Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events / Ding Dong Devils CD now out! Tassels, Mai-Tais & Mischief!

Post #546323 by JOHN-O on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 6:59 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 6:59 PM

Here's my review:

THIS IS TIKI MUSIC !!

The Ding Dongs actually sing about Tiki culture, there can be no debate.

My favorite songs were:

1. Rob Roy - Have you ever actually tried to order a Rob Roy from a bartender who didn't know what it was? I have. That's this song. (OK, maybe not Tiki but I did identify with it :) )

2. Ballad of a Taboo Image - Sure maybe there's been lyrics about Tikis, but was there ever a song sung from the perspective of a Tiki ?? (Well maybe the Enchanted Tiki Room but I've never been). This song tracks original Tiki-style, the devolution, and then the revival.

3. Tassel Hassle - I thought they were singing "Tassel Castle" (a fez ??). Fun song but I think my original take on the lyrics are better. :)

4. Theme from "The Belly Dancers of Bali Bali" - I suspect there's actual Poly-pop history behind this. Was this a movie? I need to research it.

5. Sufferin' Bastard - Was there ever a song based on the actual ingredients for a Tropical drink ??

6. Mai Tais in the Moonlight - More homages to the Tropical drinks that we love.

7. I Carry a Tiki Torch for You - They name drop "The Bahooka in Rosemead" !!

8. False Idols Put a Curse on You - A sad song about the Tiki devolution. And in a perfect Tiki world provides a just end to the guilty.

If you consider yourself a true Tikiphile then this is a must have. Organize it alphabetically next to Martin Denny. :D