Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Relight The Night Thanks to everyone! It was a blast!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies

We are really excited as Relight the Night is really taking off! We've got people coming out from Tucson (of course), Phoenix, New Mexico, Colorado, California and even New York. People have already started making reservations at the Kon Tiki and hounding them for the limited edition event mug. Just to clarify that, the mug is available to buy now but you gotta pick it up in person. Please don't call the Kon Tiki for the mug, you can get it here:
http://www.kontikitucson.com/relightthenight/relightmug.html

We've acquired the services of Max Cannon, who will MC the evening's event from the outside stage.

If you're unfamiliar with Max and his work, here's a link to his web site:
http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/

Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Tickets bought in advance include a free Kon Tiki shot glass (another Squid special), which can easily be filled. Buy 'em here...
http://www.kontikitucson.com/relightthenight/relighttickets.html

The Tikiyaki Orchestra will be performing 2 sets INSIDE the Kon Tiki. The first set will be a dinner set starting around 8:00. The Kon Tiki doesn't usually take dinner reservations, but as they're anticipating a lot of people, they are for the Tikiyaki Dinner Show. between 6pm and 7.30pm. Give 'em a call directly to make a reservation (520)323 7193
Here's a link to a handy seating chart. We'll do our very best to keep updating this as quickly as possible, but please understand if your table choice is unavailable:
http://www.kontikitucson.com/relightthenight/relightseating.html

The hotel just a short crawl away (no car necessary) has offered us a special rate of $105. For more information and a link to booking look here...
http://www.kontikitucson.com/relightthenight/relighthotel.html

Join the Mailing list or friend us on Facebook for updates.

See you in April!

http://www.velvetglass.com

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2010-03-22 17:27 ]

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2010-04-15 03:26 ]

little more hint as to what's going on?

Jeff(btd)

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO! :)

We're in!

:D

fijifingers is in ..........

Wow, really cool poster Mark and Maggie!

Another great event at the Kon Tiki in Tucson, how can I pass that up?

L
LHR posted on Tue, Dec 22, 2009 4:03 PM

What is it?

Well, we can tell you that these two swingin' gentlemen will be there.

any music,
the Surf Side IV from Phoenix might be cool.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

On 2009-12-22 17:46, cheeky half wrote:
Well, we can tell you that these two swingin' gentlemen will be there.

Yes, and one of them is single ... LADIES?

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2009-12-23 10:51 ]

No worries BTD, we've got music, mugs, merriment and ............FIRE!

We could use some help lining up the LADIES for Doug though.

a little Birdy slipped some of the Entertainment for the event to me.

You Can Bet I will be there for sure.
AZ. road trip!!

Jeff(btd)

Can't say we are in...but we are in-trested , we will be sitting on the fence till we gather more info..or moss. Unless it becomes a RSVP by set date....8)

Wow...I just went to the Velvet Glass web site...this rum is better than I thought..If you stare at the pretty lady long enough she winks...how is that for good rum...8)

She must really like you Tropical_Icebergs :wink:

We think you'll want to come on out and and see for yourself.....

Relight the Night on April 10, 2010 will be the first time in at least 20 years that the torches in front of the Kon Tiki will be seen in full blazing glory!

The torch lighting ceremony will be officiated by Flam Chen, the incredibly talented pyrotechnic theatre troupe. Check out their web site to see glimpses of their brilliance.

http://www.flamchen.com

It's gonna be a great new year!

B

This sounds like fun! Unfortunately I live too far away and have too little money! I haven't even been to the Kon Tiki - although my parents did - and they HAD to have a couple of King Kamehamehas (I THINK!?) just to bring home a couple of the trademark orange Tiki mugs! My parents REALLY go the extra mile for their kids! LOL Be sure to get LOTS of pictures when the time comes. Living vicariously through rum!

There will be plenty of pics but we can't be held responsible if looking at them makes you wish even more that you had been there in person. :wink:

We are working on a hotel package to offer out of towners. As soon as we get the details settled we will post it here.

In the meantime, in case you didn't get enough of them over New Years (and really, who could ever get enough of them)..............

The gents of Tikiyaki will be providing tropical tuneage and exotic goodness.

T

yay....we can talk about it now !

Yes, The Tikiyaki Orchestra has the privilege of performing for the grand re-lighting of the Kon Tiki Torches. Good times in Tucson !

The privilege is ours kind sir. GREAT times in Tucson!

On 2010-01-05 13:06, cheeky half wrote:
GREAT times in Tucson!

WooooooHoooooooo! We Can't Wait!!

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Jan 5, 2010 5:14 PM

MOST EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you still in newlywed bliss Woohoo? Do you think you'll make it out this far c-67?

