Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

New Guy, New Bar

Pages: 1 34 replies

Greetings all, Ive been lurking here and looking at photos for a few months now, while Ive been building my bar in my basement. The project is far enough along that I decided to join the group and post a few pics. As Ive learned here already, its never really done, and is a perpetual work in progress. please tell me what you think...The standing tiki actually grew as you see it. Last year I had a tree blow down in my yard during a wind storm, while I was cutting it up I saw the human figure in the branches and cut it out as is. I plan to add a better mask in the near future. Oh by the way. Sterling Beer is from a now defunct local brewery. Ive been collecting their stuff for several years.
Thanks,
Randy

L

More beer/man cave-ish than most of the home tiki bars posted on here...but I do appreciate the bedpan filled with peanuts :wink:

I am sure it will evolve as you get more sucked in to this forum...but good start and always nice to have someone new post.

It does seem a bit bright.....but I think thats because you have a lighter wood on the walls.

Good start and always good to have a place built in at home to drink!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-12-15 20:08 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Dec 15, 2009 10:29 PM

Welcome aboard.

The anatomically correct Tiki is hilarious.

It appears brighter in the photos than it really is, I used a long exposure to compensate for no flash. While in the Air Force, I spent several years on Hawaii, Guam and Okinawa. Ive got alot of souveneers that will be put on display, but Im kicking myself for all the things I didnt buy while there or discarded when it was time to move. I could really use that stuff now.
I bought the tiki torchs at a end of summer sale and electrified them, they look cool with the flickering candle bulbs.
Anyway here are a few more pics

Very nice! What are the pictures under the bar top?

D
Dan posted on Wed, Dec 16, 2009 9:39 AM

On 2009-12-15 19:50, USAF Retired wrote:
Oh by the way. Sterling Beer is from a now defunct local brewery. Ive been collecting their stuff for several years.

A bit off tiki, but I understand that Falls City is going to be back in the Louisville market soon.

Kinda has a bit of a Buffet, parrot head vibe to it.
bring it over to the dark side of tiki and really get the mellow vibe going.
its very light in there.
paint the ceiling tiles black.

Jeff(btd)

A

Nice looking space. The bedpan for peanuts is pretty funny. Looks like a nice place to hang.

I hate to ask but I gotta know: What comes out of that spout in the crotch of the tree? I hope it's not related to the peenuts...

TM

On 2009-12-16 10:42, bigtikidude wrote:
Kinda has a bit of a Buffet, parrot head vibe to it.
bring it over to the dark side of tiki and really get the mellow vibe going.
its very light in there.
paint the ceiling tiles black.

Jeff(btd)

I gotta go with BTF on this. However, it is better then my home bar (which is non-existant).

The great thing about this forum is there is a wealth of information regarding home bars, decor, music, etc...and a LOT of experts. People like Crazy Al and Bamboo Ben and so many others here can really set you in the right direction by following thier example of things they have built.

You might also want to check out any of Sven Kirsten's books (Bigbrotiki on this forum) because he has spent a lot of time documenting and defining the poly-pop art movement. This is to be distingushed from the Jimmy Buffet/vaguely tropical-party city type tiki decor that most of the general public thinks of when they hear the word "tiki".

People here discuss the historically correct drinks, decor, music, etc....welcome aboard!

On 2009-12-16 13:38, freddiefreelance wrote:

I hate to ask but I gotta know: What comes out of that spout in the crotch of the tree? I hope it's not related to the peenuts...

Nothing comes out of it, but it IS pointed at the bed pan for subliminal purposes.

The bar top itself isnt finished yet, It is actally like a shadow box with a plexiglass top, I am going to fill the box with sand, shells, postcards and other pieces of flotsam and jetsam that I collected from the islands including two genuine Japanese glass floats that I found washed up on Guam.

As for the lighting, I think the photos are deceiving, but I suppose I could tone it down a bit.

The ceiling tiles are actually cheap straw beachmats stapled to the ceiling joists, but thats a subject for the Tiki On a Budget forum

its a good start but the color of the wood fencing and walls doesnt seem to provide enough contrast.

