Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies

UPDATE 6/1 - Personally I like the challenge of Album Cover Inspired Art but I'm going to go the democratic route and pick the highest vote getter which was CANNIBAL!!! :tiki:
Album Covers and Tiki Drinks were also top picks, maybe we can use one of those next time, both sound very interesting to me.
Jones, I did add Cannibis/Pakalolo to the list for future consideration. From my experience with the TC crowd that subject is sufficiently "tiki" and could produce some very interesting ceramic paraphernalia :lol:

It's almost June, if we are going to have an Art Swap to end just before Tiki Oasis we need to start now.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, you make an original art piece (not a mold or a print) inspired by the theme in any media ~ could be a painting, digital, carving, ceramic mug, beaded, knit, sewn, mixed, diorama, whatever. Usually, at the end of the Swap you are paired at random with another participant and you swap art ~ you get theirs and they get yours. But the last one was a secret drawing circular Swap where you don't know who is sending to you until you get it in the mail.
Most recent Swap themes have been;
Sea Creatures of the South Pacific
Pele/Volcano/Fire
Ladies of Tiki
Birds of the Pacific
Papua New Guinea
Polynesian Menu
Shrunken Heads/Headhunters

Suggested themes have been;
Animal
Cannibal
Mixed Media
Mini
Life/Death
Skull/Bones
Water/Sea
Nautical/Pirate
Marquesan
Tangaroa
Ship Wreck
Music - Exotica/Hapa Haole/etc
Martin Denny
Hawaii Calls
Cargo Cult
Hawaiian Album Covers
Tiki Temples
Classic Tiki Drinks
Ports of Call
Cannibis/Pakalolo
Or some other theme

I organized the last two Swaps, it was easy and rewarding (besides, I got to choose the topic :D ) I could do it again or I could get someone else pointed in the right direction

If you are interested in this Swap and you were NOT on my mass-mailing e-mail list last time, drop me a PM with your e-mail address

Clay, the oldest and most divine art media;
"And now, from the clay of the ground, the Lord God formed man" Genesis 2:7
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-05-28 09:22 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-05-30 04:34 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-06-01 12:11 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-06-02 15:27 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-08-11 01:25 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-08-11 08:39 ]

Mike good to know you are back from Mexico. Thanks for starting up another swap. How about art that resembles a Hawaiian Album cover. Pick one and make art to resemble it in some way. That could cover most of the topics. Cheers, Wendy

Mike, thanks for heading this up again!

I'm in...

Peace,
Jason

I would like to do the new art swap. :)

Other theme suggestions:

Tiki Temples (anything based on the decor etc from famous old tiki bars/restaurants and other tiki places of note.)

Along the same lines another that might be fun is for everyone to choose a drink off an old tiki menu, and incorporate the theme of that drink somehow. Things like: Fog Cutter, Zombie, etc. Of course the real fun in this would be if everyone had a different drink they used.

Ports of call: various loosely tiki related exotic locations such as Shanghai.

Instead of being so open with the theme, you could narrow it to something specific too, and see how wild people could get within the confines of that theme. For example if I said "tapa designs" were the theme, it is narrow, but still has a huge field to play within.

Just some suggestions off the top of my head. :)

I'm in. Animal, Cannibal and Ship Wreck are my favs.

HT

Count me in.

I'm in and I'll try to do a project that isn't ceramics in nature. Maybe!

I'm cool with any idea but cannibals appeal to me.

Thanks Mike for running this Art Swap again!!! :)

Don't want to say yes just yet because I have a bazillion projects on my plate and I might not have time.

V

Argh!
I'd love to get in on this, but there is this little problem:

On 2013-05-27 20:24, MadDogMike wrote:
if we are going to have an Art Swap to end just before Tiki Oasis we need to start now.

Yeah. I'm already sweating coconuts with 79 days to prep pieces for Tiki Oasis. I'd be nuts to commit to a swap as well (especially since I wasn't able to get anything built in time for the last one!) :)

Big Mahalo to Mad Dog for putting this together - and I sincerely hope I can get in on the next one!

Henrik "VanTiki"

I'm in canibal sounds cool
but I'm down foe whatever woohoo!

Count me IN.

I'm in
Any topic

Jon

I haven't done one of these before and I've always wanted to - they sound like a ton of fun!

I'm in for this one!!

My vote is cannibal as well! but, I'm down for whatever the admin wants.

W

Sounds fun, put me in Mike! I like the classic tiki drink idea, so many fun ones to choose from. But whatever you go with is okay with me. I haven't done one before, so do you need my email? I'll PM you with it...
Thanks!

T

Mike, I'm in!

Animal, Hawaiian album cover option, Classic Tiki Drinks- all sound great to me. Looking forward to it again, and thanks (once again) for organizing!

CAN
NI
BAL!

Z

I wouldn't be me without jumping into the pool - Woo HOO!!!
~Zero

Cannibal is definately leading the pack. I will give it a couple more days for people to voice an opinion and post an official theme Saturday morning :)

CAN
NI
BIS!

Mahalo Maddog! I'm in for this one.
Cannibals sound good to me.

On 2013-05-29 16:45, TravelingJones wrote:
CAN
NI
BIS!

:lol: Does that say Cannibis? :lol:

M
mp posted on Wed, May 29, 2013 6:42 PM

Cannonballs???? Wha?

