Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Beachcomber, Victoria, Canada (restaurant)

Pages: 1 8 replies

Name:The Beachcomber
Type:restaurant
Street:711 Broughton Street
City:Victoria
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is one of those Holy Grail postcards. The first time I have ever seen photos of the Beachcomber restaurant that was located in Victoria, British Columbia.

It is an oversized card with three great photos of the restaurant interior and the exterior.

First, the exterior. That A-frame entry with the Tikis holding it up is super cool. There is even a PNG-style storyboard painting on the A-Frame entrance. And that waterfall in the window to the right - WOW. More Tikis on the wall to the left.

The bar area crammed with lots of visuals.

And the dining room, also full to the brim with all of the Poly Pop classics, from fish-trap lamps, fish net floats, Leeteg nudes and jade tiles. And those great Tiki table lamps.

Back of the card.

As many of you know, this was one of five Beachcomber restaurants located in Canada – as listed in these matchbooks I posted previously.

Very happy to get this beauty.

DC

Wow, great blow-up of the front! The neon A-frame supported by those cool Tikis, and that Tiki diorama window - wonderful!

As for those interiors: One has to be reminded that nobody knew how to light and photograph Tiki temple interiors in the dim, atmospheric lighting that they were designed with. Inside, the customers never saw the rooms lit up into every corner like these postcard photos show them. Really kinda destroys the mystery, doesn't it.

Looks like they had "Luau" table lamps.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-02-26 19:33 ]

M

HEY! My grandfather ran the defunct Beachcomber in Victoria for some years. Here are some images from the menus from the Edmonton restaurant. Pretty cool!!!
I even have two tiki statues (I'll have to take photos) and my mom had some of the original green chairs and tables from your pictures - they were in our basement for years.

Great postcards.

Welcome MrsSmith. I would love to hear any stories you can recall about your grandfather's involvement in the tiki scene and his restaurant. Can't wait to see the photos of the tikis.

H

Here are the images from MrsSmith that for some reason are not showing up for everybody (anybody?).

Mrs Smith,

Hope to see some photos of your Tikis. Here is the menu from the Beachcomber in Victoria that sold on ebay a while back. Different than the other standard menus that were used at multiple locations.

DC

On 2013-02-26 18:59, Dustycajun wrote:
Name:The Beachcomber
Type:restaurant
Street:711 Broughton Street
City:Victoria
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is one of those Holy Grail postcards. The first time I have ever seen photos of the Beachcomber restaurant that was located in Victoria, British Columbia.

It is an oversized card with three great photos of the restaurant interior and the exterior.

First, the exterior. That A-frame entry with the Tikis holding it up is super cool. There is even a PNG-style storyboard painting on the A-Frame entrance. And that waterfall in the window to the right - WOW. More Tikis on the wall to the left.

The bar area crammed with lots of visuals.

And the dining room, also full to the brim with all of the Poly Pop classics, from fish-trap lamps, fish net floats, Leeteg nudes and jade tiles. And those great Tiki table lamps.

Back of the card.

As many of you know, this was one of five Beachcomber restaurants located in Canada – as listed in these matchbooks I posted previously.

Very happy to get this beauty.

DC

A young local tiki enthusiast (with better eyesight than me) found my tiki in one of the these Victoria Beachcomber photos that @Pineapple directed me too!!!!

If you look at the last photo of the dining room, he's easier to spot...right in the middle of the picture there is a light coloured, framed side of the booth seating with a tiki picture on it, follow a line directly up from the right edge of this (where it meets the right booth seating back) and you will find him up there!!

~Heather

Heather,

I see the Tiki! Will try to get you a blow up image to see it better.

DC

Treefrogs!!!!
OOHHH my goodness, now that I am looking on my large monitor, and zoomed in to 400%......I need better eyes :lol: I can see your Tiki. Really cool.....I hope that you can get a better zoomed scan from Dustycajun.

Amazing find.

Pages: 1 8 replies