Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

For those Unable to go to Mondo!

Pages: 1 22 replies

M

Here is your first Glimpse at the Shag Mug!

I'm in love with it! lol

http://www.martinimatt.com/

[ Edited by: Mattio on 2003-04-19 17:30 ]

T

Ohhh that just plain hurts.

...yeah, that just plain hurts.......now show us more of the goodies ya picked up there!!!...hahaha!

B

Oh sure, rub it in!

Hey, is that a bowling trophy back there?...nice

M

On 2003-04-19 23:16, bamzeno wrote:
Hey, is that a bowling trophy back there?...nice

Its A Women's Trophy from 1957 :P

the only other goodie I got was an autograph

Killer Mug!

T

Looks like someone helping out those of us who could not attend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3219865860&category=29460

glad you made it , wish we could have met. I got the green mug, just wait till poly pop posts his mugsniker :wink:

S

Did you see the Hukilau posters? We sent a batch to Otto and hope they got there in time.

On 2003-04-20 11:48, hula hula wrote:
...just wait till poly pop posts his mug

Yeah, that's what you get when you try to limbo on sand covered concrete with a slippery 32oz Mondo Tiki mug filled with Jungle Juice...... :wink:

Now that really hurts.....

P
PJ posted on Mon, Apr 21, 2003 4:43 AM

Was Munktiki there selling stuff?

T

Such shocking behavior from a superagent PP.

Sorry to hear about that mug, Pop.

About the e-bay posting; it is so nauseating to see someone go and get their mug, have it signed, then immediately put it up on e-bay. I know it sucks and he probably doesn't feel the same as me but I don't know if I would keep signing things if I were Shag. It is very cool of him to turn his head to this stuff and keep it going for the real fans.

L
laney posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2003 9:13 AM

Spike, We have debated this moral issue before but last time it was free gifts that someone was selling on ebay after the Tiki Bash. It's an interesting thread with good points on each side.
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1304&forum=1&start=0

I think selling free gifts is much worse than reselling purchased items.

Luckydesigns wrote:
...I don't know if I would keep signing things if I were Shag. It is very cool of him to turn his head to this stuff and keep it going for the real fans.

I understand your point Spike, and completely understand your feelings. Here is something to think about:

Shag, unfortunately has fans of all types, and can't (shouldn't) determine who is a "real fan" and who isn't. There are fans who love to collect his stuff and will keep it forever. There are also fans who love his stuff solely because they turn a nice profit (especially overseas), and do not personally keep anything, except the profits from reselling. For Shag, or any other public figure, as long as anyone and everyone keeps coming for more, he's more than happy to give them a little of his time, and a signature or two on an item, whether it's kept or resold.

I've been on both sides of the table, as a collector and as a dealer. In reality there is no right or wrong side, just one's own personal views as to what one believes is right.

Should buyers not buy from someone who is reselling, for example, a signed Mondo Tiki mug?

Yes, it would be nice for everyone that buys, for example, a Shag mug, to go ahead and enjoy and treasure it always and not resell it. BUT, I for one am going to look for that one person that will SELL ME a Mondo Tiki mug for a fair price since I couldn't be there! I want to buy one and enjoy and treasure it! The only way for me to do that is to buy it from someone who was there to get one...and will resell it to me!

Spike, let's say that The Smokin' Menehunes took off and you guys are just in high demand and super poplular. You make CD's, and they're a hot seller. You have people coming up to you at your sold-out concerts asking you to sign their CD. Are you going to say "NO" because you are afraid that it will end up on ebay?

hmmmm......would you?

Spike, its just my 2 coconuts worth, you sentimental guy you.

L

Hey, I bet Shag is tossing and turning in his money filled bed over people reselling his signature. Boo Hoo :(

I knew this would drum up some talk. I remember that post about the Tiki Farm gift bag thing, Laney. I agree that that situation is far much worse.

SCD, I totally know what you are saying. I guess it was really just my opinion about how I felt. Is it different if somebody sits on their signed decanter set for a couple of years and then sells it? Probably not, I think that it was just the immediacy of the situation that got me. This guy/ girl had to be first out the door to get the mug on the e-bay. I wonder if they were telling Shag to hurry up and sign it so that they could get home and post it. I might just be talking crazy now.

But see, I agree with you too. It is nice that someone such as you, who missed out on the greatest tiki party ever, can get thier mug too. I guess it goes both ways. I hope you are gonna get out to Palm Springs for the Oasis. Should be a blast!

Oh, and if the Menehunes ever got big and sold out the Paladium, there's no way I would sign CDs for fans. But that's just because I don't like people. Plus that would be taking me away from time with all the groupies. I hope you know I'm kidding.

That's a good point too. I spent the day during the NAMM show with James Burton, a friend of a friend. Burton played guitar with Ricky Nelson, Orbison, Elvis in his TCB band, and countless others, even on some of the Ventures' records. He doesn't sign anything except glossy promo photos because he is such a legend. If he were to sign a guitar, the worth of that guitar would skyrocket. It's like athletes charging for their signatures. When do you get so big that you don't give out your signature for free anymore?

I may have taken this off track, but it is an intersting topic nonetheless.

C

I went to Mondo with the understanding that you could only buy one Shag mug. I bought the green and as my friend was about to purchase one, the next person in line bought 5. She got two and I then bought the yellow. Had I any idea I could buy more I would have brought more money and offered one in trade for the upcoming Hukilau mug. Darn. The green mugs are probably gone but it looked like there were a lot of yellow mugs left, are we sure they sold out? Wouldn't Tiki Farm be selling the rest? They weren't sold through Hard Rock like the plastic mugs and hurricane glasses.

[i]On 2003-04-22 12:50, Luckydesigns wrote:
That's a good point too. I spent the day during the NAMM show with James Burton, a friend of a friend. Burton played guitar with Ricky Nelson, Orbison, Elvis in his TCB band, and countless others, even on some of the Ventures' records. He doesn't sign anything except glossy promo photos because he is such a legend. If he were to sign a guitar, the worth of that guitar would skyrocket. It's like athletes charging for their signatures. When do you get so big that you don't give out your signature for free anymore?

I remember reading that when Mike Tyson was in prison, they had to forbid him from signing anymore autographs for the inmates; as a prisoner, you can't have sellable commodities "inside", and his autographs were like cash, and good cash at that!

I wonder how many cartons of smokes his autographs went for?

Lucky/SCD

I love to see the signed Shag stuff bought and sold. Signed, unsigned, mugs, posters, whatever. Everytime a shag item sells it makes me appreciate the value of mine. If they weren't getting auctioned how would we ever know the true value of our collectables.

Aloha Mondo Missers. We'll be bringing some of the Mondo stuff that was overlooked at our booth, to our Oasis booth for those of you who missed out on Mondo. It's always "Happy Hour" at the Bamboo Ben booth!! (happy hour ie; killer deals!) See you's at OASIS!

Pages: 1 22 replies