Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

T

Thought it might be good to have a thread that tells people that want to build
a home Tiki bar or garden space ECT... to have a place to go to find the ideas that worked,
and better yet the ones that did not work.
More and more people are building home bars from the ground up.
This gives you a huge advatage if you know all the things you need and want and well just make
it a better place to party in.
I will start with this one.
In the Midwest (Ohio) Bamboo, rope and wood rots.
Winter and the rain we get here messes with everything.
I put this up and one year later it rotted to nothing I even put shellac on the rope and cork.
Heck the dam Squirrels even ate the cork and rope maybe they like shellac.
This is before.

And this is one year later.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-12-08 06:28 ]

I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong. :D

Great idea for a thread TikiSkip! I wish I had burned and varnished the lumber in my deck instead of painting it "redwood". It would be pretty much impossible to go back and do that now.

The best thing I did was I sketched hundreds, if not thousands, of drawings of my tiki room and bar before I did anything.

I ended up only using about 30% of the ideas I sketched. I should post those drawings sometime...they can get pretty fanciful.

I agree with Tikiskip. As someone who has a backyard tiki patio...the midwest winters (Cleveland) are BRUTAL on everything "tiki". I have to dismantle the patio when winter comes. No amount of sealer or shellac keeps things from rotting. I'm in the middle of adding onto the house so I can move the tiki bar inside. If you plan on outdoor tiki living...be prepared for the sun and rain to really take its toll.

S

I built a sub-floor over concrete. I should have put a vapor barrier down under the wood, and I should have put in venting to get air flow. I was able to get back under and put in vents witha large Forstner bit and then put in a small fan, but there is mold and mildew in there that will be there forever. It is just hopefully not growing now.

But that is what happens when you buidl yourself. A contractor would have done things more "right".

I also have tried a variety of under bar lights. We started with a rope light and those little plastic clips. Those break easily and are a pain to begin with. Plus the rope light gets hot and it is big. You can see it hanging under the bar. I was wanting ambient light, not to see the rope. When they are on and heat up, they sag even more. Later we discovered an LED system that you can change the color and brightness. It is super thin. And you can buy it in pieces to make as long as you want. But the glue will not last. We ended up super gluing them onto veldro and using the velcor to attach to the bar. That also allows us to replace a pice if it goes south.

We also put the edge on the bar so that it makes a little lip. We imagined we wanted to trap stuff on the bar top. Wrong! you want to be able to wipe off into the floor or your hand or whatever. Make that trim edge flush or lower for best clean-up.

What a great idea for a thread! Since I'm in the middle of my build I'm anxiously awaiting all the replies. Keep em coming!!!!

The only thing I've found out so far is you can't have enough tiki stuff or bamboo. If you see something you like, buy it. You'll find a place for it later. And nothing's going to be perfect so try to relax on your perfectionism. (that's really hard for me. I tend to second guess myself a lot.)

Use LED lighting when ever possible, low heat, easy on the electric bill
& comes in all sorts of colors.

Only use glue,varnish & sealers rated for indoor use or you can get sick!!!

a "level" is you best building buddy, use one.

T

Good post Swanky.
"But that is what happens when you buidl yourself. A contractor would have done things more "right""
Don't forget about youtube sure they have all the stupid s#$! on there but they also have lots
of how toos.
I would bet they got one on putting in a floor.
Like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFyb1VrlelQ&feature=related

"The only thing I've found out so far is you can't have enough tiki stuff or bamboo"
That is true kinda, most old time tiki nuts have sooo much stuff the room is too packed or they
have stuff in boxes.
Now if you find really good stuff like from the Kahiki you do need to buy.
But then that is way my house is a mess really I bet I have 50 or more lights not lit sitting around.
So I guess I would say buy the good stuff, wait and pay more for the better items, most of the time
those types of things will be worth close to if not more than you paid for them in the first place.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-05-29 16:12 ]

T

Now for some good stuff.
I made these.
And the older they get the better I think.
I used nylon rope on the top of these it will not rot.
You can find fancy nylon rope at a good marine,boat store.

Go to flea markets and antique shows even get photos on line via ebay
so you can see different styles of bouys then make them yourself.
(Photo below from antique store)

T

For your home tiki bar you will need LOTS of shelving.
Make what you think is way too much shelves then make more.
You will need space for your Booze, mugs, other tiki stuff.
And maybe a book or two.
Plus if you like to make many different tiki drinks, well you will
have a ton of bottles. (I have 174 at this time)

S

We hoarded for years before build out. A lot of what we bought was close-out and discounted stuff from stores like Target, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, etc. They all have stuff like placemats, plate chargers and all sorts of stuff made with tropical mattings and natural fiber stuff. And then you start re-purposing it:

The squares behind the masks are actually plate chargers from Target bought super cheap. The other side is natural colored and like a very fine lauhala. The material behind that is a drop cloth that we "tea stained" to age. We later found that using coffee and the tea bags themselves was best for the heavy cloth.

