Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events / JOHN-O's Koreatown Mid-century Bar Crawl

Post #550859 by JOHN-O on Sun, Aug 29, 2010 2:52 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
J

Pictures now, story later. I'll be gradually adding captions and a crawl report to this post. If you're interested keep checking back over the next several days.

1. The Prince

This frozen in time mid-century "steakhouse" is located in the historic Windsor Apts. The following link provides a comprehensive history...

http://www.latimemachines.com/new_page_57.htm

The Prince is now a Korean bar but the interior decor is essentially unchanged from the 1950's (and maybe even earlier than that). It's often used for period film and TV shooting (Chinatown, Mad Men, etc).

The feedback that I got from a lot of the crawlers was this was their favorite spot of the evening. Be warned the prices are pretty high for well drinks (about $10, but if they charge you different prices for the same drink in the same night, don't be surprised.)

Left to right…

A quarter of Debbie's face, SoccerTiki, Al-ii, PolyPop, Tiki Bird, Crazy Al, and Clerisse.

Left to right…

WooHooWahine, Chris (of chrisandsarahb), Drunkycrow, Debbie, and Drunky's friends Jen and Armen.

Drunky (Sketch) and his friends are serious mixologists. They're new to Tiki so we'll probably see them at Tonga Hut Sundays.

It's Tonga Hut regulars Joe Banks, Sheriyaki, and Tonga Tom outside of their native habitat.

My hat's off to Joe Banks. He was ordering Tropicals at every bar we went to (even though he knew better). That's a hard-core Tikiphile.

1. HMS Bounty

UtopianDream's face poking out on the left.

And is that Martin Cate on the right ?? No, it's Jason.

Your humble crawl guide on the far left.

1. Crazy Hook (aka the crazy Korean pirate bar)

A Tiki !!!

Bora Boris, showed up !! He heard there was a Tiki on the crawl. He was not pleased with its quality however.

That's my friend Millie on the right.

New TC member Drunkycrow (Sketch) on the far right with friends Armen and Jen.

It was great to meet you guys !!

1. Dan Sung Sa (aka the Kim Jong Il bar)

This place is so hard-core Korean, they don't even have an English sign.

Inside, we could have been drinking in Seoul.

At this point, only the most dedicated left crawling.

Crazy Al contemplates his frog legs...

Vandalism by an unnamed TC member...

These are Korean "balls". 4 Korean men gave it up just so SoccerTiki could have a midnight snack.

This is fresh octopus...

1. Frank N Hanks

Didn't happen. Maybe next time.

Thanks to everyone who came out. It was fun !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-29 10:29 ]