Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The New, Improved Kon Tiki Paradise Room...Pics

Pages: 1 34 replies

Well, folks, the weeklong project of installing our Lauhala matted and jumbo Moso beamed ceiling has just been completed. Boy, is the difference incredible...did the bottom quarter of the walls in Lauhala as well. It has a look of total tiki quality. Cost about 500.00 to take to completion, but worth saving the money for! Here are a few snapshots. Being here is better! Y'all come by.. Your Mai Tai awaits!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-05-17 23:14 ]

WOW!
It must be like you died and went to the Tiki Room. It looks incredible, very nice work.

L
laney posted on Sat, May 17, 2003 3:12 PM

That's it! I quit! :P
Really, very nice :D

BK, very nice! So when's the party?

Damn! I think it's worth a cross country field trip to see this. Beautiful work BK.

BK -

Is that my tiki pole in the 3rd picture? It's been a damn long time since we've even discussed them!

Amazing work by the way - can't wait to drink another 18 in the place!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-05-17 17:38 ]

M

*Is that my tiki pole in the 3rd picture? *

Yes, my question as well. Do tell. Would like little capions all-around. Descriptive, educational, maybe some music?

The place is beyond home-bar, it is near professional. Well done, and to think I was feeing pretty good about myself after getting a second bamboo plant this weekned.

Kudos, midnite

Anytime folks...you all have my e-mails. Tikifille...how about that deal we discussed? :)

K

wow! I will pretend Im not jealous.... I dont think its working. Great work BK all of it. Wish I was your neighbor you would have to boot me out every night ar 2:00 AM

We could swap carvings and likker....and hope Betty and Wilma didn't pep talk us too bad... :)

Ummm..I...uhhh..am working on it. Yeah, that's right. Working on it. Back to reality, no hope until after June 20th for any work around here. I promise all deals here-to-for mentioned will become de facto blah blah blah. Yeah, I'll get on it when summer break starts. Then we'll discuss shipping. I'm going to Colorado in August. Meet me in the heartland of America for a swap.

Holy Mackeral! That be one nice room.
I will drink in your honor.
Aloha
:tiki:

Wow BK!
That's extremely nice...you're one talented individual. Not only selecting proper decor items, but making a lot of them yourself.
Keep on the excellent work.

Ran

M
Mambo posted on Sun, May 18, 2003 6:04 AM

Wow! Unbelievable!
Looks almost like the Gauguin Room at the Mai Kai.
Maybe when you come down for Hukilau, you can help me do mine....

Yeah Mon.

S

And you guys aren't exactly seeing it right! I mean, in the proper low light, with the music playing and sipping the concoctions...

You've set a high bar my friend... er, was that a pun?

Thanks, folks...as is written in our menu, the KTPR is a labor of love designed exclusively for the hedonistic pleasure of our guests. I keep a fair stock of libations on hand at all times, there is a four drink limit (usually more than enough and just to the edge of the good mana/bad mana razor) and the cost of a night's stay in the suite is a mere 750ml bottle of good rum. Cheaper than a bed and breakfast and more fun, too. Select (well, most) Tiki Central members only (Think Telly Savalas and the Player's Club)... :)

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-05-20 07:54 ]

I know about the Hawaiian Cowboy, but I was unaware there was a Hawaiian banjo... if that's what that thing is. The ceiling looks great. I think you need an outrigger canoe up there.

That be a luke, or a round uke. It's actually smaller.

K

Hey BK,

That is easily the finest home bar I've seen! Nice work!

A question for you:

What diameter are the largest bamboo beams you used there? and the ones that cross under them?