Even much maligned Party City has table runners and other stuff cheap that can be repurposed later.

Then we built the bar and sold off and tossed a giant mess of stuff that was not needed! But, I can't get rid of it all. Never know what you'll build next!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2012-05-30 08:30 ]

Q

I've had the great pleasure of visiting Mr. and Mrs. Swanky's Hideaway and I can tell you that it is top notch!! I would have never guessed those items were created in that manner.
It seems like some of the best looking home bars have lot's of inexpensive and/or repurposed items that have been used creatively. I am currently in hoarding mode...

GREAT thread idea!!

H
harro posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2012 9:14 PM

On 2012-06-01 12:09, Q-tiki wrote:

GREAT thread idea!!

Yup indeed, keep the tips coming!
Know that you're helping a brother out.

H
harro posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2012 9:14 PM

Dam double post again

[ Edited by: harro 2012-06-03 10:12 ]

Nice Nice Nice...I better add to my bottle collection...obviously I am not up to par. Great info!

My sharing is not much cause I can't do any building myself, but I can shop, so buy what YOU like and put it WHERE YOU WANT. I have taken a lot of hits on hanging my Tiki bike from the ceiling, but I like it and once I hang a bunch of other crap up there it will blend in. Always look through pictures on this board for ideas...it is the most wonderful resource. If you have the opportunity to run plumbing and install a sink go for it...I wish I had that in my bar area. I also wish I had more bar space, so if you have the room...go big! Support the fabulous Tiki artists on TC...it fills your lounge with love. Good lighting and sound system and TIKIS!!!

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2012-06-02 18:18 ]

skip-
174 bottles
im on my way over, start mixin
:)

On 2012-05-30 06:17, tikiskip wrote:
For your home tiki bar you will need LOTS of shelving.
Make what you think is way too much shelves then make more.
You will need space for your Booze, mugs, other tiki stuff.
And maybe a book or two.

I have to disagree for two reasons. 1. I don't have a single shelf in Bora Bora Basement--this is strictly a matter of taste. and 2. If you find you need one, you can add a shelf later.

Now electrical outlets--THAT's something you want lots of.

BK

I ran outlets, in my ceiling, all around the perimeter, operated by wall switches. Best thing I ever did.

T

" I don't have a single shelf in Bora Bora Basement"
Where do you store your booze, glasses, ECT?

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2012 7:10 AM

On 2012-06-07 18:09, Big Kahuna wrote:
I ran outlets, in my ceiling, all around the perimeter, operated by wall switches. Best thing I ever did.

Agreed. I put a 4-gang outlet in the ceiling on a switch behind the bar. I then ended up running a black extension cord over to the wall and to a black power strip to get more stuff on that switch. Nothing there is over 15 watts. You can also daisy chain power strips if needed and plug one into another.

I have a power strip mounted under the bar and between these 2 switches, nearly everything comes on. The Home Theater is plugged direct.

I still have to go around and hit one switch for the mug shelf and a few more. It is still about 6-8 things to turn on to get the bar going, but it is getting to be less and less. I try to put them on a single switch anywhere possible.

I still have to go around and hit one switch for the mug shelf and a few more. It is still about 6-8 things to turn on to get the bar going, but it is getting to be less and less. I try to put them on a single switch anywhere possible.

One of the best (and simple) things I put in my room were the remote power controllers. They were cheap and just plug in between the outlet and the lights/effects/whatever. I think it was $20 for a set of two. I can control 6 outlets with the remote.

I wish I had outlets in the ceiling. At the same time, given that my ceiling is covered with reed, I'd probably be nervous if there was an outlet up there...

T

Yes outlets are needed in your tiki bar.
One thing I found is a plug you can add to a cord
wherever you want, will try to post photo of one.
Don't know if they make these anymore.

And Pappy just saw your bar on TC, I've never seen one so neat.
Nice job.
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3487/4c852925.jpg

Most tiki hoarders like me have sooo much crap everywhere it kinda
messes up the space.

T

My lessons from 10 years of maintaining a "private" tiki bar in the summer:

Once I used fresh bamboo and will never make that mistake again. It split up and fell apart in 1 year. Same with bamboo / grass matting on vertical surfaces, with a wet season, it gets black and rots. Smells bad too.

Thatch is as good as your last hurricane season. I am looking at fake thatch now due to picking up 100 lbs of it out of the yard every spring. I currently have a recycled metal roof and love it for the zero maintenance.

