Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Highlights from our Maui and Kaua'i trip (lots 'o pics)

Pages: 1 24 replies

H

Aloha, all! Here are a few shots from our recent vacation for anyone who'd like to take a look.

Hey, did you know that United serves Trader Vic Mai Tais on their Hawai'i flights?

Our hotel on Maui was on the west coast on Ka'anapali Beach, overlooking the islands of Lana'i and Moloka'i. There were plenty of cool touches all around the grounds -

These are carvings from one of the canoes they have outside the front entrance.

There is a great courtyard with a tiki bar, small grill and hula stage, as well as this big guy overlooking it all...

They have their own mugs at the bar!

Their menu...

Some shots from the Old Lahaina Luau -

Welcome mai tais...

Baz and I and our little grass shack -

Performers...

Every night at one of the hotels nearby, there's a sunset cliff diving ritual.

Also in Lahaina is the Hale Kahiko, a little open air museum of sorts right smack in a parking lot!

One of our biggest highlights of the Maui trip was lunch at Mama's Fish House. We almost had to sell our kidneys to afford it, but wow, was it sooooo worth it! Gorgeous place, lots of tiki touches, and food that was just amazingly good.

You know you're in for something special when you see the entry...

The appetizers, drinks and lunch were terrific, but the piéce de résistance was dessert - The Black Pearl...

We were in Maui over Halloween, so here's a selection of shots from here and there that were in the spirit...

The Keiki Parade on Front Street -

Next stop, Kaua'i.

Oh my what a treat...those pictures are awesome!!! I have never been to Maui so gotta go some day. :)

H

Now we move on to Kaua'i.

I know it's not tiki, but I'd be remiss not posting some shots of Waimea Canyon...

We stopped in at the new Koloa Rum distillery at Kilohana Plantation. There's a tasting room, and soon they'll be doing tours of the still itself, apparently. I've become a big fan of their dark rum! It's awesome in a mai tai.

Rum + Tikis = Yay!

We passed Coco Palms on the way north to Hanalei - the property has been off-limits for a long time. It's sad to see the state of it. Baz spoke briefly with some folks that were there who apparently had permission from the owner to clear away some debris, and they said there were no plans to rehabilitate the hotel. So sad.

Heading to Hanalei...

A very cool little shop right in town, chock-full of great Oceanic art...

Some of their artifacts and carvings...

This is a great little bar we visited last time we were on Kaua'i - this time they had music, which was fun. There were as many locals as tourists, if not more.

Baz approves of the beverages.

Back in the south, near Kalaheo, is the Hawaiian Trading Post. On their property is a wonderfully goofy set-up with 2 tikis and a "volcano". I don't know what that plant is, but it kinda works as "lava". Tikiphile landscapers who need a volcano in your yard, take note...

The place we stayed at in Poipu was wonderfully planted and had an orchid garden. I leave you with some pretty Hawaiian flowers...

J

Absolutely beautiful pictures and love how they allow us (whom have never been to Hawaii) to explore the islands with you!
I would love to have a night at Exotic Island for you to present the album to a group. We could project the images on the theater wall and round out the evening with music and beverages! Might be a wonderful mid winter respite for all northeasterners!

Wow! Wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing them.

H

Thanks for the kind words, all! :)

JPM - what a lovely idea! If you think people would be interested and you're willing to share your fabulous space, we'd totally be up for that after the holidays some time. We have waaaay more photos than what I've shown here, including some of Baz's more spectacular shots (surfers, Na Pali coast, etc). We could certainly edit something together.

Mahalo for thinking of it!

On 2010-12-05 09:43, Hibiscus wrote:
We have waaaay more photos than what I've shown here,

I wouldn't mind if you posted more Kauai pics. :wink:

Absolutely breathtaking, soooo wanna go.

Beautiful!!!!

Wow - great photos and looks like you and Bazza had a great time.

Hawaii has been on my list for a looooong time, but I think you just forced me to move it up a few spots...

let us know about any shenanigans that get planned at Exotic Island!

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2010-12-08 07:37 ]

H

Thanks for the thumbs-ups, everyone!

Hawaii is definitely worth the long flight (for us East Coast-types!). We kind of avoided going for years - now we've got the bug. This is trip #4 for us, and we're not 'over' it yet.

Hibiscus - thanks for the great photo-log. Beautiful pictures.

I'm really liking that volcano with the fire-red plant being the "lava". Really clever. I'm filing that away for later.

Is Havaiki located in Lihue?

H

On 2010-12-22 14:02, christiki295 wrote:
Is Havaiki located in Lihue?

