Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Arclight-Hollywood will be showing Cinerama South Seas Adventure

Pages: 1 21 replies

12:00noon SOUTH SEAS ADVENTURE (1958) Friday September 28
Digital presentation, remastered from original negative.
They're also showing several other remastered Cinerama films. It's to celebrate their 60 anniversary.
http://www.arclightcinemas.com/news

This is a big deal, I thought the print was lost.

Moving this to California Events.

T

holy crap!!! this is HUGE news!!!!!!!

this film was thought to be lost!

thanks for the heads up!!

Booked. Thanks for the tip.

This feels like a great opportunity to finally mix up a batch of Cinerama Luau Punch. Thanks for posting!

Kevin

B

We were told at one screening that due to expense, all original 3-camera Cinerama prints were made from the camera negative! That should make for pretty sharp images, but also wear and tear on the negative.

T

please, dearest lord, that this means a blu-ray release.

this is crazy-bananas cool, and I've already bought tickets. but just to let you know... i noticed on the arclight website that they will be screening DCP, not film.
my tiki-boner has drooped slightly.

B

There are two screenings, one on Friday, one on Monday October 1st. Is everyone here attending Friday? "Search For Paradise" also looks interesting. I may take that Friday off work and catch shows all day Friday and Saturday!

C

Yes, this was announced last year at Cinecon, where we were shown the footage of the New Hebrides tower jumpers. Got my tickets for Friday, and for quite a few of the films on all three days. This is Cinerama and Windjammer (which features a lot of Caribbean footage) are being out in Blue Ray by my friend Jeff Massino's Flicker Alley, but hopefully South Seas Adventure, Cinerama Holiday, The Seven Wonders of the World and some of the other recent digital restorations will eventually follow-suit (which I think will be determined by how many people buy the Blue Rays of the two being released).

Brent

B

Terrific. I'll be there. Also ordered my copy of "This is Cinerama" blu-ray today!

DEFINITELY attending this show! Then, drinks at the Tiki Ti a bit later in the day.

I'm going on Friday!

Just fantastic! Don the Beachcomber scene was particularly amazing. What a way to spend a Friday afternoon.

:up: That's it, just one review? (Thank you Mighty Woo) Come on people, cough em up!

On 2012-10-11 09:31, Bora Boris wrote:
:up: That's it, just one review? (Thank you Mighty Woo) Come on people, cough em up!

Yaaah, more info! I was on the wrong side of the planet.

B

A bit long on Australia, but otherwise lots of fun. Great to see a couple of the key people featured in the movie at the screening. And original program books available for $5! Hope this makes it to blu-ray!

The movie was pretty spectacular -- in both scope & content.
Presented in a travelogue format (a documentary-like depiction of a few individuals' fictional journeys), the film took us from a cruise to Hawaii (with plenty of aerial views of the island and some great surfing footage), across the Pacific to Tahiti, Fiji, New Zealand and then Australia. The stories are driven almost entirely by narration (much like 'Endless Summer') with very little on-screen sound (except for some conversation in the second half and the live performances from Don the Beachcomber). The narration has a very charming quality to it, even if it is a bit saccharine.

The film is split into two halves (separated by an intermission) and has some great music within the Overture and Entr'acte.

Any tikiphile will most likely LOVE the first half of the film -- which is filled with beautiful footage of tropical locales including the aforementioned visit to Don the Beachcomber (which runs for several minutes and includes a few extended excerpts from their live show).

The second half is almost entirely consumed with an awkward and fairly uninteresting look into Australia's Outback (and their "School of the Air" and "Royal Flying Doctor Service"). It's hard not to come away thinking that the promotional information in the second act paid for the beautiful & exotic footage of the firs act.

Hopefully, the restored film version means that a DVD version is on the way!

JB
G

On 2013-04-25 07:23, Joe Banks wrote:
Coming on Blu-ray...pre-order now!

http://www.flickeralley.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110&Itemid=56

Joe, you beat me to it! Since I am the proud owner of a tiki themed home theater, this news has me stoked beyond belief.

Here's the trailer for the restored version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeyeChzsVUQ

When you preorder the new DVD from the website it says: "All orders placed now will not be scheduled to ship until on, or just before, Tuesday, October 22, 2013 in conjunction with the 50th Anniversary Pacific Cinerama Dome Theatre Celebration Events.)" Let's hope this means that there will be new showings of the movie at the Cinerama Dome shortly before the release!

In retrospect, the remarks about the second half are valid. However, as I was watching it in the Dome, I wasn't thinking, "This isn't very tiki!" as it progressed Down Under. In that segment, I was charmed by the clothes, vehicles, overall sweet (and by modern standards) quaintness of it all. "School by Air" was a look at what at the time was an advanced approach to educating kids in the far-removed Outback. I was grateful that the whole film was available to experience (this is not to say that others here whom have offered their opinions are not also as happy to have seen it.) So yes, it is not completely tikiesque from end to end but cool nonetheless.

Pages: 1 21 replies