Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

how to install LCD TV on Tiki Hut

Pages: 1 22 replies

X

Hi All,

I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to install a 27" LCD TV on my 10 x 10 tiki hut. Does anyone have experience installing a TV on their hut? I was thinking about purchasing a bracket that swivels and tilts however I would like advice on the proper area to install and how to install etc...

Thank you!
Xtreme11

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Feb 1, 2012 7:07 PM

You're joking right ??

21st-century home entertainment technology is not an appropriate aesthetic for a true Tiki bar/hut.

Don't you want to escape from the modern world ?? That's the beauty of Tiki. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-02-01 19:16 ]

X

You're absolutely right and I respect your comments! I only want a TV to watch my favorite sports team when my kids hijack the TV inside.

Awesome!

You have any white walls ?

X

No walls - TV and mount would need to be installed directly on the hut like what you see on this link http://www.palmhuts.com/tikihuts/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_2145.jpg

I just don't know what type of brackets to use or what else I should keep in consideration for doing it proper.

I would appreciate your guidance.

Thanks!
-Xtreme11

Looks like you will need a Ceiling / Under Cabinet Mounts for Flat Panel Displays type bracket
look here for all types available: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828

But remember you will be mocked for putting a God forsaken "Devil Box" in a Tiki Bar!

B

Don't let the naysayers scare you off! You can have a TV in your bar and still keep a vintage vibe. I don't have pictures but I'm sure someone does....Don The Beachcomber in Huntington Beach has an old school black & white 12" tube TV behind the bar showing vintage surf films. I think Kirby's Rumpus Room has one too. Frankie"s Tiki Room in Las Vegas and Forbidden Island in Alameda have TVs behind the bar showing great old Polynesian and surf films but not sure what kind of TVs they have.

My plan was to do like DTB as I have an old 12" tube B&W TV and plenty of old surf and Polynesian VHS stuff to show. Unfortunately our bar is already loaded and I could not find a place for the TV. So while this may not be exactly what you are trying to accomplish here is what we did.

I took a vintage suitcase from Goodwill and used just the front half to save room. I found an inexpensive 23" LED TV to fit inside the suitcase. I installed a full articulating mount for the TV and attached the TV. to it. Then I took the suitcase, cut out for the screen, finished the opening with automotive edge trim and attached it to the TV. Hid the cables behind bamboo to the Blue Ray Wi Fi player. I need to finish the box for the player but I can also watch Netflix movies (like Jivarro and Jungle Heat) without the cable( I installed cable to the bar 6 years ago but it isn't near where we put the TV) Here are some pics...

When we are not watching the TV it is covered by a travel map

The DVD player

By using 1/2 of the suicase it has a narrower profile

I recommend showing South Seas Drive In (see Tiki Magazine reviews) type movies or vintage surf films when you are entertaining in Tiki Style. Otherwise watch what ever you want.

Sitting at the bar the TV works fine against the wall. When sitting (or lying) on the couch I can just swing it out for better viewing as seen in the last photo. Paint your walls in earth tones or cover with some type of tropical matting. Let me know if you want me to make one for you with the other half of the suitcase.

I would like to see how others have added a TV to their bar. Aloha

TV in a suitcase...I love it!!! What a splendid idea. If I had the money I would snag a Predicta TV for my lounge. They look awesome, would show retro TV shows but no sports...LOL

http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

Actually a cool idea Bongo, but are you having any heat issues with that enclosure?

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-02-02 19:02 ]

Looks like it's a front Chuck. I'm guessing no back for vent.

Cool Beans BoNgO!!!!!!!!!!

B

Not sure how much heat an LED TV puts out but there doesn't seem to be much. Info said that if it is run for 5 hours a day every day it will only use an average of $9.00 of electricity per year. Since it is just 1/2 a suitcase, the whole back is open and it does not seal against the wall.

In that case "WE" shall allow you to use the suitcase mount
but we shall be watching and waiting......for....something.......soooo...

Great idea Bongo! This post came right at the time I was thinking about how to hide a TV in our tikified guest bedroom. I have a small house and don't want to take up critical storage space inside of a cabinet. I thought about a wall mounted enclosure, but attaching the enclosure to the mount or the TV is a great idea! The enclosure moves with the TV!

Ron - are you using the TV's speakers or do you have it connected to a surround sound in the bar? If you are using the TV's speakers, does your enclosure effect the sound quality?

On 2012-02-02 17:30, bongofury wrote:
Don't let the naysayers scare you off!

Hi Xtreme,
Yes, please excuse our self-ordained Tiki police.
They mean well (sometimes).

Bongo has a tv in his bar?
I have lost all respect of the man. (great framing Bongo!)

Tonight I have on Hawaiian Tropics Bikini Contest (greatest hits)
(Not Tiki you say? Don't care, so go fuck yourself.)

On 2012-02-03 10:08, Unga Bunga wrote:
Hawaiian Tropics Bikini Contest (greatest _its?)

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2012-02-03 10:13 ]

Nice job hiding the boob tube!

Unless of course you have Boobs on your Tube, in which case, you gotta get that map out of the way and show them boobs the way God intended!

I recommend "Hawaiian Burlesque" from Something Weird Video. That has "intrigue", travel, and boobs.

Add it to the stacks.

--Pete

Ron that's a Gas!! :)

Thanks everyone. Unga Bunga.....I dig the bamboo around your TV. I think you posted those a long time ago and I had forgotten them. Great job. Polynesiac, the speakers are on the bottom so the case probably does interfere a bit . No surround sound for now. I just turn the sound up and it seems to work just fine or I turn the sound off and play the Rincon Room tunes. We were just at Forbidden Island and they had "How To Stuff A Wild Bikini" playing with the sound off while the DJ spun tunes. I would like to see what others have done with theirs. Aloha

Mrs. Fury found this so it will go next to the "luggage". 100,000 miles must have been quite extraordinary before jet travel.

Ron I love the luggage idea, I moght have to steal it :)

Hope you and Mickey are good

A

Bongo, what do you know of the history of that plaque? There was a Dan E. Dorman that was board chairman and CEO of First Hawaiian Bank about that same time, that would explain all the miles. I wonder if it's the same guy?

On 2012-02-10 16:03, bongofury wrote:

Jesus Christ!
So I have 999.99 miles to go?

Forget It! This club sucks. I quit!

Thanks for the info Mike.....we just got it and had not checked into the background. I like what you came up with and makes it much more interesting. Mahalo

Pages: 1 22 replies