Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki pictures updated 2/26/11

Pages: 1 15 replies

P

Hi, I am thankful to find your site and thanks to Sven i am here to display our items. I am searching for a good home for these gods. We discovered them in our garage wrapped up and hidden all these years. We do know they arrived here in the states in the 40/50s war era and the research has turned up nothing as of yet. I welcome your intrest.
To me they look ancient !
Also dispayed internal Honeycomb effect (inside tiki)
Sincerely, Peter
Upated 2/26/11

[ Edited by: Peter 2011-02-26 13:56 ]

Peter,

Is there any way to get some better pictures of these? Can you tell us where you are at and maybe the size and condition of the carvings?

Thanks,

PTD

From what I can make out they look very fibery, similar to fern wood Tikis, (there is a great thread here about those here somewhere) but some palm wood has a similar quality. But judging by the stylization of the carvings I would be extremely surprised if they were any older that the late 1950’s. And yes better pictures would be a big help,

Bosko

They look like tree fern Tikis to me. Here is a link to Sabu's comprehensive post on the subject. Better pics would be nice.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35730&forum=1&49

DC

P
Peter posted on Tue, Feb 22, 2011 3:49 PM

Hi , I agree. The picture quality on two of them is poor and I can retake a few more pics. These items came here in the 40s so the age is beyond that ( i believe ) . I will do my job and create better pictures if needed. Thank You . Peter
Ps. i have a group picture and need to get them on there(better quality) ! Ok

P
Peter posted on Tue, Feb 22, 2011 4:41 PM

Thank you Dc for that information ! That is so helpful. I hope this new pic I am creating will clear the air. It should be up in one day. Peter

C
Chub posted on Tue, Feb 22, 2011 10:54 PM

Hello Peter, where are you located? Please feel free to send me a personal message if you're in the Southern CA. area. and are looking to find them a good home.
Thanks, Chub

Hi Peter; For better pictures, try taking them outside and not using flash. The head-on nature of flash washes out all the carving details.

I agree, they look no earlier than the '50 to me. The paint doesn't help, but it's part of their history now.

Good Luck!

P

[ Edited by: Peter 2011-02-26 13:34 ]

Wow, what a great, happy fern family! A unique bunch. They should stay together.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-02-23 17:43 ]

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-02-26 22:18 ]

P
Peter posted on Wed, Feb 23, 2011 7:07 PM

[ Edited by: Peter 2011-02-26 13:35 ]

P
Peter posted on Thu, Feb 24, 2011 7:19 AM

[ Edited by: Peter 2011-02-26 13:32 ]

Peter,

Are you wanting to sell these?

If so, how much are you asking for them?

Where are you located?

Thanks,

PTD

Nice update, Peter! Boy they look ancient. Our member Babalu should get a kick out of that rabbit Tiki! :)

K
kirby posted on Sun, Feb 27, 2011 8:49 AM

Awesome pics peter and great treasures, make sure you store them indoors or they will deteriorate in the elements. also where are you located and what are you selling them for , I would love one of these for the Rumpus Room!

T

Hey Peter, the updated pictures are WAY better!! Funny how before in the shots the Tikis really didn't look that good or interesting and now how they have come to life and you really wonder where these all came from!

Thanks for posting!!
Mahalo, TabooDan

Pages: 1 15 replies