Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events / JOHN-O's Koreatown Mid-century Bar Crawl

Post #556120 by JOHN-O on Sun, Sep 26, 2010 8:40 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
J

Some of you had asked about the K-Town bar we didn't make it to. I stopped in on Sat night for a quick drink so I took this exterior shot. Here's some background in case you want to check it out on your own...

Frank and Hank's is on Western Ave, just a few blocks north of Wilshire Blvd. It dates back to 1933 which would make it one of the oldest bars in Los Angeles. It feels like it too. A lot of people might consider this bar a trashy dive, but to me it just oozes historic charm. It's currently run by a nice Vietnamese lady by the name of Snow. The vibe is local and friendly (unless a show at the Wiltern just let out) and drinks are cheap and strong.

Rumor has it that Charles Bukowski was a regular but a lot of LA bars older than the 1960's will make that claim. At least they don't insist the Black Dahlia drank there (but I do think my late father did in the late 1950's).

It's very nondescript from the outside, you could drive past it a million times and never notice it. Street parking in the immediate area sucks but just keep driving several blocks north on Western and you should find a spot.

Could this be the greatest bar in LA ??

Yes, I think it is. :)