Cheers!

pele

The largest run around 5 3/4 inches (Order the 5-5 1/2 Moso Pole from Oceanic Arts....either they measure from the narrow side or they are just very generous as I got two pieces that were 5 and 11/16th inches, and the best price around, although I haven't tried Ben yet and he is probably competitive). The bamboo underneath is 2 to 2-1/2 inch locally harvested Jap Giant. The stuff grows around here like a weed and can be found with up to 4-inch culms in these parts (but it takes forever to dry and change color; that batch has been in my garage for 7 months...while drying sprinkle some borax on it to keep pests out; also sprinkle a little in the hollows prior to installation). The lashings are two different sizes of sisal and jute rope. The ceiling and lower wall Lauhala is Oceanic Art's 3/4 weave in 4x8 mats. The upper walls and bar are reed fence. A pain in the ass to install as tape shows through so you just have to twist all the wire back when you cut but very reasonable (a 6 x 15 roll is 20.00 at our Home Depot.) Trim well around outlets and fixtures to keep it safe...cover with Moso splits trimmed to fit. We keep a fire extinguisher in the bar area as well, although we use no lights when we're not down there drinking...just good basic family safety anyway.

Just checked out your pics, beyond words BK. What the hell do you do for a living anyway? Build home bars? Too good for amateurs like us.

BK that room is beautiful! A toast to you.....

Wow! ..... just....... wow!

G
GECKO posted on Fri, May 23, 2003 3:16 PM

good job mounting evryting to da celing. lookin' cherry in there. add mo stuff fo'dat nice clutter look. I like da bars dat get choke decor in em. I cannot wait fo see my panels on your walls.

alohaz

Damn and I thought my bar was looking good because I put some fishing net on the ceiling...I'm in awe! Great work!

My Pi Yi Lanai should hide its head in shame!

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Lanai in exotic Bel Air MD!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2003-05-23 23:15 ]

T

On 2003-05-23 15:16, GECKO TIKI wrote:
good job mounting evryting to da celing. lookin' cherry in there. add mo stuff fo'dat nice clutter look. I like da bars dat get choke decor in em. I cannot wait fo see my panels on your walls.

alohaz

I couldn't of said it any better Gecko... no really I couldn't OK I'll try, yeah add mo' stuff! Real nice room BK you are an inspiration fo' real!

I must say that the weekend I just spent in the Kon Tiki Paradise Room was pure heaven. It did more to get me back into the swing of things than a four day R&R in Bangkok Dave is a master of mixology and his creation, The Paradise Room, is beyond words. Book your tickets and see it for yourself.

one of the best rooms i have seen posted since al and shellys, and this guy is in hillbilly town!!!!!. my beach snobbery just went out the window. you just raised the pole 10 notches. dang rebels.......

Very nice BK!

Question for you..

I was thinking about getting one of those tribal shields from Mystika, and I see you have one of them on the ceiling. How is the quality overall? Is it worth it? I was thinking of going down to pick one up since they are about 45 to 60 minutes away, rather than letting UPS handle it, plus I won't have to pay for shipping.

SCD

They are very nice...aside from the patina instead of earth pigments you'd have a hard time distunguishing it from a real Paupuan Gulf New Guinea clan spirit board..(that's what this is, incidentally, not a shield). These boards were clan property objects placed in the Haus Tambarin, or men's meeting house as a temporary harbor for an ancestor's spirit. They are excellent reproductions. He has some good stuff.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-05-28 21:12 ]

Basement Kahuna wrote:
...you'd have a hard time distunguishing it from a real Paupuan Gulf New Guinea clan spirit board..(that's what this is, incidentally, not a shield)...

Oh, ok, a spirit board! I just went by what they were listing it as on ebay.

Cool. Thanks. I'm going to get one for my place.

S

Images from 2003-2004 of the Kon Tiki Paradise Room in Clayton Georgia.

On 2019-03-06 10:40, Swanky wrote:

I hope that lad eventually regained his privileges and was able to bring his amp in the room.

Beautiful. One of my biggest influences when I decided to build my own space. Great to have photos again. What's the current status of this place Swanky?

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jun 5, 2019 5:18 AM

On 2019-06-04 09:23, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Beautiful. One of my biggest influences when I decided to build my own space. Great to have photos again. What's the current status of this place Swanky?

Long gone. Divorce, yadda yadda.

Select pieces remain in his collection, but on the MCM shelves in the living room.

Pages: 1 34 replies