We'd love to see you all!

There will be some bastards there too... hula hooping bastards... aka Thee Swank Bastards!

On 2010-01-05 17:33, cheeky half wrote:
Are you still in newlywed bliss Woohoo?

Our Honeymoon Tour will continue...Yes, we will be there to watch those torches get lit :) WOOHOOOO!

Velvet Glass and Squid have made a mind blowing limited edition event mug but.......

We'll have pics soon though!

I know its a long ways off,
but it will be here before you know it.
so, bump.

Man, oh man... this looks awesome.
Denver to Tucson's a stretch, but miles be damned.
There gonna be advance tix for this thing?

Damb. First visited some 25 years ago. Would love to make it back for this....will have to see as things get closer. Unemployment won't quite cover the airfare. Luckily, I'd have a place to stay.

Thanks for the bumpity bump btd!

Miles definitely be damned CC. Hotel, advanced tix and all other pertinent info will be available on the Kon Tiki web site next week. We'll post here when it's up.

25 years ago staredge? Were the tiki torches lit back then? We are trying to figure out exactly how long it's been since flames adorned the facade of the Kon Tiki. If anyone has any info on that or pics - feel free to chime in.....

On that subject, Louie (the manager of the KT) is bringing the torches up to code which will require new funnel bits. Here's a pic of the bottom of the old ones. (don't worry they will be kept and reintegrated into another part of the KT)

S

Might actually be closer to 30....and I don't remember. Would have been about 10. I still remember general things about the evening...like wanting a bowl drink and my parents saying no!!!!! :D

Would love to be there. I didn't get to go the last time I was home (3 or 4 years ago), and not sure when I'll get to come back.

Nobody's going to stop you from having a scorpion this time staredge and the hotel is within walking/stumbling distance of the Kon Tiki so it's all good!

Here is the event poster for Relight the Night.

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2010-01-26 16:22 ]

Shweet!

Is Mark going to come in on a flying trapeze and light the torches? Wearing ballerina slippers and a pink tutu? I'd pay big bucks to see that.

Nice Poster!!

Jeff(btd)

CJ

BTD...Thanks for the compliment.

Coco... The Meet Rack is indeed quite an 'experience'. Not for the faint of heart if you ask for 'The Tour'. However, they actually have one of the original Milan Guanko tikis that was stolen from the Kon Tiki many years ago by some frat boys. You can see it there, along with other items of local color.

Swampfire...we really need to talk.

T

THE Mark , THE Maggie ! Nice poster. Love it. Desert, here we come !

On 2010-01-22 18:19, cheeky half wrote:

Coco... The Meet Rack is indeed quite an 'experience'. Not for the faint of heart if you ask for 'The Tour'. However, they actually have one of the original Milan Guanko tikis that was stolen from the Kon Tiki many years ago by some frat boys. You can see it there, along with other items of local color.

I felt like I was in a Quentin Tarantino movie when you guys took me to the Meet Rack ... "Bring out the Gimp". I became a man that day my friend.

Doug, or anybody else interested in carpooling for the road trip?

Jeff(btd)

Did you people out there notice the THEE SWANK BASTARDS are playing this show.

OK, a little bit of an update. We've fiddled around with the Kon Tiki web site and added a Relight The Night section where all the pertinent information will be stored. It's not completely done yet as there are a few little details we still need to work out, but here's a link...

http://www.kontikitucson.com/relightthenight.html

What we do know is that the Viscount Suite Hotel just a block away has offered us a great rate of $125 per suite (it's usually $165) The place is literally a short rum-soaked stagger away and has very comfy suites, a pool, a bar, a restaurant, an atrium, several elevators and ice machines. What more could you possibly need in a hotel?

Here's a map...

And yes, beelzebozo, Thee Swanky Ones will be gracing us with their pastied presence

On 2010-01-26 11:11, beelzebozo wrote:
Did you people out there notice the THEE SWANK BASTARDS are playing this show.

Who?
never heard of them.
:o :wink:

will be good to see you guys again.

Jeff(btd)

This is going to be so great! I really hope I can make it to this historic event and of course indulge in my favorite feast at the Kon Tiki.....RIBBBSSS!!! Not to mention a few Scorpion bowls:)

You can make...make plans now :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 10:52 AM

3 months is a long time, GROG a last-minute kinda guy.

On 2010-01-27 10:52, GROG wrote:
3 months is a long time, GROG a last-minute kinda guy.

Set your stone sun dial ahead

It's only 9 weeks Grog. Better check your sundial.

Grog's sundial needs to be rewound.

Grog still hibernating. Sundial work in rain?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies