Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Album Cover Art Swap - Deadline Dec 24th - It's Done!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies

It's official, the next Art Swap theme will be Album Cover Inspired Art. Could be Exotica, Hawaiian, Tahitian Drums, Maori Haka ~ whatever you consider to be Tiki. Drawing will be 9pm Pacific December 24th and I will post results Christmas Morning.

Last winter we tried a Swap to end mid December but people got tied with the business of the holidays and could not meet the deadline. START WORKING NOW SO YOU CAN FINISH ON TIME :D

For those unfamiliar with the concept, you make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. People will be paired by random drawing and will send to their partner.

Here are past Swaps
Cannibals!
Sea Creatures of the South Pacific
Pele/Volcano/Fire
Ladies of Tiki
Birds of the Pacific
Papua New Guinea
Polynesian Menu
Shrunken Heads/Headhunters

If you are interested in this Swap and you were NOT on my mass-mailing e-mail list last time, drop me a PM with your e-mail address

Original post

On 2013-09-13 06:02, AlohaStation wrote:
How about another Swap. Perhaps a Xmas theme?

I like it! We tried to end the last winter Swap before Christmas but people had trouble meeting the deadline so we extended it to the end of January. If we start now can we finish before Christmas? How about holding the drawing Christmas morning?

What do you think?

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-09-15 08:20 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-12-04 10:15 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-12-10 19:02 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-12-22 21:38 ]

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2013-12-24 06:35 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-12-24 22:52 ]

Theme ideas?

If we put on a Santa hat on a tiki then he has to go in the closet for the rest of the year. I would hope to keep it on-line with the other swap ideas.
I would still like to see one with the art based on the cover of a Hawaiian album cover. Cheers, Wendy

I love the idea of Christmas themed but do agree with Wendy about having to put it in the closet for the rest of the year....

I'm in but I'm not feeling particularly creative at the moment. It might depend on if the theme brings me inspiration.

I'm up for another swap.

Hawaiian album covers would certainly offer a lot of possibilities for creativity to bloom.
~kele

I might be able to do this one. But Christmas morning? I'm busy that day... :P

T
TU posted on Sat, Sep 14, 2013 2:00 PM

The cannibal swap was a blast, so I would be up for another. Work has finally slowed down enough for me to check out what is new.

Is the piece an interpretation of an existing cover, or what we would like to see on a cover?

I like the Christmas idea too. Would a Christmas card exchange work?

V

I'm IN!

But not for a christmas themed tiki (I do so many holiday themed day job illustrations and animations through November/December that I can't imagine doing a tiki)

Also - if we are doing album covers - can it be exotica albums too - not just Hawaiian music?

Henrik "VanTiki"

I think I may be able to make this one!

Album cover theme......I like

Jon

I'm in again fo sho!

I LOVE the album cover idea, and vote for hawaiian/exotica. Tons of great ideas there! Does it have to be the exact album cover? or could it also be based on some of those great line drawings you see on the inside or backside of the record covers?

Also, although I enjoy doing my yearly christmas pendants/ornaments, I also think that it should not be holiday themed.

gonna be fun!! (and challenging for me! I LIKE it!!!)

T

In. I love the album-inspired theme... if Mike's theme is a go, would vote for a "Holiday" theme over a "XMas (only()" theme... :wink:. Think the an LP theme will present some awesome entries. I'd agree w/ Henrik, exotica counts, too...?

Thanks Mike for kicking it off once again!

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-09-15 05:49 ]

It's official, the next Art Swap theme will be Album Cover Inspired Art. Could be Exotica, Hawaiian, Tahitian Drums, Maori Haka ~ whatever you consider to be Tiki. Drawing will be 9pm Pacific December 24th and I will post results Christmas Morning.

Last winter we tried a Swap to end mid December but people got tied with the business of the holidays and could not meet the deadline. START WORKING NOW SO YOU CAN FINISH ON TIME :D

For those unfamiliar with the concept, you make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. People will be paired by random drawing and will send to their partner.

If you are interested in this Swap and you were NOT on my mass-mailing e-mail list last time, drop me a PM with your e-mail address
If you would like to lead this Swap or a future one, let me know. I don't want to hog up all the fun

Thank you Mike for running another swap. I love them. I am honored that my idea will be the theme.

There is a music thread here on TC with photos of albums and also many are posted on Tiki Finds. Dan has some too with tikis on the front.
It's going to be fun to see the swap entry and what inspired the person.

Dan just got this one. I don't know if I'll use it but the hunt is on! Wendy

This is going to be good...

