanks for your efforts Thor!

It has been over 7 hours since asking without a reply, has anyone else found out any more information
regarding what the owner wishes to do about Rufus?

Has anyone checked with Amy at the Tonga Hut for a possible new home for Rufus?

What about giving Rufus to an interested "Individual" if Damon's falls through
The clock is ticking for our carrot munching buddy & actions speak louder then words.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-04 20:34 ]

EJ

It has been over 7 hours since asking without a reply, has anyone else found out any more information
regarding what the owner wishes to do about Rufus?

Fez doesn't have to give you a response.

Has anyone checked with Amy at the Tonga Hut for a possible new home for Rufus?

Fez Moai is a new member here & does not have the contacts that many of us long time members have in the Tiki community....

So why don't you use your long time member status and contacts and maybe help Fez out? Maybe call Amy yourself and put her in contact with Fez instead of trying to insert yourself into the situation and just stir up shit?

What about giving Rufus to an interested "Individual" if Damon's falls through
The clock is ticking for our carrot munching buddy & actions speak louder then words.

Fez has already answered this question. Do you not read the posts before you post? Fez has stated that he would rather Rufus go someplace where the public can enjoy him instead of into a private situation.

S

On 2014-02-04 20:56, El Jefe wrote:

So why don't you use your long time member status and contacts and maybe help Fez out? Maybe call Amy yourself and put her in contact with Fez instead of trying to insert yourself into the situation and just stir up shit?

That should have read, "instead of trying to insert yourself into EVERY situation and just stir up shit".

Let's stay on topic for this one! Jefe.

But none of my questions have been answered so far
and some answers would be helpful to everyone interested, not just me.

Also I did not wish to bother Amy if someone already asked her, but that must not have occurred to you.
for once you might try to be helpful instead of argumentative.

The only thing important in this thread is finding a home for Rufus
& I for one will stay focused on that goal.

Edit for spelling mistake.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-05 01:03 ]

EJ

ATP you really need to stop because you're just really embarrassing yourself.

Let's stay on topic for this one! Jefe.

I am definitely on topic. The points I made and the questions I asked pertain to the topic at hand. If you don't understand that I don't know what to tell you. I also laughed out loud to find myself chastised by you for being accused of going "off topic".

But none of my questions have been answered so far
and some answers would be helpful to everyone interested, not just me.

Once again Fez does not owe you an answer. Based on the way you've treated him in the past I wouldn't answer your questions either. It seems there are more than a few people trying to help Fez without the answers you claim will help "everyone". Stop speaking for "everyone".

Also I did not wish to bother Amy if someone already asked her, but that must not of occurred to you.
for once you might try to be helpful instead of argumentative.

This is a total cop out. For once you might try not to be argumentative.

The only thing important in this thread is finding a home for Rufus
& I for one will stay focused on that goal.

I agree. Now use your long term member status and contacts to help Fez out.

[ Edited by: El Jefe 2014-02-04 21:51 ]

Message sent to Amy, now you two are only being disruptive
so get lost.

EJ

On 2014-02-04 21:51, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Message sent to Amy, now you two are only being disruptive
so get lost.

To me I think I have been quite productive. I got you to use your long term member status and contacts.

T

O.K. Now both of you, for the sake of Rufus, SHUT UP! Before this subject get locked too.

with aloha, tikicoma

All grumbling aside...I am worried about Rufus and I never have even met him. I know old fish need to stay in their own water when being moved...and slowly changed out for new water that is similar in chemical balance to what they are currently living in. Somebody that knows about fish really needs to also help. I am thinking good thoughts for him and so hope he gets to live amongst the friends who love him in a Tiki bar.

S

On 2014-02-04 22:59, VampiressRN wrote:
All grumbling aside...I am worried about Rufus and I never have even met him. I know old fish need to stay in their own water when being moved...and slowly changed out for new water that is similar in chemical balance to what they are currently living in. Somebody that knows about fish really needs to also help. I am thinking good thoughts for him and so hope he gets to live amongst the friends who love him in a Tiki bar.

You are right Marlene, any fish, not just old ones, need to stay in their own water when being moved. You can't just physically pick up an aquarium and move it to where you want so what you need to do is try to take as much of the water from the tank with you as you can. The problem is that the bigger the tank the more water it holds and therefore you need more and more, and larger and larger, containers to transport that water.

You also need to transport the gravel if it has any (without cleaning/washing it) so that means more buckets/containers and again, the bigger the tank the more gravel it will generally have in it.

Effectively what you are trying to do is empty the tank, move it, and refill it using everything from where it came from. There will be a small amount of water loss during the process but a small top-up with new water shouldn't be an issue.

Once in it's new location maintainence is the same for any aquarium, regular water changes. Keeping fish is easy, but what you need to remember is that you are a 'water keeper', not a 'fish keeper'. Unlike all other pets, you are providing and in control of a fishes enviroment. If you move from one side of the country to the other, or to another country entirely, besides the surroundings your dog or cat will be breathing the same air. Water chemistry changes and it is up to you, the water keeper, to try to keep the water chemistry as stable and as consistent as possible. By moving the tank as i mentioned above you won't be changing the water chemistry at all so you shouldn't have any problems.

If you plan ahead moving a tank is not hard, just time consuming. When i moved house the tanks were the last things to move and the first things to set up. Not fun and very tiring but the best way of eliminating the possibility of any fish losses.

(20+ years of keeping fish with about 8 in the industry, both wholesale and retail. I was a fish geek before i was a tiki geek.) :D

That was my concern also, Vamp & swizzle is 100% correct on how to move Rufus
to his to new home.

Sven posted on Facebook about Rufus needing a new home. There are quite a few people that have asked for help in relocating him.
Polynesiac hasn't posted on TC since December, but I thought he worked at the Cabrillo Aquarium in San Pedro.
Because of the issues with moving Rufus I think the Aquarium of the Pacific or the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium would be the best and most knowledgeable. Moving him will be expensive.

T

Call the local news station or paper to do a tear jerk story about this.
He will have a home soon after.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 434 replies