Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / Best TIki Movies

Post #556765 by bongofury on Tue, Sep 28, 2010 7:55 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

Well.....I would not call Isle Of Forgotten Sins a "Tiki" movie, but I would call it a decent South Seas Drive-In Movie. It's better known alternative title is "Monsoon" (to bring in the audience of the popular "Hurricane" movie}. It was written & produced by Edward G. Ulmer who was better known for some of his work in Film Noir. The storyline is a little different than that of the white man exploiting the natives to bring them pearls. Instead they are after a sunken treasure of gold. This movie did have a very good cast with John Carradine, Sidney Toler (Charlie Chan), and Gale Sondergard ( Sherlock Holmes nemisis, The Spider Woman). I recommend it.

If you want a "Tiki" movie I think "Pearl Of The South Pacific" (for authentic Tikis) or "Pagan Island" for Idol worship (not authentic......but fun). In a more G rated fare I would go with "The Adventures Of Johnny Lingo" (an update of Aloma Of The South Seas)shot in the Cook Islands with good local carvings.

For movies that are "Polynesian Pop" Tiki I would go for movies that were shot at Tiki Bars like:

A Kiss Before Dying & Crime Against Joe-Pago Pago-Tuscon
Hell's Half Acre-Don The Beachcomber-Waikiki
Forbidden Island (with Martin Denny)-Trader Vic's-Waikiki
Seven (not the Brad Pitt one)-The Tiki's- Monterey Park
Jungle Heat (Les Baxter score)- Coco Palm's Bar-Kauai
The Breaking Point-Christian's Hut-Newport Beach
Suffering Bastards-Hawaii Kai-New York

These movies have incredible interior & exterior shots of those bars that were usually only seen in photos & postcards.
Unfortunately with the exception of A kiss Before Dying, these have yet to see a commercial release. Then there are a bunch of movies in Polyesian Restaurants shot on a movie lot, the best I can think of right now would be "The Blue Gardenia","The Apartment" and "The Stratton Story" all of which are available.