Make the roof big enough so people can still sit at the bar if it's raining, and you can still make drinks without water dripping down your back.

I have to agree with shelving. My third version will have a lot more exposed shelving behind the bartender (me) to show off the rum and mugs.

Ice melts. I go through $30+ of ice on a good night. I need more fridge space at the bar to keep beer, juice, wine cold and that way gearing up and shutting down each time doesn't mean a lot of trips to the basement / garage fridges.

People bring you tiki stuff, all the time, a lot of it.

I hate paying shipping but I also hate driving. It evens out most times.

Just my $.02

Tom

[ Edited by: teamtom 2012-06-08 09:44 ]

On 2012-06-08 09:02, markmywords wrote:

One of the best (and simple) things I put in my room were the remote power controllers. They were cheap and just plug in between the outlet and the lights/effects/whatever. I think it was $20 for a set of two. I can control 6 outlets with the remote.

I wish I had outlets in the ceiling. At the same time, given that my ceiling is covered with reed, I'd probably be nervous if there was an outlet up there...

X10 controllers?

T

On 2012-06-08 10:41, freddiefreelance wrote:
X10 controllers?

Have a look at http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html -- eight independently controlled outlets, Ethernet, scriptable, at $129.

I made a web page so I can control my bar lighting from my phone. I'll add more complicated mood settings someday, like a button to play Les Baxter and turn on only the puffer fish lights...

I love those light controllers!
Some great tips being added.

Here's a new one.
You know those Yucca plants. (See first photo)
I always thought I could use the stalks to make tiki lights with.
So I have been saving these for many years.
This is what I came up with for now, not a light but still cool.
Hold stalks together with zip ties.
Then cover with twine.
Done, took me 20 minutes
And heck these things are free!

Here is a photo of the outlets you can add to a cord at any place you want.
Now you could not put a heavy load on these but a small watt light should be ok.
Just clamp down on cord and two prongs make connection.

Leviton Snap-In Receptacles

1306 - Snap-In Panel Mount Receptacle Commercial Grade 1-15R 15A 125V - Black More...
15 Amp, 125 Volt, NEMA 1-15R, 2P, 2W, Snap-In Receptacle, Straight Blade, Non-Grounding, Leads 14GA 6 Inch Long Wired - Black, UPC: 07847716840

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-12 07:15 ]

X10 controllers?

Nah, not that complicated. Like this: http://tinyurl.com/7t5wvy5

Mine is the 6 outlet version.

H
harro posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2012 6:52 AM

On 2012-06-11 12:16, tikiskip wrote:
Here is a photo of the outlets you can add to a cord at any place you want.
Now you could not put a heavy load on these but a small watt light should be ok.
Just clamp down on cord and two prongs make connection.

what do you call those things? not sure if they sell them down here. very handy.

T

Looks like they changed a bit.
But these are them.
http://www.onestopbuy.com/Leviton-Snap-In-Receptacles-59069.asp

W

This looks like it may work too, but I can't find any online.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-34-cord-ends-female-110v/brown-add-an-outlet-231993.aspx

T

Yes thats it.
Here's more that I found.
http://www.avillahardware.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=143264&c=762248&i=254595312

Eagle Snap-On Triple Outlet BP2602W

10A 125V White Quick Attach Cord End Triple Outlet

Residential Grade

NEMA 1-15R

High Impact Resistant Thermoplastic Construction

For Cord Size 18-2 SPT-1

Insulation Piercing Terminals

Cube Tap

Made In USA

And one more.
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/White-Snap-On-Female-Outlet--17969.htm?source=Shopping

White Snap-On Female Outlet
Product ID: 17969 - Sold out for season
Our Price:

Description:

White Snap-On Outlet for an Electrical Extention Lead
Use only Flat #18-2 SPT-1 Cord
Do not use electric shaver cord (TPT) or on any device rated over 1250 watts (10 amps and 125 volts)
Use only with 2-wire, non-polarized plug

But you get the idea, you can find these on line.
I found mine at a local store that carrys weird electrical stuff.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-12 07:51 ]

WestADad & tikiskip -

thanks for all those links! I've been trying to figure out how everyone lights a zillion floats, mini lights, lanterns, etc without having eight million outlets in their tiki space and how everything gets lit up. Great ideas/solutions.

You solved a big mystery for me. Keep the ideas coming, you are helping so much!

B
Bonj posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2012 7:01 PM

what do you call those things? not sure if they sell them down here. very handy.

I doubt you'll find those in AU. They aren't compatible with our power point style and you need a license here to do electrical work. Better off with low voltage (12V) alternatives if you want to string your own.

