Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food / the ideal Mai Tai formula?

Post #43413 by Unga Bunga on Thu, Jul 17, 2003 3:31 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

On 2003-07-17 14:54, thejab wrote:

The float comes with the "San Francisco Style" Mai Tai at Emeryville. But no mention of it here:

http://www.tradervics.com/mai-tai-1.html

Also, in the article on the Trader Vic web site it says that Trader Vic switched to Bols brand Curacao in the 1950s as he liked it better than Dukuyper.

Regarding rum, the article says Trader Vic starting using Martinique rum when 17-year-old Wray & Nephew became unavailable because it had the essential nutty and snappy flavor. So, he wasn't just throwing in any old rum. Like Don the Beachcomber he knew of all the differences between rums and he was looking for a specific flavor of rum. It says he later created Trader Vic's Mai Tai Rum by blending certain Jamaican and Martinique rums. But I haven't seen the Mai Tai Rum in any liquor stores around here or at the restaurant.

Also in the article it says, "Mai Tai - Roa Ae". In Tahitian this means "Out of This World - The Best". A Tahitian woman I use to live with told me it meant "good for you". I should find a Tahitian dictionary for trivial reasons.
I have one bottle of T.V. rum I bought on line. They sold out and never restocked it.
I pour it like liquid gold. It should be showing up in stores hopefully soon.