On 2013-05-27 20:24, MadDogMike wrote:
It's almost June, if we are going to have an Art Swap to end just before Tiki Oasis we need to start now.

Mike, how come before Oasis? Do most people exchange there in person?

BT

Cannibal, Animal, Skulls/bones sound interesting.

I'll jump back in the fray, but this time I'll work in a different scale so that even if I'm broke the shipping won't kill me. hated to miss the last one but the purse strings got REALLY tight right there at the end.

On 2013-05-29 20:40, 4WDtiki wrote:
Mike, how come before Oasis? Do most people exchange there in person?

No, that won't work out for most people. But it's cool if at least a few people can swap in person. Get to see the look on their face when they get your art and maybe meet someone you haven't met before :)

HT

I think before (or at) Oasis is a good date. It gives people roughly 2 months, which is a good amount of swap time. If you can't complete a piece in two months, you're either putting too much time into it, or you just don't have enough time to do a piece anyway.

T

I haven't done one these before, but sounds fun. Count me in. Cannibal or Album Cover sounds pretty cool.

Z

Waitaminit...there's people I haven't met before?
This is an outrage!

I'm definitely in!
Hawaiian Album Cover or tiki drink are my first picks, but you know me, I'll try anything (at least once! lol)
Thanks, Mike, for organizing again.
~kele

T
TU posted on Thu, May 30, 2013 7:48 PM

I'll jump in! Cannibal art sounds...tasty.

We be getting quite the line up

Kinny is in... Yay!

....and so many more people jumping in. This is going to be awesome. I just want to encourage everyone to hang in for the whole swap because we have quite a crowd forming this time around. And a bunch of new swappers!

Don't forget to reach out to other artist friends you have here on TC and encourage them to join the swap...

Thanks again, Mike, for being our fearless leader!

C
cy posted on Fri, May 31, 2013 10:05 AM

Thanks for doing the swap again MDM, count me in.

Skulls or Cannibals would be cool.

1st post updated

Personally I like the challenge of Album Cover Inspired Art but I'm going to go the democratic route and pick the highest vote getter which was CANNIBAL!!! :tiki:
Album Covers and Tiki Drinks were also top picks, maybe we can use one of those next time, both sound very interesting to me.
Jones, I did add Cannibis/Pakalolo to the list for future consideration. From my experience with the TC crowd that subject is sufficiently "tiki" and could produce some very interesting ceramic paraphernalia :lol:

I'd like to get in on this too - first time!

I was trying to figure out some Cannibal inspiration and came across this thread - http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33940&forum=5&start=0

Before that all I could think of was the KFC commercial where the guy yells out "I ATE THE BONES!"

creepykbear directing us to that cannibal thread was perfect for inspiration. Thank you, Wendy

T

There's always "Cannibal! The Musical" for inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93yOKPFxBMY

(Though not very tiki, it's the first film from Trey Parker, Matt Stone and the South Park team). Not suitable for all audiences....

Mike, I was hoping for album covers, too, but I'll chew on this idea (so to speak) and work on some directions for this swap. Looking forward to it!

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-06-01 13:41 ]

T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4O1A-mmBWw

Roastin', toastin', you're the one I'm boastin'
Eat me, eat you, incredibly delicious too
Gourmet, flambe, serve you up an entree
Intake, home bake, you're the icing on the cake

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-06-01 16:51 ]

T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPpUFBVSyWs

One - You lock the target
Two - You bait the line
Three- You slowly spread the net
And four - You catch the man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCV6paTXyCU
"Gotta find a woman Gotta find a woman"

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-06-01 17:04 ]

On 2013-06-01 09:54, MadDogMike wrote:
CAN
NI
BIS!

Damn auto-spell...I was just trying to support Kinny! 8)

Cannonballs are coool too, I'll get started right away!!

Tank'z MDM!!!

:tiki:

Skip, those first two vids were very odd but the third is a classic :lol: :music: Gottafindawoman, gottafindawoman, gottafindawoman ~ right on! :music:

So, in terms of tiki, can anybody provide some reference material/inspiration for cannibals? I don't suppose shrunken head stuff counts as quite the same thing? The only cannibal imagery I know of is the typical three stage tiki design, or the cliche cartoon of the guys in the cooking pot and I would like to try to go beyond that.

T

"I don't suppose shrunken head stuff counts"
What? Who do you think shrinks the heads?
shrunken head = cannibal to me.

Tiger, there is no Art Swap Theme Police ~ whatever says "Cannibal" to you as an artist, but it is Tiki Central so it would be best to focus on South Pacific cannibalism and not the Donner Party or Jeffrey Dahmer.

Cannibalism was considered to be part of many of the the cultures of Melanesia including Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Fiji, and Vanuatu, it is rumored to be still practiced by the Korowai tribe of Papua New Guinea today. Inspiration could be something "sensational" like a pile of bones, shrunken head, or stew pot. Or it could be an object related to the practice of cannibalism like a Figi cannibal fork or a Solomon Islands nguzunguzu (war canoe prow ornament)

Is it really a good idea to get all these Cannibals trading Art with each other?

First it's Did you like my carving, next thing it's, I shrunk your sister-in-law's head
and ate your uncle!

P

I think this one hits a little closer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juhnqyCwY6I

T

Nice video!
-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies