Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai Tiki

Pages: 1 9 replies

R
Rain posted on Thu, May 15, 2003 10:53 PM

Just got back from watching the eclipse at Cocoa Beach -- there are many a Mai Tiki strewn around, and I even saw a bench advertisement for Wayne's showroom.

When I was a kid, my Aunt had a condo in Cocoa Beach. We were walking back from the beach one day, and we stopped to watch a guy sitting on a corner carving a tiki. At one point he cut himself and my mom gave him a bandaid, and all these years later, I can say "my mom gave Wayne Coombs(sp?) a bandaid!!!"

M

*When I was a kid, my Aunt had a condo in Cocoa Beach. *

When I ws a kid, well when I was actually a fetus, I was born in Cocoa Beach. Cape Canaveral Hospital class of '65. Live on the Cape, first houses next to the Space Center. Went back in '98 for the first time in 25 years.

No comment.

midnite

When I was in the area 2 years ago I went to the Mai Tiki HQ but it was closed! I tried to peer over the fence but to no avail. Then I went down the street to a storefront where they were selling the tikis and it too was closed. AARRGH! There was a sign in the window with a phone number for "Emergency Tiki Sales." Imagine calling at 2 am, "I can't take it any more I need a tiki NOW!"

On 2003-05-16 08:29, TikiGoddess wrote:
There was a sign in the window with a phone number for "Emergency Tiki Sales." Imagine calling at 2 am, "I can't take it any more I need a tiki NOW!"

That is genius! I will now sleep easier knowing that should I ever need a tiki in the middle of the night I can just make a call and get one.

R
Rain posted on Fri, May 16, 2003 9:34 AM

i think someone should try that emergency number at an odd hour and see what happens.

midnite - i hadn't been back to cocoa in probably 12 years or more, and WHOA was it different. i remember when ron jon was a wooden building with an islandy feel. now it's this faux-art deco crap covered in pastel colors and glass. yikes.

M
Mambo posted on Sat, May 17, 2003 4:33 AM

I lived in Merritt Island as a young teen from 78 to 82. Went back a year ago and BAM,
I was shocked to see how things have changed.

Yeah Mon.

I was unbelievably fortunate enough to see a night launch of the shuttle Endeavour a few years ago, from within the restricted area as a guest of one of the astronauts. It was too awesome for words! We stayed at the Wakulla Suites in Cocoa Beach, which was an apartment complex from the sixties(?) that has been converted to an extended stay-type hotel. These are two of the tikis (Mai Tiki, I presume) from the courtyard and pool area.

Found these about a week and a half ago on our cruise in the Caribbean (pardon the crappy cell phone picture quality).

Wayne would be proud!

T

Pages: 1 9 replies