Nope, in Hanalei, right in town. Totally worth a visit.

KR

So glad you stopped by Koloa Rum and took some pictures! Hope you enjoyed yourself and the rum!

T

Two islands I've not yet been to....Damn, I need to go. Thanx for the great pics. Hawaii, just always takes my breath away.

WooHoo! Tiki-rrific Pics....Wish we could all be there now :)

H

On 2011-02-03 16:58, Koloa Rum wrote:
So glad you stopped by Koloa Rum and took some pictures! Hope you enjoyed yourself and the rum!

It was certainly my pleasure! I've been treating the 2 bottles I carried back like gold. I'm hoping you can get it distributed in the Boston area, because I'm loving the dark rum! I've even told the buyer at my big local liquor store (Kappy's) to keep an eye out for it. He seemed really excited about it!

Thanks to tikiyaki and WooWooWahine for the kind words!

Hibiscus, where did you stay; take the floral photos in Kaua'i?
They are breathtaking.

H

On 2011-02-09 07:26, christiki295 wrote:
Hibiscus, where did you stay; take the floral photos in Kaua'i?
They are breathtaking.

Thanks! It's hard to take a bad picture there! We stayed in Poipu at the Kiahuna Plantation. They have some really nice little condos and an absolutely fabulous restaurant, Plantation Gardens. If you're on Kaua'i it's worth a look, just to see their garden and/or eat there, even if you don't end up staying there. This was our second time staying there - we really like it.

Aloha Hibiscus,
Any additional Kaua'i tips?
We will be staying near Lihue.

H

On 2011-02-11 07:11, christiki295 wrote:
Aloha Hibiscus,
Any additional Kaua'i tips?
We will be staying near Lihue.

Some options:

Drive to Hanalei and beyond to the "end of the road" at Ha'ena State Park. Kilauea Point lighthouse and bird sanctuary is on the way north - also worth a stop.

Once in Hanalei, make sure you take the back road and see the beautiful bay and pier. You can't see it from the main road. Stop for a bite and a drink at Tahiti Nui.

Waimea Canyon - an easy if twisty drive to the spectacular canyon. Keep going up the road past it to Kokee for more great views.

Na Pali Coast - by sea or air, whatever works for you and your budget.

Take a river cruise on Hawai'i's only navigable river - the Wailua River - and visit the Fern Grotto from there. Smith's has tours that do both.

Go to Kilohana Plantation between Lihue and Poipu to see the plantation, as well as the Koloa Rum distillery and tasting room on the property.

Sunset at Spouting Horn near Poipu - a good place to watch the sunset turn the waterspout pink and orange.

Restaurants we really liked:

22 North at Kilohana Plantation - lovely garden setting and super-fresh food, great cocktails with ingredients from their own farm

Plantation Gardens at Kiahuna Plantation - already mentioned this one! Lovely setting and fantastic food.

Keoki's Paradise - right across the street from the Kiahuna. One of the more tiki places on the island, if 'nouveau' tiki. Finish the meal with a Hula Pie! They have a 'sister' restaurant in Lihue - Duke's - which we didn't get to (but we did go to the one on Maui and liked it).

The Shrimp Station - a low-key little shrimp joint right in Waimea Town, with shrimp done in a variety of ways. Paper plates, affordable (for a change! :^) )

The great thing about Kaua'i is how small and accessible it is. You can drive from one end to the other and back in the same day and still make a some stops along the way. The drive along the north side is beautiful - twisty and very green, with a few one-lane bridges and views of mountains and taro fields, as well as some amazing beaches. It's a wonderful island - one of my favorites. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

PS - You pretty much MUST have a rental car on Kaua'i - you can't get around any other way.

[ Edited by: Hibiscus 2011-02-11 08:15 ]

KR

On 2011-02-04 14:07, Hibiscus wrote:

On 2011-02-03 16:58, Koloa Rum wrote:

It was certainly my pleasure! I've been treating the 2 bottles I carried back like gold. I'm hoping you can get it distributed in the Boston area, because I'm loving the dark rum! I've even told the buyer at my big local liquor store (Kappy's) to keep an eye out for it. He seemed really excited about it!

Thanks to tikiyaki and WooWooWahine for the kind words!

We will keep Boston and Kappy's in mind if we get to that area. Aloha!

[ Edited by: Koloa Rum 2011-02-16 09:57 ]

Koloa, I just sent you a PM. :^)

Thanks for the amazing photos and tips on Kaua'i. I hope to use them in the coming couple of years.

Pages: 1 24 replies