Count me in...actually this was one of my suggestions a while ago so will M Denny it as I always wanted to do a kick BUTT portrait of him!

Let's drop the needle in the groove, set it to 78 RPMs, and get this party started. I'm in.
~Zero

yay, finally a theme I like Im in.

T

Wendy, I was thinking about using THAT cover... ha. Time to think outside the box. Er, record sleeve. Okay, the tiki menorah will stay on the backburner... though I think Eric October has done that before...? (am I right?)

I agree w/ Jon/ Hang10. this IS going to be good....

Tiki Ano you could use that cover. It would be fun to see different interpretations of the same cover by different artists. It just won't matter in the end because as always the art will be great. Wendy

I think Wendy has an advantage over the rest of us for inspiration material. Dan has over 100 Hawaiian and exotica albums ~ and that's just the ones he got at Goodwill THIS MONTH :lol:

I think this is the thread that Wendy was talking about

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24584&forum=11&start=0&hilite=show%20us%20your%20record%20collection

I just went through the whole thing & it was extremely enlightening!

~kele

I am in but this will be a hard one. Whats a ... LP?

haha no i have been restoring some of the 70's and 60's record players for fun but
dont really listen to a lot of the music what about this if so im all over it!

On 2013-09-15 12:24, Sophista-tiki wrote:
yay, finally a theme I like Im in.

Awesome. Let's groove.

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 16, 2013 7:44 AM

I'm in like Don Ho Ho Ho.

On 2013-09-15 17:32, anthonymaye wrote:
...what about this? If so im all over it!

Anthony, I'm not the Tiki Police and there has been plenty of Rat Fink art posted on Tiki Central. If that says "Tiki" to you then go for it!

I used to carve Rat Finks out of soap bars when I was a kid. Love that Maori tongue they have. Wendy

This theme sounds great!! I'm in for sure!!

So stoked this will be fun.

BT

the more album covers posted the better :wink:

Or I may have to do a Fink.

T

Wendy, thanks, I'll most likely use another one- though that's a great cover. Maybe I'll go for...

He's a tiki machine to all of the chicks...
(Ya damn right!)

Wow
Almost at 20 people in a flash

Ya damn right

Tikiano

can ya dig it

W

ooooooo, I like this theme! I'm in, sounds fun. So, does it have to be based on a specific album, or can we just make one up?

On 2013-09-16 19:37, Woodtiki wrote:
...does it have to be based on a specific album, or can we just make one up?

Again, I don't want to be the Art Police. The intent is an existing album cover but if your project was to create a fictional album cover in an exotica style I could see that fitting in well. To carve a tiki from an album cover that never existed seems to be skirting the theme :)

T

Mad Dog Mike, Art Police:

WAIT!!!!!

EDITED (for content, as per MDM Art Police): :wink:

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-09-17 09:47 ]

Love a man in a uniform!

:lol:

Awesome

MDM, looks like you've put on a bit of weight.
Must be all the donuts! hee-hee
~kele

I was thinking about joining this swap but I'm not sure what the guidelines are. At first I thought you were supposed to make up an album cover. But it looks like the art is to be inspired from an existing LP.

When I thought you were supposed to make one up, I roughed out this sketch:

I was even going to make up some song titles to go with it.

I'll have to give this some more thought.

Inspiration, hmmmmm, inspiration, hmmmmm

BT

MaukaHale,

I think that's great. Nothing says it has to be an existing cover. People are just posting them for inspiration.

I live in Colorado, not sure a Hawaiin album has ever made it this far inland.

I like being on an album cover with Dan and MadDogMike, thank you hang10tiki. I better find a cover and get to work, Wendy

I've made up several album covers over the yrs. its pretty fun and easy . The lettering totally makes it. But I have a pretty good idea of one I've always wanted to do.

Z

On 2013-09-17 20:04, MaukaHale wrote:
I was thinking about joining this swap but I'm not sure what the guidelines are. At first I thought you were supposed to make up an album cover. But it looks like the art is to be inspired from an existing LP.

When I thought you were supposed to make one up, I roughed out this sketch:

I was even going to make up some song titles to go with it.

I'll have to give this some more thought.

Do it!!
My plan is a tropical/exotic homage - exotical!

~Zero

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2013-09-20 10:42 ]

T

Zero kicking it off! Looking good. I'm working on my design, a wraparound form.... Or perhaps a large stoneware turntable? :wink:

I love coincidences. Today Dan and I went tiki hunting and found this album. Then I log on here and see Zero Tikis art. Zero, good start.

I also found this album but I don't think I'll use it because I want the art to be displayed year round. Cheers, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies