Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Looking for a Military Collectible Expert

Pages: 1 15 replies

L

Any of you folks collect military stuff?

Hats, bayonets, books, flight suits, helmets...etc...?

I am helping to sell off a pretty massive collection of WWI, WWII, Korean, Russian, German military shwag and i know nada about it.

If you happen to be into this sort of collecting or can lead me to someone who may be able to offer value information I would appreciate it.

Just pm me on here .

I can always provide pics in the future too.

Thanks in advance.

TM

Post pictures of any object you can't identify, and someone like myself or Little Lost Tiki can probably tell you what it is. Then go on Ebay and search out similar items to get a ballpark price.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 5:39 PM

On 2010-10-01 17:39, GROG wrote:

That is a mongol helmet, most likely from the low level officer in the army of Genghis Khan. Cast in bronze circa 1211 using the last wax process. If authenticated, it's current value based on recent auctions would range from $100,000 to $150,000 but perhaps more on the black market. Any other questions?

TD

On 2010-10-01 17:39, GROG wrote:

That is worth 2 in the bush.

On 2010-10-01 16:09, leleliz wrote:
Any of you folks collect military stuff?

Hats, bayonets, books, flight suits, helmets...etc...?

I am helping to sell off a pretty massive collection of WWI, WWII, Korean, Russian, German military shwag and i know nada about it.

If you happen to be into this sort of collecting or can lead me to someone who may be able to offer value information I would appreciate it.

Just pm me on here .

I can always provide pics in the future too.

Thanks in advance.

On a more serious note, call your local museum and talk to one of the curators. They will be able to identify your stuff and/or put you in touch w/ an expert. Or call the local VFW. They'd be more than happy to go over the stuff w/ you.

W

Why did this topic end up in Bilge? Unless the thread was created as a joke this topic is just as legitimately Beyond Tiki as any other Beyond Tiki thread. And it's far less Bilge than at least half a dozen threads that are cluttering up other forums.

i sold several ww2 items on ebay about 2 years ago, i just searched ebay for similar items and created an initial price based off the info i found.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 2, 2010 12:26 PM

That's a good question Woofy. GROG posted this World War 2 weapon to see if Lucas Vigor or LLT could identify it.

On 2010-10-01 16:32, lucas vigor wrote:
Post pictures of any object you can't identify, and someone like myself or Little Lost Tiki can probably tell you what it is. Then go on Ebay and search out similar items to get a ballpark price.

Maybe it was moved to bilge because Lucas Vigor had posted on this thread and so many of his posts are in bilge, so somebody automatically figured it belonged in bilge. It was guilty by association.

GROG
GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-02 12:40 ]

L

Although I could care less where my thread ended up whoever moved it go back and read Handord's definition of Beyond Tiki and Bilge.

From my understanding BEYOND TIKI - are topics that are beyond tiki talk that people may also be interested in

BILGE - is for the annoying crap that seems to be posted every hour on the hour on here. I am surprised someone has created a spinoff of TC and named it BilgeCentral.com already.

Lame to whoever moved the thread.

ANYWAYS...
Thank you for the legit info/possible ideas on where to get more info posted here AND Thanks to everyone who has pm'd me as well.

TM

On 2010-10-02 12:26, GROG wrote:
That's a good question Woofy. GROG posted this World War 2 weapon to see if Lucas Vigor or LLT could identify it.

On 2010-10-01 16:32, lucas vigor wrote:

Maybe it was moved to bilge because Lucas Vigor had posted on this thread and so many of his posts are in bilge, so somebody automatically figured it belonged in bilge. It was guilty by association.

GROG
GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-02 12:40 ]

Maybe it's a trigger for an old land mine? Or an old-fashioned torpedo?

Or maybe it's just a prop from the movie "wild wild west" featuring Will Smith...you know? One of those steampunk thingies.......

Or maybe it's a tuba mute, (like what Little Lost Tiki used when he played Tuba in his high school marching band.)

One thing little lost tiki knows is good Tuba playing!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 2, 2010 2:16 PM

"Maybe it's a trigger for an old land mine?"

Close. That was a good guess.

GROG played tuba, not sure about LLT.

W

*"Although I could care less where my thread ended up whoever moved it go back and read Handord's definition of Beyond Tiki and Bilge.

From my understanding BEYOND TIKI - are topics that are beyond tiki talk that people may also be interested in

BILGE - is for the annoying crap that seems to be posted every hour on the hour on here. I am surprised someone has created a spinoff of TC and named it BilgeCentral.com already."* -leleliz-

1. I think "the annoying crap that seems to be posted every hour on the hour on here" is only annoying when it's posted outside of Bilge. If it's posted in Bilge I can't really have any expectations for it.

2. I think there should be some explanation from the Powers That Be as to why a thread like this ended up here. This is a legitimate Beyond Tiki subject. A lot of people don't look into Bilge because they rightfully assume it is only full of "annoying crap that seems to be posted every hour on the hour..." Those people will miss this thread.

As there was no explanation for this thread being moved I have to assume that someone at the railroad switch either feels leleliz only creates threads which belong in Bilge or that WWII is a subject only meant for Bilge. (If it's the latter I hope the rail switcher is aware of the influence that the American GI experience in the South Pacific during WWII had on the development and spread of Tiki culture in America.)

H

You should contact Glen Tomlinson in Hawaii. He is a serious collector, and runs the best Military History themed tour on Oahu. He has a facebook page - home of the brave tours - and a website - http://www.pearlharborhq.com. He also has a very cool little Tiki Bar in His Museum in Honolulu.

or, i am sure there are "militaria central" message boards that you could visit and ask folks there.

their "bilge" forum is probably called "trench water" or something...

here is one http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/
here's another http://warrelics.eu/forum/
here's oen for british stuff http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/
here's one for the deutsch stuff http://militariaforum.germanmilitariacollectibles.com/
and there seem to be several more.

it seems that the author of the Book of Helmets (BOH) is having a book-signing/show... :wink:

[ Edited by: johnny dollar 2010-10-08 08:48 ]

On 2010-10-04 13:09, Hulaville wrote:
You should contact Glen Tomlinson in Hawaii. He is a serious collector, and runs the best Military History themed tour on Oahu. He has a facebook page - home of the brave tours - and a website - http://www.pearlharborhq.com. He also has a very cool little Tiki Bar in His Museum in Honolulu.

I agree with this recommendation but want to emphasize how this tour is by far the best Pearl Harbor experience possible. It makes "pick-ups" at the major hotels, gets into secret areas on all bases active 12/07/1941, breaks for lunch at an officer’s club and has excellent prices in the Tiki bar/ museum. Here is a link to the tour details and one to their new brewing company.

http://www.pearlharborhq.com/pearl_harbor_tour.html

http://www.hotbbc.com/

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 15 replies