T

So here's a new one.
Some of the best things you can add to your tiki space is the nautical stuff
you know the ships wheels, port hole windows.
You can even use those boat rope tie down things (I think they may be called cleats?)
as door handles or towel racks ect...
I was lucky to get ones from the Kahiki that are old and brass these are not cheap these days.
But you can get new ones not brass but still cool these can be found at a boat type store.
Some of these items can be kinda pricy but they last forever look great and need no maint.
Plus they hold there value so they are a good buy.
See photos.

S

Yeah, skip, I just bought 10 small dock cleats to use and pulls fo rcabinets and drawers. Cheap and easy.

S

This is not exactly what I used under my bar, but similar. A flat ribbon of LEDs that has a remote control and allows you to change the colors and dim and brighten them. The ones I have came in 1 foot sections you plug end to end. The glue eventually failed and we reworked them with velcro instead. This was much easier and better than traditional rope lights. And the disco strobe effect comes in handy at times...

Amazon link

My search results

Too Big?

G

On 2012-06-12 07:14, tikiskip wrote:
Looks like they changed a bit.
But these are them.
http://www.onestopbuy.com/Leviton-Snap-In-Receptacles-59069.asp

Well, hell. I wish I had known about those before I put my dimmer/string light circuit together.

T

"Too Big?"

David I love it!
How heavy is that thing?

On 2012-06-28 19:24, tikiskip wrote:
"Too Big?"

David I love it!
How heavy is that thing?

it's not,it is about 50#
It's the 2 piece wood form, for making the sand mold for a bronze ship cleat.
I'm going to glue it together and paint it bronze.
even up close,It looks like the real thing.

KT

My number 1 tip.... work out exactly how much raw materials you need before you start the build out and then buy about a quarter extra. You'll need it, especially if you're doing your first build. A lot of trial and error, that is screw ups, means you'll use more than you think. Also, If you can afford it, buy it all at once. There's nothing worse than going to pick up supplies only to find something you need is out of stock, or worse still, discontinued. Nearly a year out from the start of my build I'm still going because of this. It'll be finished next week I hope!

IMHO, I agree with Swanky, LED strip lights (I got mine from Ikea) are brilliant to light up shelves. I have mine lighting up my rums and mugs and as you can change their colour you can change them according to the best setting for your place. And they are low heat and very small and discreet.
I personally found that varnishing the lauhala matting with a matt varnish gives it a great aged look.
Agree that plenty of sockets are invaluable.
And finally plan out your floorspace and where the bar will sit a number of times to find what suits best and don't panic in the early stages of the build. The best bars will evolve as things and decor are added to them.

And one regret, if you can make your bar a 'wet bar', it makes keeping things clean a lot easier. I have to run up and down stairs to wash things up.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2012-07-24 04:19 ]

Tikiskip, thanks so much for the porthole idea!!! Im totally going to use that!!

T

Glad you like.
Now build that bar and show us what did or did not work.

Here's a cool one.
A table and umbrella stand all in one.
Just go to the hardware store and get a 1.5 inch floor flange and
a 1.5 inch piece of threaded pipe about two inches long.
Bolt to your barrel then add a bolt to hold umbrella.
You may want to put some nails in the rings on you barrel
to hold them together better as well.

On 2012-07-23 01:31, Kane Tiki wrote:
My number 1 tip.... work out exactly how much raw materials you need before you start the build out and then buy about a quarter extra. You'll need it, especially if you're doing your first build. A lot of trial and error, that is screw ups, means you'll use more than you think. Also, If you can afford it, buy it all at once.

Excellent tip. Another good reason to do this is shipping costs. If you do not have a local source for bamboo, reed, other natural materials going into your bar - you often end up spending near as much money on shipping as the cost of the material itself!

M

The best thing I did was installing 2 hard wired plug mold strips in my center beam.

Ive got 6 plugs in the ceiling on each side of the center beam and can run swag chains from 12 lamps directly to the ceiling without having a bunch of wire and chains running down the walls to the floor.

Its great because I can turn all of the ceiling lamps on and off at the same time.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-08 09:45 ]

T

Thanks for adding your experienced opinion MM.
Your Tiki spot is one of the best home bars out there.
I gotta get one of my lights in your bar!
But MM is right it is so easy to get wraped up in getting done.
Or you may want/need to save money.
But if you do the hard work and or planning first all will be better.
A hard wired six gang outlet won't be as sexy as that new Bosko tiki,
But it will give you convenience that you will be glad you have later.

So you could say the very best thing you can do is plan, plan, plan!!

I would like to thank all who have added to this thread it will only be
as good as what you fellow TCers put in it.
Hate to see people waste thier time and money on stuff that won't last or work in the end.

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies