Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars / Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL

Post #624705 by TikiTomD on Sun, Feb 12, 2012 5:58 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
T

I framed another mini art print by Robert Jimenez (zerostreet), this one entitled “Summoning.” It now joins “The Fisherman’s Dilemma” on the left flank of the entertainment center in the Blowfish Bar...

I’m not sure what the artist’s concept was, but the somber expression of a hula girl dancing amidst flames is iconic for Pele, Hawaiian Goddess of the Volcano. The words of Herb Kawainui Kâne resonate...

“She is Pele-honua-mea, Pele of the Sacred Land. She is Pele-aihouna, Pele the eater of land, when she devours the land with her flames.

She who rules the volcanoes of Hawai`i, and Mankind has no power to resist her. When Pele is heard from, her word is the final word.

Possessing the power to create new land, Pele has a volcanic personality--an impetuous, lusty nature, jealous, unpredictable, capable of sudden fury and great violence. Yet she can also be gentle, loving, and as serene as her forests of ferns and flowering trees.

In folklore she may appear as a tall, beautiful young woman, or as an old woman, wrinkled and bent with age, sometimes accompanied by a white dog. When enraged, she may appear as a woman all aflame or as pure flame. Her sacred name as a spirit is Ka-`ula-o-ke-ahi, the redness of the fire.”

Reference: Pele: Goddess of Hawaii’s Volcanoes by Herb Kawainui Kâne (1987).

-Tom