Its a fairly pale color palette. Maybe stain the fence boards a slightly darker color

If upgrading the wall coverings to lauhala or bamboo board is out of the question... or getting some split bamboo up on the walls...then maybe some color lighting in strategic spots might help add some more texture.

Raincape thatch on the roofline over the bar could be helpful too.

The lighting should be less "general" (like that ball lamp in the middle of the room) and more directional. Something that points into a corner... or a upward lamp that illuminates the wall. General lighting washes out the decor of the room and makes it feel less like a hideaway

Glass float lamps would provide both color and accent but no true "lighting" in the room.

preferably no white walls or ceilings and deeper wood colors and natural tans and browns...

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2009-12-16 16:09 ]

guacamole works better in a bedpan. trust me! some get it. some don't. it's a matter of taste.

p.s. welcome new bar dude!

Ever tried doin' rum shots from a catheter?
A whole new level of fun!

T

Nice start.
Welcome to TC.

Ok Ive taken you guys advice and toned down the lighting, I stained the wood walls and tinted the white concrete a more natural tan color. I also put 7 watt bulbs in the lamps, in place of the 40 watts that were there. Hopefully there will be some "Tiki Stuff" under the Xmas tree so this perpetual project will evolve some more. Wow this stuff is fun and addicting.
Here is a few pics taken last night. The temp in the basement is in the 60's but the girls acted like it was in the Artic and wore coats., despite my encouraging coconut bras and hula skirts :wink:

L

Now THAT is looking good ! What a change!

Excellent!

so much better,
congrats

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 24, 2009 11:48 AM

On 2009-12-24 10:54, USAF Retired wrote:

These are your best additions to the bar, so far. Be sure and post pictures with hula skirts and coconut bras.

That's the best thing about this forum, people giving advice to get the right look and that genuine Tiki atmosphere. Looks great man!
Tofa
Trader Bob

A good point has been raised... Heat your tiki bar rooms gentlemen traders! Turn up the heat so as to create the desired atmosphere and clothing levels. This may be almost as important as the elimination of white ceilings!

Look what Santa brought me today, Apparently he has connections at tikimaster. Who knew?

you've been hard at work these past couple weeks. Nice changes.

Nothing better than a home bar to relax in!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-12-27 01:25 ]

3 years ago, I posted those first pics of my bar...alot has changed since then and I figured an update was needed.

Wow..what a difference a few years makes. Looking good.

I have a couple important questions to ask however...

1. Is that really Frankenstein tending bar or is my mind just on halloween cause it is showing up in stores everywhere?
  2. How does a guy end up with, not one, but two different leg lamps?
  • Dale

On 2012-09-06 18:46, littlegiles wrote:
Wow..what a difference a few years makes. Looking good.

I have a couple important questions to ask however...

1. Is that really Frankenstein tending bar or is my mind just on halloween cause it is showing up in stores everywhere?
  2. How does a guy end up with, not one, but two different leg lamps?
  • Dale

yep...Franky is tending bar.. it was a cardboard Pepsi display from last Halloween, About a week before Halloween the manager at the local convenience store told me I could have it after Halloween, then he couldnt believe that I stopped at the store at 6:30am on Nov 1 and asked for it...Franky was holding a can of Pepsi that I carefully cut out and inserted a can of beer.

I made the leg lamps...The opaque one is an actual prostetic leg...the translucent one is a stocking display...both are flea market finds.

Very Cool. I like the leg lamp. Its cool when people throw in thier little oddities to thier Tiki room. Makes it all thier own. But ya! That sure is a difference from the first time you posted till now. The collecting just keeps going, It never stops. :D

USAF, I like your bar-really nice place. An aviation piece or two would look right at home in your tiki bar, flyboy!
Thanks for your service,
Cheers

MN

Yesss, thanks for your service!!!! Show us the coconut bras and hula skirts! :)
Great bar!!!

Your tiki collection has really grown!

Your bar is looking good.

It looks like many layers have been layed down over time! Thanks for sharing everyone's comments have me laughing especially the bed pan jokes.

Looking good...love all your re-purposing!!!

Pages: 1 34 replies